Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu. - Ch. 391 - Kawai-san 3

Dex-chan lover
Definitely not the best arc to introduce a friend for komi-san but hey more partners that will share his embarrassing past is good for komi

Dex-chan lover
I enjoyed this a lot! Setting aside the case of Kawaii making Tadano her goal in life, I can relate to working towards a goal for a long time, just to find out it didn't work in the way you imagined. For many people it's a devastating feeling. Soul-crushing even. Sometimes you can just try to make the best of it.

In Kawaii's case, she can now realise that even though she worked towards a goal impossible to attain, she has made friends, improved herself in many ways and even forged bonds to a new family. All that is not useless, it's great that her pursuit for Tadano lead to the life she has now. Great! Just a great piece of story worth reading about!

Contributor
I'm glad they've shined a little bit more light on character motivations with this chapter, even if it is a bit generic. I don't get people who say this arc was a waste of time, I really didn't feel like it was at any point out of place with the rest of the manga. If anything, this arc shows a lot of the aspects of the manga I like that are absent from other longer running romcoms. love to see it.

Dex-chan lover
"Next time, Kawai-san invades the Komis?!"
Is this gonna be a yandere moment? She already has a light yandere backstory. Dead parents are a classic though...

Dex-chan lover
Man, people get a new rival like they wanted, but then wants the arc to end…
Well I certainly did not ask for a new rival. And if we got one, not one this flat, boring and cliché. Especially when it's just the shitty old trope of "MC showed basic human decency instead of being a twat more than a decade ago, so the girl of course is now madly in love with them ever since" coupled with the same old "let's compete over the MC because our academic and physical prowess should totally dictate which of us he should love" bullshit.

I for one am certainly happy that this arc is over, but sadly we're not rid of Kawai yet.

Dex-chan lover
So Kawai stays? Why? This would have been the perfect way to write her off. I still don't like her and while her background is sad,it still doesn't justify what she did.

It is a good thing the manga manged me to hate her, which is a sign to me It's a good manga.

Though, what is the point of Kawai staying? Making her into a Rumiko 2.0? Unlike all the previous side characters introduced (with the expectation of Yamai), Kawai is just not funny or likeable. She served her purpose as love rival (unlike Rumiko, who has alot more of potential) and I don't see the point of them suddenly being buddy-buddy

Dex-chan lover
A bit sad but this manga called komi san for a reason so yeah good sportsmanship

Dex-chan lover
A bit sad but this manga called komi san for a reason so yeah good sportsmanship
Honestly, I like when Kawai admitted her defeat. It showed that she knows when to give up. And while her backstory is sad, it comes too late in my opinion.

The two love rivalries that we have gotten, were totally different: While you didn't know if Tadano would date Komi or Rumiko, with Kawai it was clear that she didn't stand a chance with Tadano at that point. The only one who didn't get the memo was Kawai.

It is a shame that Tadano is kept on the sidelines in both cases until the very end though. Two love rivalries is kind of overkill tbh.

The rivalry between Komi and Rumiko: a 8/10 (made me cry)
The rivalry between Komi and Kawai: a 5/10

I just realized the aftermath of the rivalries is pretty similar: both go to Komi-sans house

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Well author san came to that path huh? a third wheeler that just sticks to the couple(and maybe helping komi to get be closer to chadano?).
but could be shes just paying a visit or something, we'll know nearly enough about which is which..
or more twisted shes going to be komi's brother's love interest lmao.

Users who are viewing this thread