Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 22 Ch. 235 - I'm Heading Out

Dex-chan lover
go on YT and search about an ex-maiko making "accusations" of misconduct of clients with her.
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out. Even if she wasn't 14/15 being in a position where you have clients and are pressured to do what they tell you to do it'd be hard for anyone to speak up, especially because companies value good reputations with customers rather than their workers wellbeing ://

The culture can say what they want about how Geisha were never prostitutes
I think the problem is that in America (where I'm from) we're ignorant on certain aspects of the culture (which isn't necessarily bad because one can't know everything about a different culture). Most wouldn't know the difference between Maiko, Geiko, & Geisha, I didn't either until this manga. So people only know about Geisha, since that's who most foreigners interacted with between the 18th-20th century, & assumed all female entertainers who dress up traditionally are sex workers. Since no one ever cared to be correct.

And I don't doubt that there probably were manors that secretly sold their girls as sex slaves to old men, didnt protect their girls from being assaulted let alone believe them, or even geiko sleeping with men now that they aren't bound by the rules of a manor. I think it's ignorant to say nothing ever happens. Like I mean, come on. Dudes are paying big money to have little girls serve them food, dance, and talk to them. Thats fucking weird.

I just think it's important to differentiate the two, since they are different, yet we can still acknowledge it wasn't and still isn't sunshine and rainbows

Man, I was really hoping they'd at least make something, didn't expect much but NOTHING is insane seeing how much work these CHILDREN put into becoming a MaIko.
I appreciate what this manga does for getting rid of the stigma/correcting misinfo on Maiko/Geiko culture (like how it's not prostitution). It's really cool! It's nice to see well kept traditions like this!
... But at the same time I wish it covered some of the bad stuff too! Taking girls as young as 14, having them dress up and dance to entertain old men is really weird! Even if not sexual! AND THEY DON'T GET PAID!?!?!?!?! No fucking wonder Momohana's mom doesn't support her. I would love to speak to someone Irl who's either currently or or was a maiko/geiko at one point to ask about what it's like
Exactly my thoughts!
As a mother myself I would've been terrified if my child ever mentioned such career plans.
Early independence and traditions are good and all however I believe some traditions are better kept in books and memories only. I don't mean Japan has to drop its heritage completely but they could at least raise the age level of becoming a Maiko up to 18. In this case those girls will have at least basic high school education. It's not like they're ballerinas or gymnasts to start so early. It was just sad reality that forced them to do so ages ago. So why on earth follow it in modern times?!

Users who are viewing this thread