Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu.

Double-page supporter
@evergreen_oak
Whoa that's quite a lengthy complain. I mean, WE are the one pirating the series which surely will hurt the author's income since we do read it for free here, there is no justification whatsoever to complain about that and I doubt everyone of us here do support the author by buying the published volumes even if they lived in the country that selling the official releases.

Andd there are still manga aggregate sites that are still putting up komi-san full chapter all the way from the beginning, couldn't hurt doing a google search you know.

Double-page supporter
I'm aware that Underdog Scans is no longer active, but should we not be worried about issues their scanlated chapters might cause, regarding VIZ and potential copyright problems? What is the point of only taking down some chapters, other than to save face?

I'm genuinely confused about this. I know the idea is to avoid copyright problems, bit going about it by nuking the chapters before even a hint of issues seems like an unnecessary overreaction. What if VIZ has a problem with continued scanlation of the series? Would komi-scan just stop altogether?

Don't get me wrong- I'm incredibly grateful for the work they do and have done. But I'm trying to wrap my head around the nuking of their own chapters on this specific site. Older chapters done by an alternate group will stay up, despite also being published by VIZ, and other scummy aggregates won't take down chapters even if the scanlators asked, so what is nuking some of the published chapters on a single site going to accomplish, other than making the series less accessible for newcomers?

Double-page supporter
@Nihilist1 you bring up several good points! We definitely need to consider the author in this. And the series being incredibly popular, I guess it doesn't really need to worry about newcomers discovering it through this site, now that it'll be in bookstores and such.
I guess I failed to see that this is more about the scanlators encouraging people to support the official release, than it is about avoiding potential legal issues. Most likely, it's both things

Double-page supporter
@evergreen_oak
Glad you understand, I also wish the best for the author as well as those enjoying his works. As long as the most recent chapters on this site is up I will still be reading here and make sure to buy official volumes when it was out.

And regarding the newcomers you don't need to worry about it, I have been following this manga since 2017 and recent influx mostly came from reddit, apparently komi's memes are quite popular there and many people started to follow the series. So even though earlier chapters are deleted I am sure they probably will search another aggregate sites or buying the volumes as you said, so hopefully the series will stay on!

Double-page supporter
So many missing chapters, and I only got into this recently... I hope the missing parts are recovered eventually

Honestly chapters like this one is the reason I can't wait to see this manga translated to the screen. Each and every character is fleshed out and likeable. It would be hard but a Komi San anime would be slow but simultaneously one of the most relaxing anime ever

Lol hito-chan still butt of the jokes. Nevertheless this was a good chapter. As usual i still want a little more character progress but seeing the amount of side characters and how fleshed out each character that has been used in the story its now understandable how it became so slow.

Banned
Why are new chapters being added to the end of this series when there is a HUMONGOUS chapter gap waiting to be filled early on?

Yeah, okay, I get from reading the comments that some chickenshit group erased their own work in an act of pure pant-wetting cowardice, leaving that massive gap behind... but then shouldn't whoever has taken over be working on filling that gap rather than tagging more chapters onto the end?

Dex-chan lover
@SotiCoto sure, new readers are a thing, BUT this gap literally concerns chapters from years ago. so there's enough aggregators around to serve your needs. no need to stump "veteran readers" (which most likely make up the majority) with work that's been done before.

Double-page supporter
@SotiCoto I felt the same as you, once upon a time. But if you actually read those comments, as you claimed to have done, you would know the reason that the scanlators decided to take their work down. I don't necessarily agree with it- as plenty of other scanlators keep their work up on MangaDex, even when official volumes release- but I can understand the intention behind it. Komi Can't Communicate is ridiculously popular right now, so if VIZ starts on an anti-scanlator warpath, Komi-scan will be in their sights for sure.

I choose to believe that komi-scan taking down their work is an act done out of respect for the author and official publisher, as well as an effort to make sure MangaDex doesn't have to deal with any more legal drama. I'm not sure whether the group makes their work available on their own website, even after taking it off of MangaDex. If they do, the removal would be a bit more suspect. But ignoring that possibility, while I disagree with their decision and I'm disappointed that there is a huge amount of missing chapters, I totally understand why Kobester11 wanted the chapters taken down.

And damn dude, @SotiCoto , kindness doesn't cost ya anything. Even when I was upset, I didn't insult the group. Learn to act like an adult and choose your words more carefully, please. Nobody wants another "solo leveling" situation to go down. Don't insult the people who work hard to bring you the thing you enjoy reading.

Banned
@evergreen_oak : You sure seem quick to stand up for them.
Firstly, I read some comments pertaining to the subject. More than 2, less than 10. I obviously haven't read 100% of them as there are so damned many I'd be at it for years. So I have done exactly as I claimed. No more and no less.
I don't know what the fuck "VIZ" is supposed to be, so naturally I've no idea why anyone would be worried about them. No point dwelling on that.
The respect thing... why would taking down fan-translations show any "respect" to the author? It isn't like the existence of such things hurts the original author any. Anyone who can read Japanese fluently wouldn't need translations in the first place, and any who can't wouldn't be able to read the originals. As for "official publishers" ... why would they even warrant respect?

As to the last. Nah. You don't know me near well enough to claim such things. Not even remotely. If even you, an ordinary random preaching about kindness, can't match up to your own words... then you've got no business trying to tell me it costs nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread