Kimi no Koe - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - Your Voice Is

Dex-chan lover
Bruh, are ya'll not seeing the manga art it's of volume 5 while we're still at volume 4? Spoil yourselves as well...

Group Leader
C'mon man. A random earthquake. It suddenly destroyed the building right before them? Give me a break.
To be fair, this is a real earthquake that did happen in Japan and it did in fact cause such major widespread death and destruction that it possibly influenced the entire political landscape of the country for the next 30 years at least.

The fact this story takes place in the late Taisho era also foreshadowed this event pretty early on for those who know Japan's history. Like, this wasn't just any ol' earthquake, this was THE earthquake. It might be the deadliest earthquake known to the modern world.

Dex-chan lover
To be fair, this is a real earthquake that did happen in Japan and it did in fact cause such major widespread death and destruction that it possibly influenced the entire political landscape of the country for the next 30 years at least.

The fact this story takes place in the late Taisho era also foreshadowed this event pretty early on for those who know Japan's history. Like, this wasn't just any ol' earthquake, this was THE earthquake. It might be the deadliest earthquake known to the modern world.
I'm not talking about historical accuracy, I'm questioning the narrative timing and execution. This timing and placement is so abrupt that it risks taking readers out of the experience because it is so suddenly depicted and for reasons so obvious. The way it was drawn also makes it not work well, for me. If they had taken more time to show the earthquake and have the two of them running from it, then that would have felt less mechanical. Instead it's the last sudden page. It's all too coincidental because it's all too abrupt and badly placed within the chapter by chapter format. And we all know why it was done that way (which is part of the issue).
Then there's what happens after this event that, to me, is even worse but we'll get there when we do.
This event doesn't feel natural to the story developments. It needs more than just being in that time period.
And again what results from this event just compounds the obvious decisions the author is making to manufacture drama in ways that are to me unnecessary and cliche. The routes they choose to go in are melodramatic but maybe when we get there others will disagree.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
Nah, I genuinely shed a tears when she call Kazunari (this hit me because I remember the PV that include this scene) then the earthquake happen looll.

Anyway, fuck Claude. Despise him.

And now i kinda realise every manga that happen in Taishō will include Kanto Earthquake ffs in a way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread