Killer in Love

It seemed interesting at first glance, however after the
chap where MC stabs the "stalker" (by now, idk if he rly is one, this seems to be one of those stories where some weird plot twists may happen)
things got pretty stupid. It may be interesting to read after more chapters get released

Power Uploader
The art style, the atmosphere, and the whimsical plot all remind me of that Tsubasa-chan killer manga. Let's hope this manga won't suffer the same fate.

@asdgfh I wasn't gonna bother with this manga, but what you said had me curious. Looking at chapters 3-4, my layman's guess is that in many US jurisdictions you could make a fairly solid case for self-defense on the part of the MC. However, the author mentioned several "conditions" that would need to be met for Japan's legal system to make that consideration. The truth is that the situation is similar here in the states as well.

Stateside, I think you'd need all 3 of these things at bare minimum to be true (ultra simplified):
Opportunity - You were able to be harmed
Intent - There was an intent to harm you
Jeopardy - You were in actual danger of being harmed

There's much more to it. This article seems to be fairly consistent with my findings. It's worth a read.

Even in the US, affirming self-defense is a messy process highly driven by emotion. Things you say, things you thought you did vs things you actually did vs things someone else thought you did - They all come into play, usually against you. You might get a crappy attorney, a vindictive prosecutor, a prejudiced judge, an ignorant jury, and an insufficient evidentiary/discovery process. You might also be wrong, despite what you think. I'm not getting a lot of information on Japan in English other than some vague notions similar to what I described above, hence why I'm citing US law. The Diet does seem to recognize that self-defense is justified in cases of imminent harm to yourself, and reasonable force seems to be a real sticking point.

In chapter 3, we see the MC take a knife from an assailant who already demonstrated intent and opportunity by grievously harming a nearby colleague. The MC then fled (retreated), was then pursued by the assailant, and became jeopardized when the assailant brandished a second knife and begun to attack him. The MC then swung the knife in his own hand and stabbed the assailant in the stomach - the assailant ceased the attack and desisted, fleeing (escaping) the scene. The MC did not pursue, chase, or further antagonize the assailant.

It looks good on paper, save for the fact that the MC caused grievous bodily harm. He did not unnecessarily antagonize the assailant nor did he approach the assailant with intent to fight or escalate. Multiple witnesses present should in theory corroborate his story. The issues we see in ch.4 onward are some of the things that can screw you in the US: at least one witness took a photo of the aftermath that suggested the MC was the assailant. It was the only photograph of the incident thus far, and the strongest evidence. In this case that one witness changed the narrative intentionally or otherwise and that could sink him right there. The other is that even though he was being attacked with a knife by someone who already used it to harm seconds prior, stabbing the assailant may still fail the reasonable force clauses in Japanese law.

Lastly, the MC was not able to speak to the police coherently or accurately, nor was he willing or able to continue his defense through legal counsel. It is highly likely that he botched his own explanations and everything he said will be used against him. The things he didn't say may be seen as admission of guilt. A Japanese judge used to dealing with the guilty (over 99% conviction rate) could almost certainly convict either way.

So what's the answer? I don't know, but he's probably fucked in court and he's definitely screwed socially for life. With Japan's high suicide rate, the poor kid might not make it no matter what happens. Life ain't fair, gentlemen. Know what you're doing and be strong enough to choose your fate.

I'd like to think that the FMC is up to something.

@youdontknowwho Oh you mean the one that got cancelled because of the authors health?? Oh man that shits good tho kinda sad it got to be cancelled.

MC in cover: Yea come at me bro, I've been on battle royale.
MC in the story: Just a normal dude with social anxiety.

....Why do I do this to myself?

In all honesty, even though the ending left the series off on a bleak and depressing note, this was actually a really good psychological thriller. The character's inner thoughts, his desperate rationalization of his actions, him essentially disassociating from reality and reason, dedicating his life to Kokoa only to realize the absurdity of the circumstances is so... Ugggghhhh!!!!

Every little thing from Kokoa never experiencing genuine, real love to Ryuto's deep-seated self hatred and esteem issues from childhood to forces completely outside of their control makes for an interesting yet gut wrenching story of two hollow people who think they've found the one thing in they need to be complete but discover they never will.

Rating: 8/10 - Fantastic art style. Amazing buildup of Tension. Absolutely guaranteed to leave you empty inside👍🏼

- A Knav without a Name (Yes, the E is still there.)

Double-page supporter
The plot is not that interesting, there is no likeable character, and the ending is suck lol
4/10 for me

Double-page supporter
A very twisted and grim way to end the story, giving us no hope whatsoever, not even a glimmer of it... Perhaps this was for the best, it started with a sympathy bias towards the MC, to the author finishing it with a very thin parallel line, putting both characters in such a spotlight that it was easier to sympathize with them. They are both broken people, and unfortunately neither of them could get their happy endings. Perhaps in another life...

ending open asf but chapter 36 page 8 kinda gives us an "update" by showing us she liked him after allat and even went to visit him like she promised but ofc the MC hates her (understandably lol) unless im seeing incorrectly

You know, I can only read so much about horrible people doing horrible things and making each other worse while the narrative blames it all on their upbringings. It just begins to feel like an immature outpouring of adolescent frustration. And it's not that one can't tell an interesting story about such issues, but that a story like this is the most basic and uninspired way to do so. There is no complexity to these characters and their actions, reducing them to "I was neglected so I seek attention or validation". They hardly act human as it's all wrapped up in a barely plausible chain of actions only thinly justified by their neuroses.

Users who are viewing this thread