Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House - Vol. 27 Ch. 285 - The Best and Last Spring Dance

Dex-chan lover
Thank u always for ur great work...
^^...

She already tread her path steadily, maybe...
(OωO )...

Dex-chan lover
To overly simplify the message of a certain beardy aul English hippie writer "life isn't a journey, it's music and when you reach the end of all the plans you've been making all your life you'll realise you should have been dancing the whole time". Kiyo is doing the most "dancing" in this whole series just by absolutely living in the moment.

Dex-chan lover
I hope we get to spend some time with Tsurukoma as she transitions into the Geiko life. Imagining her living on her own is so funny, but also I wanna see how the change in the environment will affect her.

Dex-chan lover
"do you have any plan for the future?"
"yes, i will cook and eat a lot of egg dishes tomorrow"

absolutely relatable because that's also as far as i can think of my future lol

Dex-chan lover
:nyoron:courtesans comes and go but a good cook stay for life
Maiko and Geiko aren't courtesans. You are mistaking them with Oiran. Courtesans or Oiran are high-class prostitutes. While they are trained in dance, shogi, literature, their main job is to sleep with their customers. High-ranking ones are allowed to choose which customers they will sleep with.
Maiko and Geiko aren't prostitutes. Some of them might sleep with their customers on the side but their job is strictly serving drink, being a conversation parnert and dance.

Dex-chan lover
Tsurukoma. You'll have to pay Kiyo for her meals when you move out.
Tomoko didn't pay, though. Well, Tsurukoma still has to pay back the money she owns Mother for training and clothes, so, I think Mother would just let her eat there.

Dex-chan lover
Kiyo is cute as always! Living life taking one day at a time can be a great help to some, but there's nothing wrong with looking ahead and planning things out. Just don't overdo either!

Dex-chan lover
I hope we get to spend some time with Tsurukoma as she transitions into the Geiko life. Imagining her living on her own is so funny, but also I wanna see how the change in the environment will affect her.
Tsurukoma is way too important a character to just casually toss aside after leaving the manor. She's been there since the start so I don't doubt that she'll continue showing up or getting spotlighted. Especially if ones like Momoko can have long storylines dedicated to them. If nothing else, it provides for a new perspective in stories about a new geiko trying to make it on her own to contrast Momoko, who's an experienced one at the peak of her profession.

But this chapter does highlight how IMO Kiyo's biggest strength in the story is her biggest weakness on a meta level: she's not much of an actual character. She's just a living sounding board or a way for characters to calm down and come to some realization about themselves. While that might be good, it means everyone else is more interesting than her because she seems to have no real desires, motivations, goals or personality beyond "cook meals."

I hope at some point we'll actually get something about her that actually shows her to be more rounded than that but as it stands, it pretty much means that she's ostensibly just a supporting/background character in her own series as everyone else are the ones with actual personalities and storylines.

I hope at some point we'll actually get something about her that actually shows her to be more rounded than that but as it stands, it pretty much means that she's ostensibly just a supporting/background character in her own series as everyone else are the ones with actual personalities and storylines.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was among the last of the arcs in the series. And, that we'll need a whole crate of tissues to make it through it. In many ways, it's a very traditional role she's filling right now. She's still depicted as very childlike while those around her continue to mature. I have no idea what will happen, but I'm sure it will be beautifully told.

Users who are viewing this thread