Koudo ni Hattatsu Shita Igaku wa Mahou to Kubetsu ga Tsukanai - Vol. 6 Ch. 23

Dex-chan lover
thanks for the TL! i only realized it after that note but there are a lot of info dumps in this manga, which must be a bit difficult

onto talking about the manga, i love elder so much

Wait, are all the bishops modeled after pop singers somehow? Sol seems to be modeled after Elvis and Zess after Michael, do the others also have similar influences to their design that I just haven't recognized?
I was thinking Fia looks like Billie Eilish and Eclès reminded me of Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker
Comet looks like he could be one of the Beatles while Costa looks like Vincent Price.

Dex-chan lover
Comet looks like he could be one of the Beatles while Costa looks like Vincent Price.
I think ecles is supposed to be david bowie's personas; really the only musicuan who I can think of who would've rocked a crown like that

Dex-chan lover
Back to the days when church said science is black magic satanist
That didn't happen as much as some like to claim, a lot of people don't realize it but most of the foundation that modern science was built on was the work done by Christian philosophers or was funded by the church. Not that it didn't happen at all, it was just much, much rarer than people like to believe.

Dex-chan lover
I cannot imagine the torture that the medical info dumps put the TL and typesetting crew through.

I really love the style and writing of this manga so thanks a lot for the translation!
He could just cheat and copy paste the wikipedia.

Dex-chan lover
That didn't happen as much as some like to claim, a lot of people don't realize it but most of the foundation that modern science was built on was the work done by Christian philosophers or was funded by the church. Not that it didn't happen at all, it was just much, much rarer than people like to believe.
If I'm not mistaken, it happened during the schism.

Protestants are more aware about the power of media and so they are more successful exaggerating things about the Catholic church and spread it widely and effectively to have public side with them.

Dex-chan lover
Imagine calling the ONLY person with a brain for a fraud🤦🏼‍♂️

Dex-chan lover
I was thinking Fia looks like Billie Eilish and Eclès reminded me of Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker
Dammit, now I can't unsee it.

On a side note, I like how the author juxtaposed Amami's future medical lectures with the six stars' current magical one. Even sadder that we as readers know it's misinformed, but it's what the healers know and truly believe.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
If I'm not mistaken, it happened during the schism.

Protestants are more aware about the power of media and so they are more successful exaggerating things about the Catholic church and spread it widely and effectively to have public side with them.
Yup and for centuries after. Though in fairness the Catholic church flung just as much back at them. It's crazy how long some of the anti Protestant/Catholic propaganda has stuck around for.

Dex-chan lover
On a side note, I like how the author juxtaposed Amami's future medical lectures with the six stars' current magical one.
That church lecture reminded me of the one time I took a field trip to a Chinese medicine clinic. The symptoms they look at are quite interesting (relative to a Western medicine perspective) even if the logic behind them felt like total BS.

The tongue dimples are an example I recall as being important, not that I remember why aside from a generic chi imbalance. Since they're formed from pressing teeth against the tongue, it's completely expected that they can be a sign of particular stresses. I was tickled to see it show up here.

And on a completely unrelated note...my mosquito agrees, characters in this feel hotter than a josei ero...and that was before the fire :meguusmug:. I think the artist's preference for head accoutrements is growing on me :thumbsup:

Dex-chan lover
That church lecture reminded me of the one time I took a field trip to a Chinese medicine clinic. The symptoms they look at are quite interesting (relative to a Western medicine perspective) even if the logic behind them felt like total BS.

The tongue dimples are an example I recall as being important, not that I remember why aside from a generic chi imbalance. Since they're formed from pressing teeth against the tongue, it's completely expected that they can be a sign of particular stresses. I was tickled to see it show up here.

And on a completely unrelated note...my mosquito agrees, characters in this feel hotter than a josei ero...and that was before the fire :meguusmug:. I think the artist's preference for head accoutrements is growing on me :thumbsup:
Thank you for this perspective. It's really interesting, since I am utterly ignorant of how medicine is taught in a place that depends on such traditional practices.

Dex-chan lover
Doc needs a scribe to follow him around, writing everything he says. Maybe three scribes: one for medical practices in action, one for background knowledge (germ theory, nutrition, genetics, anatomy, etc), and one for technology (instruments, antibiotic technology, and there was mention of a race that can see through things, which might substitute for x-rays).

Every time he treats someone, it should also be a teaching event for a set of apprentices.

Double-page supporter
Really appreciate with the informative translation!

Plot aside, this manga really show how traditional doctor pictured in magic and simple prescription and modern doctor with highly science knowledge and tools.

So fascinating!

Users who are viewing this thread