Kenshi wo Mezashite Nyuugaku shita no ni Mahou Tekisei 9999 nan desu kedo!? - Vol. 4 Ch. 17 - Fluff-Till-You-Drop Paradise.

Dex-chan lover
It's a bit awkward to read "the late xxxxx" when said person/creature is not yet dead. (Unlike those bandits; those guys are definitely screwed.)

Dex-chan lover
Oh I'm "looking forward to the fun" too... by the way you ARE "the fun" bandits

Dex-chan lover
Oh yeah... all of you bandits are going to have fun of dying by the hand of 10 year old OP girl, and her other two compassion who are also powerful... Not to mention, there's another OP woman....

Dex-chan lover
I wonder whether the bandits will be put iin eternal storage.

@Ncararc

Yeah. The term “late” mesns recently deceased or, when applied to a title, former; and neither fits this case. A proper term would be “elder”.

If you go by the Urban Dictionary definition of "fluffing" this chapter has a very different feeling to it...

Dex-chan lover
@Oeconomist @Ncararc yo im the PR, actually the word used in this case basically means "former" in japanese. It's like kings, once you have a new king (even if the old king is still alive) hes no longer the king. Which is why it works, i probably should have used former but it didnt occur to me at the time

Dex-chan lover
@banjomarx

The problem is that “Haku” appears to be a name, rather than a title (the titles appear to be “Sendai” and “Holy Beast”), and the elder Haku is still called “Haku” at various points, without some new name or even a modifier. Further, the younger Haku does not seem to have assumed any prerogatives or responsibilities beyond those of an heir presumptive.

It really seems that “elder” would have been the better choice.

Dex-chan lover
@Oeconomist @banjomarx While I personally would have preferred "former" (or "previous"), it is a minor thing and should be treated as such (unless this were a class on stylistics). Anyway, thanks for your input guys.

Edit: true, "elder" works too.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, those bandits... they're acting like the latest "cocky guys who are strong" in One Punch Man. They'll end up just like those guys too, when they meet either the sage or especially Laura.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm a bit confused, didn't some bandits already plot to raid the village and steal the egg? I thought that's why it ended up in the river.
Now it's suddenly due to torrential rains, and the bandits are only about to make an appearance.

Dex-chan lover
@banjomarx

What is the Japanese term that you're translating as “late”?

Again: The younger Haku does not seem to have assumed any prerogatives or responsibilities beyond those of an heir presumptive; so, whatever the title, she doesn't seem to hold it yet.

There was a character in Catch 22 named “Major Major Major” who was assigned the rank of major, making him Major Major Major Major. However, no single instance of “Major” therein was both a name and a title, and he didn't lose a part of his name in the creation of the title. If “Haku” were both a name and a title, then the entitled Haku could be called “Haku Haku” or “Haku the Haku”.

Dex-chan lover
@AsuraRaza

Were it not for the general tone of the series, a theory that the egg had got into the water as a consequence of the previously planned raid would have been reasonable. But the tone of the series is incompatible with the raiders doing much personal damage to the villagers, and the build-up before the raid wouldn't make much dramatic sense were we to learn that the villagers had successfully thwarted the raiders though the egg had been lost.

Users who are viewing this thread