Kono Kaisha ni Suki na Hito ga Imasu - Vol. 8 Ch. 74 - A Personnel Change — Part 1

Supporter
Tateishi has multiple years of accounting experience and a difficult-to-get certification and a reputation of competence.

My suspicion is that he's actually getting promoted, and this whole thing is a fake-out. On the off-chance that he is getting transferred, changing employers is also an option, and would solve that whole office romance issue.

Dex-chan lover
I have never heard of a company switching a person to a completely different profession, especially after that said person has gotten official qualifications. Is this just drama for the sake of the story or does this happen in Japan?

If this does indeed happen, it seems like a very counterproductive and anti-employee system which would lead to failures within the company.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Dude if I was in his position and went through all the time and effort to get certified and then transferred I'd be so enraged that it would show on my face

Supporter
I have never heard of a company switching a person to a completely different profession, especially after that said person has gotten official qualifications. Is this just drama for the sake of the story or does this happen in Japan?

If this does indeed happen, it seems like a very counterproductive and anti-employee system which would lead to failures within the company.
It does indeed happen in some cases. Civil servants at least. If you work for the local ward office you may be changing jobs several times. There's a difficult exam to become a civil servant, but there are perks to the job (you aren't working unpaid overtime, you can actually take vacations, it's extremely secure employment). I don't know precisely how often it happens, but I do know of two examples that were required to change jobs like that and one of them explained that it's not unusual.

Dex-chan lover

This does happen in Japan. In Japan your level of competence is measured by your ability to learn and mold into any type of position, which is why the college you get into is probably the most important part of of your qualifications because that alone is proof that you are “capable”. This is why companies don’t care about your major, or grades, only that you went to X college.

After you enter a company with your “class” aka “Douki”(Japanese companies traditionally only recuit a new wave of people once a year), people will be distributed to any department they see fit. Even if you graduated with an engineering degree you can end up in HR. I know several people who studied mechanical enginnering as their major who became hedgefund managers and bankers (and one who almost became a Shinkansen driver). There are certain specialty positions where they do require specific backgrounds like design where you need a degrees from a design school. But yes this practice of just putting people in new positions that have nothing to do with prior work experience is extremely common in Traditional Japanese companies.

Dex-chan lover
I have peeked at the final volume RAW, so my own prediction/speculation is below (hidden behind a triple spoiler, so don't blame me, please).

I think the transfer direction is reversed. It's probably the HR guy who will join the accounting department. In the final chapter, in the, 'Where are they now?' section, I saw a new guy in the accounting department.

Dex-chan lover
See, THIS is drama done well. It can put the readers on edge and drive up tension, but without the characters being forced into a weird love triangle or making dumb assumptions (whaaaat teh girl he was woth whas his sisisterrrrrr???) and leading to just.... just the worst tropes.

The is an office romance. Drama in the office fits. And it also works for character building and development. This is good writing.

Dex-chan lover
My God, still 70 chapters to go, I didn't notice it already ended

Dex-chan lover
See, THIS is drama done well. It can put the readers on edge and drive up tension, but without the characters being forced into a weird love triangle or making dumb assumptions (whaaaat teh girl he was woth whas his sisisterrrrrr???) and leading to just.... just the worst tropes.

The is an office romance. Drama in the office fits. And it also works for character building and development. This is good writing.
It's still dumb drama, you see, western readers rage in comments about how stupid is (according to their opinion) to throw an experienced accountant into HR "just 'cause"

Dex-chan lover
Same I would flip a table and bite my boss as I quit in that situation hell I got so fed up with my last job that I actually considered lighting the place on fire while filling up my lawnmower instead I just quit
Yeah, never give them the satisfaction of being your downfall!

Dex-chan lover
I dunno about "a special seal for changes", wouldn't that be "the company seal" - just like Japanese don't use signatures but seals, the companies will have a seal that counts as signature for it. (Which has even been abused when the seal caretaker refused to hand the seal over to management when they wanted to fire him, meaning they couldn't make that official.)

https://oharalaw-japan.com/2016/06/01/company-seal-registration-certificate/

https://ventureinq.com/corporate-seal

https://www.smejapan.com/japan-business-guides/company-incorporation-summary/hanko-inkan-seal-japan/

Group Leader
I dunno about "a special seal for changes", wouldn't that be "the company seal" - just like Japanese don't use signatures but seals, the companies will have a seal that counts as signature for it. (Which has even been abused when the seal caretaker refused to hand the seal over to management when they wanted to fire him, meaning they couldn't make that official.)
No, there are specific seals (訂正印, teisei-in) just to mark corrections on official documents, which is what was in use here.
https://hanko-seal.com/archives/161

Users who are viewing this thread