Kiraware Majo to Karada ga Irekawatta Keredo, Watashi wa Kyou mo Genki ni Kurashiteimasu! - Vol. 2 Ch. 11

Dex-chan lover
Also curious to hear about what's going on with the witch now. I would have thought she would have enjoyed watching herself in mirrors, enjoying the luxury of being a princess and using her holy beast. I did think it was weird that apparently the bond of the holy beast remained with the witch's soul, but her magic (which is necessary to form that bond) remained with her body. It has to be quite the strange situation to have no magic yet have a holy beast.
Assuming the holy beast didn't go "nah fuck this" as soon as it realized who summoned it

Reactions: le3
Supporter
Just remember that Grieja is not an actual cat, but more like a spirit in the form of one. Plus this is a fantasy story lol
Considering I've spent a far greater majority of my total years around cats than not, it's kind of hard to divide their inherent physical abilities from my mind. Even before writing I took the opportunity to flex the tip of my cat's tail; and it just does not have the correct bones in it that would allow it to grip something akin to a primate's hand.

Supporter
first chapter belike: oh no the the witch just take her body, poor the princess.
now: hmmm ( I feel bad for the witch now)
The witch is basically a bird in a cage now. She lost all the freedom she had. Grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
Yes, but . . . . I'd put money on the reason she's listless like this being the fact that the body she's taken over has no magic.

Clearly the Wicked Night Witch was incredibly strong - strong enough to dominate a sizable area without a powerful kingdom being able to take her out. And now she's stuck in a body with no magic . . . ignore the fact that she's a powerless princess in a gilded cage, she'd be missing something that was probably as fundamental to her experience of herself as her arms or legs. She's effectively an amputee, with no way of getting any help with adjustment - she can't exactly tell anyone that she stole the princess' body, let alone who she really is. Particularly after hearing that history between the two nations - it's not like they particularly valued the princess beforehand, burning alive an imposter who's take over her body seems the most likely outcome here.

So the poor witch/princess/queen is traumatised, helpless and powerless, a perfect mirror image of the situation that Mariette found herself in. Kind of like karma or something . . .

Dex-chan lover
Should have done more research before doing a body swap. I doubt she made any plans to reverse the body swapping in case something goes wrong and now she's regretting it.

Dex-chan lover
Should have done more research before doing a body swap. I doubt she made any plans to reverse the body swapping in case something goes wrong and now she's regretting it.
its covered in both. Claudette wrote a One Way Trip clause into the soul swap

Claudette could theoretically undo it. if Mariette had magical aptitude

Supporter
Wdym "plus this is a fantasy story"? Are you one of those people that thinks "fantasy" means things don't have to be internally consistent? Otherwise how would that be plusing to the former statement?
Fantasy settings mean the author can get away with reduced internal consistency requirements - lots of stuff can be hand-waved away with "oh, it's magic" and people generally accept it.

And that's a pretty fundamental part of writing, to be honest. Authors want to tell stories, not histories (even Tolkein had a back-and-forth between the stories he wanted to tell and the histories that he built to back them up) - allowing flexibility and ambiguity about how magic works allows the author to tell a story and then fit the magic to the story, which means that there's always going to be internal inconsistencies. Insisting on strong internal consistency in a story with magic is basically insisting that magic in the story world is completely defined (at least in the author's mind) and the behaviour and constraints are rigidly enforced . . . at which point you're effectively writing science fiction for an alternative universe. Which is all fine and dandy, I might add, and stories like that exist, but not that many - it's a lot of work defining your story world in sufficient detail, and the kind of peple who can do that work are rarely the kind of people who can also tell a good story.

Also worth noting that even the hardest of hard science fiction has internal inconsistencies in the functioning of its' story world, because it's basically impossible to write stories anyone would want to read without them. Even something like The Martian, which was hard SF done so well that it only had a handful of inconsistencies with the known science at the time of writing, and only a few cases where new work has indicated problems with the science used in the story, still consciously chose to introduce story elements that weren't consistent with reality because otherwise Mark Watney wouldn't have been stuck on Mars alone and there wouldn't have been any story to tell.

So yeah, "fantasy story" basically means "the author is creating the story world in order to suit the story they want to tell", as well as "the author is making all this stuff up as they go along" - internal inconsistencies are to be expected, and the story shouldn't be judged simply on their existence, it should be judged on the impact those inconsistencies have on the storytelling. How a cat spirit chooses to handle cutlery is probably low on the list of things that will break the story, even if it might be a bit jarring in a visual medium where you look at it and go "huh?"

Supporter
the maids talking about Claudette! Mariette should have been in ~chapter 4 if kept to the book's pacing. Especially since Dee just got his subscription to Jilvera Times delivered.
Where's the original story this is based on? I'm assuming there's no current translation (normally there'd be a link to NU if there was) - is the original a LN or WN?

Supporter
Considering I've spent a far greater majority of my total years around cats than not, it's kind of hard to divide their inherent physical abilities from my mind. Even before writing I took the opportunity to flex the tip of my cat's tail; and it just does not have the correct bones in it that would allow it to grip something akin to a primate's hand.
Well yes, anyone with cats would look at that and go "huh?" - even if she was using her paws it'd still look weird and off-putting, particularly considering how many times my cats get their claws stuck in my clothes and can't pull them out because they just don't have sufficient fine control over their paws. I'd have expected her to just use magic to float the thing around, since she's depicted doing that elsewhere (as is Mariette).

I'm guessing it's mostly just a matter of the artist drawing something without thinking about it long enough, and without the editor or anyone else in the publishing path going "hey, this just looks weird". Which, given the artist is Taiwanese (if I'm remembering correctly) while the author (and presumably the rest of the publishing house) is Japanese, is the kind of thing that could easily happen . . .

Supporter
it was on the ch 7 thread, this post specifically.

https://forums.mangadex.org/threads...rashiteimasu-vol-2-ch-7.1747499/post-21529865

its not translated, but basically a super short book
Ah, thanks.

If you can read the original, is it worth trying to MTL it or something like that? This is definitely cute and fluffy, but I'm not sure whether it'd be worth the effort needed (since it seems the original website is set up so that just pointing google translate at it doesn't work properly) . . .

Dex-chan lover
Ah, thanks.

If you can read the original, is it worth trying to MTL it or something like that? This is definitely cute and fluffy, but I'm not sure whether it'd be worth the effort needed (since it seems the original website is set up so that just pointing google translate at it doesn't work properly) . . .
i suffered through the horrific interface between Google Translate Embed and that site and it generally came out slightly less coherent then this fangroups*, So i can say for certain the dialectic structure is generally very simplistic, probably at most a 3rd grade reading level

*This is no jab at Oddities here, You guys do good work. love whats been done so far on I want to make the Black Knight fall in love with me and Powerless Saint and Talentless Princess. Its just this story is very "Toddler's First Romance" despite how fucked up Claudette's circumstances are.

Last edited:
Why would a dispute that occurred with another country's people, and even in a different time, involve her? What kinda ijit would actually tie her to a different countries past because she spent a few years locked in their tower? She was GOING TO BE the enemy nation's new queen through marriage... which, didn't even happen. So, there's that. She an her ancestors have zero responsibility in the matter. Zero grudges for her ancestors should also mean zero grudges for her. As reasonable as Dee has already been shown, I'm pretty sure he's also meant to have basic logical sensibilities😅.

Fed-Kun's army
Fantasy settings mean the author can get away with reduced internal consistency requirements - lots of stuff can be hand-waved away with "oh, it's magic" and people generally accept it.

And that's a pretty fundamental part of writing, to be honest. Authors want to tell stories, not histories (even Tolkein had a back-and-forth between the stories he wanted to tell and the histories that he built to back them up) - allowing flexibility and ambiguity about how magic works allows the author to tell a story and then fit the magic to the story, which means that there's always going to be internal inconsistencies. Insisting on strong internal consistency in a story with magic is basically insisting that magic in the story world is completely defined (at least in the author's mind) and the behaviour and constraints are rigidly enforced . . . at which point you're effectively writing science fiction for an alternative universe. Which is all fine and dandy, I might add, and stories like that exist, but not that many - it's a lot of work defining your story world in sufficient detail, and the kind of peple who can do that work are rarely the kind of people who can also tell a good story.

Also worth noting that even the hardest of hard science fiction has internal inconsistencies in the functioning of its' story world, because it's basically impossible to write stories anyone would want to read without them. Even something like The Martian, which was hard SF done so well that it only had a handful of inconsistencies with the known science at the time of writing, and only a few cases where new work has indicated problems with the science used in the story, still consciously chose to introduce story elements that weren't consistent with reality because otherwise Mark Watney wouldn't have been stuck on Mars alone and there wouldn't have been any story to tell.

So yeah, "fantasy story" basically means "the author is creating the story world in order to suit the story they want to tell", as well as "the author is making all this stuff up as they go along" - internal inconsistencies are to be expected, and the story shouldn't be judged simply on their existence, it should be judged on the impact those inconsistencies have on the storytelling. How a cat spirit chooses to handle cutlery is probably low on the list of things that will break the story, even if it might be a bit jarring in a visual medium where you look at it and go "huh?"
The cat speaks. But the body HAS to be 1:1 a cat?
:thonk:
How a cat spirit chooses to handle cutlery is probably low on the list of things that will break the story,
Is it even on that list?

To be clear, what I was objecting to was the frivalous invocation of "it doesn't have to make sense" here, when there is no nonsense happening in the first place. As you said, they're not a cat, they're a cat spirit. The fact that we see them have a prehensile tail in this scene establishes that that is indeed the case. It doesn't clash with anything.

You already had this explanation, but then had to go and say "plus it's a fantasy story". Why? It literally does make sense, why would you need to dilute your explanation?

Imo, it's fine when an author invokes it, but it's not okay when an audience member does. They don't know if the author had thought about it. And when it's the case that the author did hide deeper meaning behind it (probably not in this case though, but I wouldn't know), the audience member robs themselves of that meaning.
Also, I think it's rude to the author to say "they probably didn't think about it" without being 100% sure.

Dex-chan lover
Is it even on that list?

To be clear, what I was objecting to was the frivalous invocation of "it doesn't have to make sense" here, when there is no nonsense happening in the first place. As you said, they're not a cat, they're a cat spirit. The fact that we see them have a prehensile tail in this scene establishes that that is indeed the case. It doesn't clash with anything.

You already had this explanation, but then had to go and say "plus it's a fantasy story". Why? It literally does make sense, why would you need to dilute your explanation?

Imo, it's fine when an author invokes it, but it's not okay when an audience member does. They don't know if the author had thought about it. And when it's the case that the author did hide deeper meaning behind it (probably not in this case though, but I wouldn't know), the audience member robs themselves of that meaning.
Also, I think it's rude to the author to say "they probably didn't think about it" without being 100% sure.
By "it's a fantasy story" I meant that the author can ignore whatever rules they want to for their own convenience if needed.

Please refer to what himi-cat wrote in reply to you in this page, it's exactly what I meant.

Fed-Kun's army
By "it's a fantasy story" I meant that the author can ignore whatever rules they want to for their own convenience if needed.
What was the rule being broken? "real cats don't have prehensile tails"? That rule was never broken.
If there was a real cat in this story, and it did the same thing, would that still make sense to you? (while maintaining that it is in fact a normal cat)

Please refer to what himi-cat wrote in reply to you in this page, it's exactly what I meant.
My comment was also a reply to that. Actually I might have gotten my wires crossed on who I was referring to with "you" in the comment, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread