Kouchuugun Shikan Boukensha ni Naru - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - Iris Conrad

Dex-chan lover
I find it perverse they would use a dead person's avatar as the ship's AI. It's so incredibly in bad taste I don't even know where to start.

Fed-Kun's army
I fail to see why this chapter is necessary.
Its an AI ffs. It doesnt need this additional lore for her character. And i can tell the author tried to make this emotional. But unfortunately, i dont give two shits about the AI. Plus its only ch. 5. The writing isnt that good that itll made feel attached to a character that has the general trope of lacking character or emotion in five chapters..

Honestly, this chapter feels like something the author add in just cause he thought it was cool

If this chapter's additional information is actually important for future chapters, do tell

I always giggle inside when I see non-greek guessing the pronunciation of greek letters :p it's cute! (Tau, lol! it's Taf guys)

Dex-chan lover
@ItchyLongThing

If that was the case I wouldn't be able to criticize the dozen upon dozen of sci-fi books that I have read.

The rule of thumb is this - if the author does not show how the mindset of the people in his work is divergent from our current one, the assumption is that they think similarly to us.

I think the MC even implies that storing genetic material of a deceased person because someone feels like it is against the law.

Dex-chan lover
@WhiskeyWolf thats probably because when living on space it would be better to either incinerate or drop the body on space and not keep a dead rotting body on the ship.

I personally think that making an AI looking after a hero makes so people always see it and are frequently reminded of their actions. And shes a hot milf to boot.

Dex-chan lover
@ShionSinX I will acknowledge the MILF point, but the previous thing still stands. Remember what happened when they used Stan Lee's twatter account after his death to promote shit? Yeah, bad idea all around.

@WhiskeyWolf using dead man's deed and personality as war propaganda might be seen as perverse, but in this kind of war I guess they'll use anything to boost the nation's/or galactic empire's spirit to keep fighting those bugs.
I mean if USA can use false attack news to incite the Spanish-American war, using dead hero's name as propaganda looks noble by comparison.

Dex-chan lover
@The_Blues_13 That's missing my point. Rallying your forces in name of something is as old as dirt, "Remember the Alamo!" and all that.
'Remember the Maine, to Hell With Spain!' was not something the USA government was spouting but something the newspapers came up to fuel the war sentiment among the general population - because it sold copies - the soulless sycophants that they are. The truth is nobody really had an idea why the Maine exploded until after the war, when they had a closer look and determined the most likely reason was a spontaneous fire in the coal bunkers (yes, that's a thing if someone is wondering). That particular case was more about the US being forced into a "it is better to be wrong than to be seen as being weak" situation.

Again, my point is this. Imagine that your mother or father died as a hero in battle and you follow their footsteps... only to have to deal with an AI that looks and sounds like you dead parent, reminding you all the time about the past. You would flip the fuck out.

@WhiskeyWolf For some people, naming a ship after your dead relatives can act as an encouragement instead of saddening reminder. for example: USS The Sullivans.

USS The Sullivans (DD-537) was a United States Navy Fletcher-class destroyer. The ship was named in honor of the five Sullivan brothers (George, Francis, Joseph, Madison, and Albert) aged 20 to 27 who lost their lives when their ship, USS Juneau, was sunk by a Japanese submarine during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal on 13 November 1942. This was the greatest military loss by any one American family during World War II.[1] She was also the first ship commissioned in the Navy that honored more than one person. The ship was sponsored by Mrs. Thomas F. Sullivan, the mother of the five Sullivan brothers. The Sullivans was commissioned on 30 September 1943, with Commander Kenneth M. Gentry in command.[3]

Their own mother endorsed and sponsored the construction of this ship. I suppose she did not see the said ship as a saddening reminder.
as for AI, I guess you can view it as the part of ship itself, and not an actual person to their family. I doubt her family wouldbe that sad if they agree to the "Iris Conrad" ship name as well.

Dex-chan lover
@The_Blues_13 I never brought ship naming into this since it's totally a different issue. A ship doesn't look like a dead person nor does it talk to you in a dead persons voice... and before you bring up a recording, no, it doesn't apply in this case just like ship names.

@WhiskeyWolf Maybe you should consider the feeling of their family. It's not like they wanted her to die, maybe they can't accept her to die like that so they are fine with that idea to revive her as an AI, well maybe not reviving her for real but at least preserving her ideals and persona in the form of an AI or maybe just to remind them of their resentment to the bugs, to keep fueling their hatreds for they had killed their beloved. cz you know, I kinda can't imagine them doing nothing, they must have thrown themselves to the war with the bugs after knowing what had happened to her.
if I was in their position I'll let them use it.

@WhiskeyWolf
Um, I've read that before I commented tho.
well not everyone is fine for forgetting someone important to you nor knowing that people will start to forgetting them. for some extreme people there's some cases that they'll go crazy and tried to revive them you know. I mean there's a lot of cases of some hero being immortalized in the form of a statue or even being worshiped as a god. it's no different in here. it's even more normal considering in that moment they are in a war with a powerful man eating monster.

Dex-chan lover
This is actually a good flashback, to my surprise... well, a little detached information on the best girl AI-chan unrelated to story progression, but yes.

@WhiskeyWolf

It's simply morale and honor, the moral implications of having a deceased person recreated may vary but ultimately it's those foundations.. it doesn't matter whether other people will take it negatively, it's strictly a taunt, semblance and propaganda which is encouraged to the masses as some form of idolatry.

It's like having historical figures play a part or as a character of virtual works.

Fed-Kun's army
So AI Iris Conrad is kinda like having Holo-Janeway on the USS Protostar in ST: Prodigy. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread