Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 14 Ch. 146 - In Everyone Else's Case

Dex-chan lover
Do they pay Kiyo at all? Lately, all of her appearances in the manga are all about cooking to various people.

Dex-chan lover
Haha, this was cute. Good to see the other girls too.

Dex-chan lover
@Nitrorare Probably a lot of things. Like the oven suddenly not working when she's about to bake something. Finding the fridge broken and all warm in the morning. Receiving a spoiled food item from a store and only noticing at the boarding house, right when she's preparing to use it. Dropping a pot and losing all the prepaped food right before serving it to the maiko. Serving Sumire a meal that will give her a food poisoning and thus ruining her performance at some important party. But most importantly a kitchen fire. She really went all out to get a second Fire Protection God charm.

@superOniichan

I don't think so, she didn't had enough money for a measly accessory a bunch of chapters ago.

Maybe they send the money to her parents, but who knows.

Dex-chan lover
@Broken25 Well, at the moment she reminds me of a cook on a ship. However, as far as I understand, they at least provide her with housing and food.

I know it's less focused on Kiyo lately but I do love the overall expansion of focusing on everyone. All the girls with their hair are cute too!!! It's just a very sweet slice of life manga, I like its simplicity honestly :)

Dex-chan lover
If I remember right Kiyo spent a year Maiko training and the money they make for the first few years when working is sent back to the manor to pay for their training and living expenses. They get to keep their money once they're fully fledged and independent. She's probably still paying back her training expenses

Dex-chan lover
That last page reminds me of Kanata asking if she can sleep with Coco after playing Outlast. Lol. I've been watching too much Hololive...

"Maya indians"? Okay don't take it bad, but why indians? For mexicans telling someone "indio" is a despective form to call someone, spanish people used to call us indios because they were supposed to go there not to our continent but is not the case anymore, why not culture or something, I guess is a careless mistake but I hate it is as calling "red skin" to a native american.

@Claresilver47 I don't think for an early stage of maiko training will cost that much, in the new apprentice chapter, it's stated that lot of new trainer ended up quiting because the arduous training (may be the high debt is from personal kimono and hair decoration, hair do and make up, geta, etc. when they're debuting and need to be in dinner party and so on), those people won't easily join and quit if only be riddled with huge debt. Although I think mostly the money is sent to grandma while she received a snack money.

Dex-chan lover
@SuperOniichan Yeah, let's hope that's not the case. Providing a kitchen worker nothing but food and a roof above their head is the textbook example of how human trafficking victims are exploited, aside from the even worse fate of being forced to prostitution. Kiyo didn't receive maiko training for more than a couple of weeks at most, I reckon, so she possibly couldn't have accumulated a huge debt from that, needing to work for months to pay it off. Unless the boarding house mother is a yakuza member. Broken25's explanation, which I've also seen mentioned before, is the best: The wages are sent to her guardian (the grandma). I guess she would have agreed to that, unless the Japanese law somehow makes it possible even without a minor agreeing to it. Another possibility is that the wages go straight onto some saving account she won't directly draw cash from. It could be useful if she goes to some cooking academy later.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Well, if this money is accumulating somewhere, then I do not mind. At least Kiyo is clearly enjoying life with these girls.

Users who are viewing this thread