Kimi wa 008 - Vol. 5 Ch. 40 - The Reason

Dex-chan lover
@V3AME

It's how even the teachers refer to him. It's more or less a codename for him, and he only tells his "real name" to friends.

@agtra This isn't some 'high brow' manga though, is my point. This is Syun Matsuena. Nobody is reading this for his ability to craft deep characters or an emotional storyline. This 'plot' device serves exactly as it was intended, an easy segwey into these two being comrades in an ecchi comedy series.

Dex-chan lover
@MagnificentEgo: HSDK was actually pretty good at that and the series had some great moments. It started to get bad later on when he started to focus too much on the overpowered masters and slowed Kenichis development to a crawl (which lowered sales and he tried to force too much each into it). But he did a really good job of developing characters and their motivations. There was plenty of nakama power to be sure, but there was some depth as well. Nothing against this being clichéd, though. I enjoy it quite a bit (though I am still bitter than HSDK fell so far and then was canned by the magazine).

Dex-chan lover
@Abedeus

The problem here isn't just " oh he used the word friend, cringe!!" it's that it's almost entirely undeserved. Codename emo there only actually worked [with/i] Kenichi ONCE, and has been snubbing him literally ever since. They're roommates, but no more than that. If he'd said literally anything else, up to and including " I want to BE your friend!" it would've made that scene much more tolerable.

EDIT: Eita, not Kenichi. They honestly look so much the same I legit forgot who I was talking about.

Dex-chan lover
What better reason than that? Sure, not buying the BS "Friendship is power" deal, but it sure is fuel for a fiery determination.

Users who are viewing this thread