Kekkon suru tte, Hontou desu ka - Vol. 3 Ch. 20 - Can You Share Your Life? (Part 5)

Contributor
Surprised that he revealed it to everyone in his family, but it would have spread quickly anyways.

Dex-chan lover
I don't think the dad's wording is accurate, but I also wouldn't say MC is satisfied. If he was, we wouldn't have much of a story. The main pair enjoy being alone, but that doesn't mean they're never lonely. They're not making an effort to forge connections, to have even one close friend. So it's like the dad is pointing out his son isn't working on himself? He's still a wimp, no confidence blah blah. Can't make friends even if he wants to. And has simply accepted this, seemingly... Uhh or that's my take anyway. I want to be careful so as not to imply that people who like being alone are lacking somehow, and I hope and believe this comic isn't saying that either. Butyeah.

Dex-chan lover
Either she's thick or he's weak.

Can't wait for him to fall in love 🤣

@zetina i was taking it to mean his dad was trying to say he has no ambition and he's letting himself just drift with something he's not happy with. i don't think the message here either is that people who enjoy being alone are unfulfilled or anything like that, i think it's more you shouldn't just isolate yourself from everyone or you'll miss out on the world around you (like the two's comments back in the chapter they went on the Ferris wheel.)

@brainman i don't think the mc is either but i think he himself is aware he's lacking something that the leading lady fulfills. i do think his dad should lay off him but i can understand part of what his dad's saying, there's nothing wrong with wanting to aim higher, just as there's nothing wrong with being comfortable where you are, but if you linger in one place you may end up missing out on something better. (that said yea his dad is being old fashion about marriage, you can live a fulfilling life without being married, if anything though i'd say the mc should at least open up a little more socially so he can live as happy as can be, simply due to humans being social creatures by nature.)

In the end it's just a disconnect of what the MC wants and what the father envisions a life worth living. The dad has a stable job and large happy family (reject modernity, embrace tradition, amirite?). The MC has his cat and has a stable enough job to support his single life. There's nothing wrong with both of them. The only question here is if the MC truly enjoys this happiness. In short, 'happiness' has different values (might be relative or real quantifiable value), can be long term or short term and most importantly mercurial. For example how long is the cat gonna stay with him? What does he do afterwards or if he gets fired from his job?

Yeah I think that the conflict here is differing views of wants and ambition between father and son. I interpreted "drifting aimlessly" as not having goals/plans/ambitions and just settling for "good enough". Yeah the MC has a stable job and companionship with his cat (though iirc, his cat has put financial strain on him and might do so again if he stays with his current job so perhaps he is not always financially stable. This is speculation though), but his father probably wanted him to do more with his life, as cliche as it sounds. I may be forgetting and/or mis-remembering some details but it has felt like before the mc and fmc really committed to their plan and caught feelings for each other, the mc was just getting by and things were just "good enough", nothing more and nothing less. His dad probably just wanted him to live for something bigger than himself. And I argue that the mc x fmc relationship/marriage is that "something". Companionship with a person, moreover a significant other, is different from companionship with a pet, and the dad, with his traditional values, views the prior as more meaningful and the anchor that will prevent his son from drifting. Even if mc and fmc get married (hypothetically for true feelings not just to avoid moving) and go back to exactly how they were living before with the same job and such, there is now this additional purpose in life to support their spouse and not be complacent with where they were before. "Me" becomes "we" and life has a different pace.

This is my optimistic and "read between the lines" interpretation and the fsther-son conflict.
Heck, the notation of "something bigger than himself" can be seen as adding fluff and "sophistication" to "get married, have kids" lol.
In reality, the author's intention could really be that mc is only "drifting" because he isn't following traditional expectations. Either way, it was fun thinking about this and writing it up lol.

Dex-chan lover
well she's gonna meet his family they basically already married

also, CHAD GLASSES GUY VS VIRGIN RENTAL POSER

Dex-chan lover
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world." —Takuya's dad, probably
Being content with current life, doesn't mean that both our MCs aren't drifting aimlessly. They had no goals, no friends, nothing except their work and cat/maps thing and this wouldn't change if not for their fake marriage project.

Dex-chan lover
Binge read this from scratch today...they are still awkward between them but are slowly accustomed to each other.

Dex-chan lover
@googoober i know right 150+ chapter of lying and not telling the truth vs like idk less than 10 chapters of lying and not telling the truth.

Dex-chan lover
FM: *Has heatstroke*
MMF: *puts her in a futon and blanket in the middle of summer*

Users who are viewing this thread