Kimi no Koe - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - Your Voice Is

Group Leader
I'm not talking about historical accuracy, I'm questioning the narrative timing and execution. This timing and placement is so abrupt that it risks taking readers out of the experience

Again, to be fair on that note, it's entirely possible the next chapter will have some of that going on too. I also don't think there's any better place to put it than at the end of the chapter - after all, the real thing also came out of nowhere for thousands of people who were blindsided by it in real life.

I do get how it can seem like such awful timing to happen right here where it did, maybe a little bit cheesy or overly dramatic. This earthquake also happens in another Taisho period piece anime/manga about vampires, and imo that one pulled off the timing a lot better.

Sadly, I doubt this manga will go into much detail about the horrible things that happened after the earthquake. It's hard enough getting one of these to acknowledge WW2 war crimes, but that time it committed a double dose of ethnic cleansing of Koreans and genocide against leftists during peacetime is just about as bad.

Dex-chan lover
Again, to be fair on that note, it's entirely possible the next chapter will have some of that going on too. I also don't think there's any better place to put it than at the end of the chapter - after all, the real thing also came out of nowhere for thousands of people who were blindsided by it in real life.

I do get how it can seem like such awful timing to happen right here where it did, maybe a little bit cheesy or overly dramatic. This earthquake also happens in another Taisho period piece anime/manga about vampires, and imo it pulled off the timing a lot better.

Sadly, I doubt this manga will go into much detail about the horrible things that happened after the earthquake. It's hard enough getting one of these to acknowledge WW2 war crimes, but that time it committed a double dose of ethnic cleansing and genocide against leftists during peacetime is just about as bad.
I disagree. They could have reunited at the end of this chapter and had the earthquake start during the next. It's being sudden doesn't mean it has to happen here. It would be sudden no matter what because earthquakes then were always sudden. But the writer wanted a nice "stinger," so this is what we get.

They could have seen the destruction around them and as they fled together, they could have become separated just the same. The story could have depicted the earthquake better while also not having this event feel so much like "shock value," and melodrama.
A lot of how I feel about this stems from what happens as a result of this event, so that's a lot I can't say until we get there. This has 5 volumes and a 6th incoming. There's a lot more stuff passed this to get to. While I enjoy where it ends up (for now), I don't really like the decisions leading to it and this is one of them.

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
I disagree. They could have reunited at the end of this chapter and had the earthquake start during the next. It's being sudden doesn't mean it has to happen here. It would be sudden no matter what because earthquakes then were always sudden. But the writer wanted a nice "stinger," so this is what we get.

They could have seen the destruction around them and as they fled together, they could have become separated just the same. The story could have depicted the earthquake better while also not having this event feel so much like "shock value," and melodrama.
A lot of how I feel about this stems from what happens as a result of this event, so that's a lot I can't say until we get there. This has 5 volumes and a 6th incoming. There's a lot more stuff passed this to get to. While I enjoy where it ends up (for now), I don't really like the decisions leading to it and this is one of them.
Can you spoil a bit of what happened after this? I also find the author's decision for this chapter to be a bit overdramatic

Dex-chan lover
they are fine, no one died since next volumes cover shows them together, the next volumes cover is the manga art on this site...
Yes I already know what happens but the issue is with the execution, and this isn't the end to the drama.
Also how do you get spoilers to show as a blur rather than the spoiler button?

Dex-chan lover
Can you spoil a bit of what happened after this? I also find the author's decision for this chapter to be a bit overdramatic
He's going to lose his memory soon and all the stuff that comes with that. Volume 5 is all about his lost memory and forgetting their relationship, basically. We're at the start of volume 4. It just personally starts to feel soap operaish but that's just me. I'd rather they faced internal issues rather than this list of random external issues. They would obviously be together already, so we've replaced the typical random misunderstandings with this list of external events to keep them a part for longer. I'm just not a fan of that choice and like the writing enough to desire more. I won't go into too much detail beyond that.
Writing is a lot about execution though so maybe you'll be fine with how it's handled.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Tell me the next chapter's gonna be related soon!!!! I CAN'T FRIKIN WAIT!!!

He's going to lose his memory soon and all the stuff that comes with that. Volume 5 is all about his lost memory and forgetting their relationship, basically. We're at the start of volume 4. It just personally starts to feel soap operaish but that's just me. I'd rather they faced internal issues rather than this list of random external issues. They would obviously be together already, so we've replaced the typical random misunderstandings with this list of external events to keep them a part for longer. I'm just not a fan of that choice and like the writing enough to desire more. I won't go into too much detail beyond that.
Writing is a lot about execution though so maybe you'll be fine with how it's handled.
Annoying garbage. Thanks for the info, will be dropping this immediately.

Dex-chan lover
This author is a huge sadist mf... Drama is sometimes good to a story and couple development, BUT THIS AMOUNT is just dropping inducing. I don't read romance mangas to be sad and depressed, and lately this is all we have here. WAY TOO MUCH, DUDE. Any story has to be a breather room, may it be on comedy, drama, action, or whatever. Otherwise, the pacing go downwards spiral, and DRAMA is even more needed, as this get the reader to feel bad emotions, which obviously are not good for anybody.

Dex-chan lover
If that's true… Then an almost masterpiece will be reduced to just "another romance manga with too much drama where the author don't have good ideas about human connection and relationships". Feels bad, really liked the manga.

Double-page supporter
"laughing in quarantine"
no, not laughing... definitely not laughing...

Users who are viewing this thread