Kingdom - Ch. 663 - Rumors of Kyoukai

Group Leader
She's probably the clan member that trained Kyokai and her older sister when they were kids.

Just a heads up, sensescans just made a correction on the last dialogue bubble which now reads, “ Her cute junior has come to visit.”

Dex-chan lover
That sword looks like Haku Hau(White Phoenix) which belonged to, Kyou Kai's sister, Kyou Shou. Right now it is used by Kyou Rei, next candidate for the Shiyuu position from the Kyou tribe, so it must be her.

@jsonnyj Thanks for the info, I spent a lot of time looking for the sword's appearance in the earlier chapters to make sure it's really Kyou Rei and that bubble just kept bothering me.

Double-page supporter
Kinda pissed that Shin's army is so bad at pitched battles. I'm not really that surprised but still, you can't just engage an enemy and have your commanders be a bunch of morons who don't know how to stage a break-out. Too many only have their positions due to seniority (Bihei), bad army structure.

Double-page supporter
@sixfish11

That and it's a completely different shift from the origins of the army. They were originally meant to be a head-hunting strike force. Not sure if they've appropriately... y'know, changed from that mentality.

im not a fan of this magical assassin stuff. Does it even have anything to do with becoming a "Great general of the heavens" or "Unity of China"?
And dont tell me this magical assassin is gonna fill Shousa's role.
Id bet most of us here prefer to see great generals of gigantic body proportions who can cut a whole squad in half with a single swing of their glaive and smash through formations with their loyal men following right behind, rather than a shortish girl with a shortish sword just magically slice through a whole army in the blink of an eye. Both are anime fantasy, but one fits the theme better than the other.

@N4mm1nh 100% agreed. I love Kyoukai as a character, though.

I will say this: I try to think of it metaphorically. The way the Big Boys fight (Moubu, Shin, Ouki, etc.) is every bit as unbelievable as Kyoukai. The weapons they swing through multiple humans reminds me of Dynasty Warriors video games where you can kill 1,000 enemies in 20 minutes.

The metaphor, though, is that this inhuman skill is just their strength as leaders: The energy they give to their own soldiers and the fear they cause in their enemies. Imagine the poor farmer who has to square up against a fully-armored Moubu on horseback. Moubu is going to seem 10 feet tall and bulletproof. Kingdom makes Moubu look 10 feet tall and bulletproof so we can "see" what the lowly soldiers see.

And for Kyoukai and this whole "dancing assassin who can bring back the dead" is a metaphor for the spiritual beliefs the people of this manga have. She seems magical because everyone believes she is.

At least, that's how I reconcile the more absurd parts of this manga. And just for the record: I'd never think this deeply with any other manga, but Kingdom is one of the best ever written, so it's worth the effort.

sometimes, you just need a deus ex (kyou rei) to clean off the deus ex (kyou kai reviving shin via wuxia BS) that cleaned off the written mess that is hou ken.

Users who are viewing this thread