Kou 1 Desu ga Isekai de Joushu Hajimemashita - Ch. 38 - The Two Merchants 2

@dextersTomato

As great a plan as that is, doing something like that would take several years to take off in order to be effective enough to feed their entire territory. Not to mention that they would need massive amounts of land, of which would probably mean encroaching onto vampire land to build fields large enough to feed the populace. All-in-all, it's a long-term plan that wouldn't work in this situation, as they need food immediately.

Dex-chan lover
So many of you guys should join Laughing Coffin you guys would be a perfect fit.

Contributor
you know, I'm starting do dislike this manga, the author seems to bring the "spirits" only when it's convenient, that's just poor writing.

@Misticsan medieval times wasn't like nowadays, someone could die and they would learn about it only months after, depending on the distance. They didn't have information technology, they didn't have fast traveling methods and they didn't have forensic science we have today.

@jokerxhisoka This series has been full of bad writing from the start. Including but not limited to

1. How the spirits will punish a girl for mistreating a skeleton but ignore rampant deforestation, segregation of mummies, and countless other discrimatory acts FAR FAR more severe.

2. How the mummies are literally just people wearing bandages. They don't even have to wear much but do so anyway except for the MC's girl who needs to be cure because Waifu bait.

3.How the ONLY non human racies are Mummies, skeletons, vampires, and elves. Considering vampires are sometimes treated as undead that means 3 of the 5 races in this world are undead. That so unimaginative it hurts. Of course it's obvious neither the mummies or vampires are undead in this series ... but then why the hell are mummies not undead? Mummies are basically just Egyptian zombies!

4. The bad guys are laughably bad at being bad. I mean seriously? "sell me the mummy girl" who the hell talks like this in that situation? These people aren't humans they are plot devices!

Honestly I"m only still reading because it's so short and infrequent that it doesn't take any real time.

@Poodicus Actually they shouldn't need to cut down the forests for farming land because we can clearly see MASSIVE fields of empty land with just... nothing on it. THis isn't an era they are running out of room in. Which makes the obsession with deforestation in the name of expansion all the more baffling

Dex-chan lover
@Poodicus
I understand your point.
Thats why, i commented after he solve his predicament.
That might mean he already done contracts to several merchants to the purchases of food, and at the same time develop their agricultural capability.
Loopholes like this are meant to be a lesson learned to every government to minimize the risk.
As you said it will take time, yes indeed, securing contracts to those merchant first for the procurement of food must be cleanly settled and must be in long term if possible.

Fed-Kun's army
Does nobody realize how huge a bargaining chip he has in controlling the most expedient communication network in the world with that vampire courier service? "Oh, you don't want to trade with us? Cool, I guess I'll find another merchant who'd like exclusive rights to get information and manage their business orders of magnitude more quickly than everyone else."

Also, the generic creepy fat guy is an idiot. "I only do things for money, but I'm willing to cancel a deal that must have been worth enough to balance out leaving an entire market completely untouched while also buying up inventory I can't possibly sell and tanking prices in the markets I do have in exchange for one girl."

Dex-chan lover
I bet Mimia went by herself to that lecherous merchant to offer her body. I smell NTR...

Dex-chan lover
@JKLnHYD
Does nobody realize how huge a bargaining chip he has in controlling the most expedient communication network in the world with that vampire courier service? "Oh, you don't want to trade with us? Cool, I guess I'll find another merchant who'd like exclusive rights to get information and manage their business orders of magnitude more quickly than everyone else."

Also, the generic creepy fat guy is an idiot. "I only do things for money, but I'm willing to cancel a deal that must have been worth enough to balance out leaving an entire market completely untouched while also buying up inventory I can't possibly sell and tanking prices in the markets I do have in exchange for one girl."

The problem is, it seems that Feuillet, Landlord of Sencondaria, bribe the wheat merchant to hoard the stock and overcharge the price only for Solum. That's why the price of food is rising.

Purchasing with proxy is not a good permanent solution, there is always price added for the proxy buyer, also since this is a conspiracy, if the merchants know that there is proxy buyer, they can overcharge again the buyer and the problem is back again

Dex-chan lover
If I was the MC, I will assassinate that merchant and loot their stock, but the thing about this "Light" is too abstract. I can't understand the rule set by the author.

If it is about people must not do the unjust, why not curse the hoarder merchant immediately ?

Double-page supporter
The MC really doesn't know how to negotiate, does he? I know he's just a kid acting like a kid, but I do hope he gets to learn something from this.

I"ve thought about it a little more and I think I've nailed down the core problem with this manga. The author starts with an idea that is good in theory but seemingly puts no thought into how that idea works and they fail at even the most basics of writing. Here are a few examples.

THE SPIRIT
I mentioned it in a previous comment but the problem with the spirit is it's actions seem arbitrary. We can tell it's sentient as it specifically punished the one noble girl by turning her into a skeleton until she repented earnestly. The problem is the spirit's status as a plot device is too transparent. It only acts when the author wants it to which isn't even that often. This creates a core problem in that the series lacks any real WEIGHT to it. Nothing matters and no crisis has any real value because the spirit could solve it all in an instant in theory. Kill the leader of Secondaria, turn all the supporters of deforestation into vampires, ect. Because there are no established rules or logic to it's actions it COULD do seemingly anything at anytime. It would be like if in Harry Potter he had a magical guardian spirit that could one shot voldemort if it felt like it. The series would lose all tension because the main villain is only a threat if the author allows him to be and this fact is so transparent that no action feels like it truly matters.

THE VAMPIRES
The vampires represent another rather large issue. Namely the author connects ideas together that are incompatable. The vampires are introduced as monsters attacking people only to turn out they are the victims. So far so good it's a tried and true plot twist. But the problem is that because the author doesn't want readers to see the vampires negatively their attacks are justified in every possible way. They attack humans because they chased off the wolves they feed one. They don't kill humans, they just drink a little and the human dies of fright. NOTHING about this explanation makes sense. If vampires can feed on any blood why not raise livestock? Even wolves can technically be tammed to some degree if you train them right. In fact why not cows they have more blood! Then they could sell the milk to humans to make money. Or alternately why not make money and pay humans to let them have blood? Plenty of poor people would jump at that chance. On another note PEOPLE DON'T DIE OF FRIGHT THAT EASILY! Unless everyone in this world has a damn heart condition they shouldn't be dying of fright so often that it's considered a fact they murder their victims. The author thought only of making the vampires misunderstood victims and not how to make the idea actually work.

SHEER LACK OF EFFORT AND CREATIVITY IN REGARDS RO RACES
To be clear it's not like the author's choice in races are bad individually. The problem is the extremely limited and unimaginative scope of races as well as the lack of effort the author takes to justify this limitation. For example humans and elves are fine. But then why no dwarves? Why no dryads or orcs or goblins? It's not that they HAVE to have those but it's a noticable gap when you include some fantasy staples and not others. The bigger issue is the vampires, mummies, and skeletons. All three are traditionally undead races and yet none of them are treated as such. They are all treated as if they are simply born that way and as alive as anyone else. This is extra confusing for the mummies as they can look 100% human and simply choose not to and simply live outside without shelter (which again the spirit does nothing about). It would be fine if only PARTS of a mummy looked human with them overall either being undead or monsterous under their bandages. But no it's 100% because the author needed a waifu mummy heroine. So the author sets up a world with races that should clearly be undead ... but makes no effort to explain why they are not. Sure maybe we can excuse the vampires since many manga don't bother to treat them as undead already. But the other two needed SOMETHING. This clear lack of explanation for ANY of the races in this series makes the overall read feel cheap like "If the author doesn't care enough to explain why should I care about any of this?".

THE DEFORESTATION
The last issue I want to bring up is the deforestation effort of the Secondaria alliance. It's not like the idea of a merchant alliance persuing profits over the greater good is strange. The problem is that is not what they are doing. They are threatening war, rejecting trade deals, even ignoring the greatest revolution in transport and communication their world has ever seen! All for the sake of cutting down trees for some vague development effort that doesn't even have a solid purpose or end point. These ARE NOT merchants! A real merchant would be tripping over themselves to make deals with the vampires to get their own carrier service started. Sure I guess you could argue they are just racist to the point of refusing it, but that is in contrast with the idea they are corrupt merchants looking only for profits at the expense of everything else. Meaning all were are left with is a bunch of jerks who are racist because they just are, who want to destroy the forest because they just want to watch the world burn. Again this conflict between being after profits and yet ignoring every single profitable venture the MC creates in favor of a self destructive plan just DOES NOT WORK!

For those who are wondering what happens with Mimia (read this from the raws up to chapter 40 rn):
She tries to sneak out in the middle of the night while Hiroto and Valkyria were sleeping on the bed. Sorcerie catches her and convinces her to head back. Valkyria and Hiroto were revealed to be also awake. Hiroto forbids Mimia from leaving, hugging her once again. Mimia finally agrees and cries in his arms.

Dex-chan lover
@Metazoxan you put too much energy into analyzing such a mediocre manga, my man. But I thank you nonetheless for putting it out there for people like me who still can't put it to words just how bland the manga is.

I just really despise manga where everyone is easily impressed by the mc's "solutions" because apparently the isekai population has an iq of a feral ghoul fetus. Then, these kind of manga would jack up the H scenes to make up for it, nevermind the drawing is just barely bearable to look at, while the characters are so shallow you dont care who is who anymore. Dont get me started on the other easy popular stereotypes either. Bad guy? give him a middle eastern name. Hmmm "Kasym" will do. Come on, at least TRY breathing fresh air into the scene.

Why do most isekai writer have so uninspiring works? They're from the same place of people who wrote legends like helck, spirit circle, or even just isekai putin dammit.

Hate pussy writings that sticks to easy popular stereotypes and dont push boundaries.

@horsewithnoname *shrugs* what can I say Sometimes I like just putting into words exactly why a series failed especially if it's a series that had enough charm to at least be mediocre and yet failed to even do that much.

I agree with the issue of the "easy solutions" BTW. Like there was that one manga with the guy who gets a "X777 stat" power up. In it the princess is troubled by people illegally melting down copper coins for profit. So the MC suggests ... make paper money and put the Family's NON COPYABLE ROYAL SEAL on it to prevent forgery ... and they praise him like he's a once in a century genius. Again the royal seal is something they already had and knew couldn't be copied ... but the MC had to tell them to put the damn thing on paper to make non forgable paper money.

The other thing that gets me as when Japanese Isekai have black hair and black eyes mean something special, in particular something bad. I swear I lost count of how many Isekai have the MC hated, condemned, and feared because black hair and eyes are "evil" or "a bad omen" or some shit and EVERYONE is just completely obsessed with this idea. I think in multiple examples the MC reincarnates with this apperance and their mother either kills themself or goes insane over the pure despair of birthing a "demon child".

Like HOLY SHIT I'm all for having national pride and all that but can you please stop acting like the mere physical traits of the average asian is some kind of mystical thing? It's fine once or twice but SO MANY DO IT! At this point anytime I see that I'm ready to drop the story right away because it's almost certainly going to have the MC be disciminated against, find a small group of friends, and then save everyone thus proving he was better than all of them all along.

Users who are viewing this thread