Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - Vol. 9 Ch. 83 - Kobayashi and final battle

Dex-chan lover
@HDMI1 sort of. IIRC what was uploaded back then was a VERY LOW QUALITY version of this page filled with what you could define as “text vomit”. It was so bad i understood nothing so i welcome this HQ version with actually legible text

A different translator uploaded a horribly translated version of this chapter a few days ago. You might be thinking of that.

Dex-chan lover
I'm guessing the big guy on the right is Kanna's uncle ( he sorta looks like her dad), the guy with the beard in the middle is Tohru's relative ( he looks like her dad) and the woman on the left is either Elma's aunt or mother. So were headed for an ''in-laws highjinx'' arc basically, with the dragon extended famillies paying Kobayashi visits.

Dex-chan lover
Those are the Dads and an unknown lady. which is why Kobayashi was only wondering who "she" was not the other two. No doubt because of her new job description.

So the new lady dragon on the left is Elma’s relative? It can’t be Ilulu’s because didn’t she say her parents were killed by humans?

Double-page supporter
@Liquidxlax @L4MD4 @lemuel
What you guys are speaking of is exactly my area of education. Constant change is the nature of software development, that's a fact and it isn't going to change. The ideology/methodology referred to as Agile, the expiated response to unexpected change, is more and more often becoming the industry standard, at least in the west (though, due the nature of most companies, in an altered, unideal form), and the solution to what we see in this manga and your comments. I can't speak to this specific instance for obvious reasons, but I'd guess this is what we're seeing, albeit in an poor or strained form, in this chapter.

As for project failure rates, the numbers are high and not very clear, but improving, currently well over 40 to 50%, and back in the early days, something like over 80%, but they're shrinking with the development of Agile which responds to the unfortunately unpredictable nature of software development. While I'd agree "scope change" is somewhat unprofessional it is common, and what we saw, unexpected change in requirements, certainly is not and is the norm. What we see in this chapter isn't nearly as bad if responded to under the correct circumstances. Put my education to use, ask whatever.

Dex-chan lover
Probably Elma's granny, given what Tooru's and Elma's titles say in the form (Daughter of Emperor of Demise, Granddaughter to the Founder...), with the fact that Tooru's and Kanna's fathers appeared, and how the new dragon somehow resembles Elma like her wavy vertical horn.

Also, it's cute how Kanna looks happy in the last page.

Supporter
@Yautja I'm familiar with Agile, and I still say that a scope chance that wasn't discussed if not agreed on by all stakeholders is the height of unprofessionalism - even ignoring the fact that it was just spurted off by some manager to the wrong email address who then never followed up on it. It's pretty clear they weren't working in sprints in any case.

@AlmondMagnum I know I would. The idea that software engineers are all shy and retiring is pretty out of date, though admittedly pushing back on unreasonable requirements a lot less likely to happen in Japan of all places.

Double-page supporter
@lemuel
Well the guy who introduced the email said it was just a change in specifications, not scope. Those aren't the same things, granted specification is an incredibly vague term. The characters said check to what scope the specifications will change things; to what extent will these changes affect the project. That's not the same thing as changing the entire scope of a project or sprint. And I'm not sure I agree with calling developers stakeholders, that's an incredibly varied term, especially in software development. Developers are just as often not stakeholders, as they are stakeholders.

The owner / person bankrolling makes the decisions. Developers can say what's possible, what can be done with x resources, etc, etc, but it's not their decision. And considering we don't know if this is an in-house project and who did or did not speak on these changes, I can't see any grounding for what you've said beyond carelessness. And I don't see why you're bringing up sprints; I don't see how it ties into what you've said and I'm not sure they're even working within Agile. Agile does not mix well with Asian cultures. I brought up Agile as a response to events within the story and how that's playing out in the real world, not to suggest that's what's being practiced.

Considering how vague everything is because it's not majorly relevant to the story or the story themes, it's hard to judge exactly what happened, and there's certainly not enough information to label anything "the height of unprofessionalism" or "screamingly unprofessional". At this level, and from what we know, I'd say you're overreacting.

Damn it's a shame that Kobayashi lost her wizard powers, I guess all the focus for that aspect will fall on Shouta.

Users who are viewing this thread