Kindan Shitei de Breakthrough - Vol. 2 Ch. 6

Dex-chan lover
We have entered wuxia territory now with this weird Chi pressure points and acupunture.

Also Mom's name wtf 😆

Omg the parents are fine. Why are there so many people with insecurities.

Dex-chan lover
Ok so their parents aren't actually a jerk, they just doesn't know how parenting works, they're trying to cheer him up by saying they won't get disappointed if he lost but it ended up insulting him, and their case is basically the same as naruto in boruto, they are just too busy, and the whole expectations of him because he was the hero's son made it worse, so I'm hoping that the parents and the princess got a redemption because their conflict is clearly because of misunderstanding

Aggregator gang
So I stumbled onto this story while browsing and read the latest chapter and the comments for that chapter then went and read the subsequent chapters in the LN due to curiosity. Everyone in the comments there as well as here called the MC's parents trash and many cited this scene claiming that the parents laughed at him. This seemed to me to be the parents trying to tell him from a realistic perspective, "Glad that you're going to try to win, but it's okay if you don't. We'll be fine with you either way." And due to the history of the MC seeing everyone as comparing him to his father, which people have, he took it as them thinking he wouldn't win. It could be that because he has a history of losing, per his own words and what we've seen that they responded that way and not with, "OMG, we believe you'll win, you can do it!" like everyone seems to want to them to say. I've said things like that to my children (I have 4) so that they don't get stuck when they hit an obstacle. Because people get stuck when they hit obstacles and end up depressed. So it can go both ways. You can encourage someone into consistent failure. I've said to them before, "It's okay, try something else. That might not be your thing. How about this?" That's what a parent is supposed to say. I think too many people have a storybook idea of what parenthood should be. This idea that parents should always encourage their children to do the same thing even if the child fails. Which could also lead to an "I'm just a failure" complex because people think parents should tell them over and over again, "try again, you can do it!"

When they achieve something I give them praise. When they fail something, I tell them it's okay. I might encourage them to try again (we're at the teenage years of MC now) and after a while, if it's not working out then I might navigate them to something else because I'm not trying to nurture a failure complex in them either. The obvious problem here for the parents is they haven't taken the time to understand their son. The author forced the issue to allow Treynar to automatically know after one observation that the MC wasn't good with the sword. You're telling me no one else around the MC could figure that out? None of the instructors? No one? It took a ghost of the Demon Lord to tell him he was better at hand-to-hand combat martial arts like his mom after all of this time? We're talking about years here? Not even the maid who has a Knight certificate and all of that and has tried to help him out? Just, just move away from the parents for a second, you're talking about a collection of people, the Princess who is supposed to be some type of prodigy, no one could figure out he was better at throwing punches than swinging a sword? No one? That's a bit much to believe and feels like a bit of a forced plot to me.

Now I'm not saying that the parents are the epitome of parent perfection. They're obviously not and there are obvious signs to indicate that there are other problems in the relationship between MC and his parents, but they're not exactly trash either. On the LN, one person commented that MC is pretty much set for life, well taken care of and his parents love him. They just don't have a very good emotional connection and that much is obvious. Also, the jokes they made about him, especially the father calling him "dumb son" a while back, I don't think it was meant to be malicious especially since the father is clearly unaware that his son has a complex. I think he was just roasting him a little but because they obviously have an awkward relationship with a lack of communication he didn't know that roasting him would result in furthering his complex. That wasn't good, but it doesn't mean he's a trash person.

Overall, I see this as the author's heavy-handedness, especially after the first chapter where the MC unloaded on his father, clearly showing that there was a problem. I don't care how dense a parent may be to a child's suffering, most people would come home and have a talk with the boy. Instead, the author used that moment to introduce Sadith and we didn't see the father again until the next day, I think. Here we see they came home when they heard he had passed out (unlike last time when he passed out from meeting Treynar.

Again, not saying the parents are great, but they're not the worst thing in the MC's world either.

Users who are viewing this thread