Kingdom - Vol. 69 Ch. 752 - To The Sanctuary

Dex-chan lover
x720

at least Kanki went out guns blazing.

Dex-chan lover
Weird i thought this manga would follow the story and I could have sworn that i read somewhere that Kanki survived to desert the Qin army and take up banditry again.

Dex-chan lover
RIP Kanki. He was a smug enigma to the very end.
Not really? I mean they just spent the last several chapters explaining all of his motivations and what his personality really is like behind the facade of not caring he portrays to everyone else.

Dex-chan lover
Weird i thought this manga would follow the story and I could have sworn that i read somewhere that Kanki survived to desert the Qin army and take up banditry again.
"In 234 BC, Huan Yi attacked Pingyang (Linfen, Shanxi) and Wucheng (Cixian, Hebei), killed general Hu Zhe and massacred 100,000 troops of Zhao. He then left Shangdang, passed the Taihang Ridge and invaded Zhao by taking Chili and Yi'an (Gaocheng, Hebei). Zhao thereupon laid the supreme command in the hands of Li Mu, who defeated Huan Yi in the battle of Fei (Jinxian, Hebei).

No record of Huan Yi is found in the Shiji after his defeat at Feixia, however in the Zhan Guo Ce (a different historical source) it's mention that Huan Yi later died by attacking Handan, the capital of Zhao defended by Li Mu in one of the last Qin-Zhao battles." According to Wikipedia, citing the Annals of the Warring States (Zhan Guo Ce) that we frequently see pop up, he supposedly lived until the last attack on the capital. Whether or not this is going to be a false figure to make them think he rose from the dead, or something else that they utilize (eg. "the spirit of Kanki invigorating Shin as if it is a second coming of The Beheader" or something like that), or if he's simply going to stay dead going forward and this is part of the fictional adaptation wiggle room, we'll just have to wait and find out.

Dex-chan lover
lol they be giving this nobody a fancy helmet just that Naki doesn't go out sad.

Dex-chan lover
Oh good, he died. Now if only Riboku dies soon after because of that head.. what even is that? A feather graze? Well, whatever. I guess he still had HP and I bet he'd be full-healed once he gets to a city like an MMO.

Dex-chan lover
Dang, I knew Kanki was going to go out, but I didn't expect a lot of his cool lieutenants to go out either like that either...

Dex-chan lover
Not gonna lie I started thinking that Naki was actually Kanji’s kid and that’s why he put him with Shin’s group

Dex-chan lover
In the legend of Jing Ke, Huan Yi (Kanki) survived his encounter with Li Mu (Riboku) but couldn't rejoin the main Qin army to his west because he had to flee east. The Qin government perceived this as desertion and exterminated his family as punishment, leading to Huan Yi either returning to banditry or defecting to Yan (depends on which version of the story you read). When Jing Ke was preparing to go assassinate Qin Shihuang, he met up with Huan Yi and requested his head (either by fighting/weaseling his way into Huan Yi's bandit camp or simply walking up to his estate in Yan), which Huan Yi heartily gave by beheading himself. This story, however, is a knight-errant/hero (youxia) fantasy.

While Jing Ke was a historical figure who really was a youxia receiving the hospitality of Prince Dan of Yan and while it is written in some sources that he did bring Huan Yi's head, what probably happened was some grave-robbing on the way. In the Warring States era, it was common for defeated enemy generals' heads to be brought to the capital as a trophy, where it would be displayed to the public before being interred in a temple or a tomb outside the walls of the capital (or some place far away) to prevent spirit vengeance. There's a very famous Japanese example of this with Taira no Masakado's head being buried in Edo (Tokyo) after being displayed in Heian-kyo (Kyoto). In real history Huan Yi was a hero of Qin whose head was lost deep in Zhao territory, so Jing Ke probably went to where it was interred and took it out so it could be presented to the Qin state to be given a proper state burial, not because Huan Yi was a traitor.

Dex-chan lover
Two great chars lost to the shittiest asspull antagonist ever. What a fucking bs

Dex-chan lover
...Yea..noo..if you go look up the history they still do some crazy shit lol
i'm sure but there's no one in Qin as evil as Kanki, anything they pull won't be as bad as slaughter civilians and surrendered soldiers in the hundreds of thousands.

Users who are viewing this thread