Kemono Jihen - Vol. 17 Ch. 66 - Tanuki

Dex-chan lover
As they often say show don't tell. But I'll take telling me over this 'Telling me the opposite of what you just showed me'. Man the first 20 chapters were great, 20-40 were pretty good, 40-60 were fine, and now the death spiral of packing in characters and random plot tangents has hit critical levels.

Thanks for the Scanlation and Here's hoping they can get back to the core cast/narrative

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
Wait... that 'guy' with mole are female all along ?!!! Did I miss something ?

Dex-chan lover
Kitsune are shapeshifters/illusions. Even their "normal' human appearances are them just shifting. The times they look like foxes are their real selves.

His normal self is male.
that makes no sense tho, they have an sex bro! he call them FEMALE KITSUNE !!! the fox form has SEX bro learn some biology! and even then learn that the Kitsune in this case of folklore they do have biological sex even if they can use illusions

Dex-chan lover
that makes no sense tho, they have an sex bro! he call them FEMALE KITSUNE !!! the fox form has SEX bro learn some biology! and even then learn that the Kitsune in this case of folklore they do have biological sex even if they can use illusions
...I never said they didnt have a biological sex.

But the HUMAN FORMS ARE ILLUSIONS.

Thats...been known since early in the series. How did you...miss that?

Go back and reread. Inugami is literally a tanuki. Kon/Inari/Nobimaru/etc are foxes.

The human forms we see them as arent their real forms. Its magic.

Nobimaru is a male. The two girls with him are female. But right now he, Nobimaru, is using an illusion of a female human instead of a male one like he normally appears as. But its...an illusion. Its not real. Something they've all (the animal-demon ones) been doing since the start.

He is still a male fox demon. Its really not that complicated to understand.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
A more philosophical question will be what is the actual gender of a shape shifter and the answer is none, but here they are clearly defined as foxes,tanukis and so and so. So the comment you were replying to was correct, Those are their “supposed colloquial forms” that they use infront of humans ansd us readers. that is exactly why Imo the most kitsune-ish in this manga is nobimaru.

Dex-chan lover
I don't get the plan here, they said males can't enter the village. So is Nobimaru ACTUALLY female, or is that defense barrier so weak it can be fooled by a kitsune's illusion?

Dex-chan lover
So, for people who are confused about the situation, Nobimaru is the most capable shapeshifter among the foxes. Most foxes can only manage one (human) form and are specialized in other fox magic. This is most obvious with Kaede, who isn't even able to maintain a human form anymore. Changing his (human) gender is just part of Nobimaru's repertoire. The other foxes can't do it.

What Nobimaru is probably thinking of doing is try to test the barrier with actual females, his gender-changed self, and a crossdressed male, to see which would be allowed to pass by the barrier. Given the sometimes whimsical and often just plain dumb way kemono magic works, he might have a point here.

The way hilarity usually ensues in this manga is to have the main team also crossdress their pretty boys and try the same trick. My guess is that both sides will manage to pass three members each. The foxes will have the two girls and Nobi pass, the heroes will have Kon, Mayo, and Akira pass.

Users who are viewing this thread