Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible - Vol. 3 Ch. 23 - Rainy Days and the Street Home

Fed-Kun's army
> shared umbrella
> lost in translation
Think of it like a flirting event, along the lines of the wall slam (壁ドン, "kabedon"). Sharing an umbrella is typically reserved for lovers or a close friend. There's probably a less awkward way to express MC's thoughts in English, e.g. "Wait, we're sharing an umbrella?", but it's difficult to convey to Westerners the significance of two people under the same umbrella without spelling it out in a TL note (though you'd hope other cues would clue people in that this is more teasing from Kubo).

The umbrella is a romantic symbol: in other manga (and I'm sure in real life), you'll see "love umbrellas" (names of two people under an umbrella) on chalkboards, bulletin boards, carved into trees, and so on. It's equivalent to putting the names of two people in a heart, something you see in Western countries. Hopefully this makes sense!

Kubo knows so much about her future husband that she even straight up risks her life getting the deadly Japanese cold just to be with Shiraishi for a while

Rather than trying to translate the term 「相合傘」, I feel it would be better to just call it "Aiaigasa" leaving a sidenote as to what it means? Considering there's that many people unfamiliar with the term, they wouldn't be able to pick it up without clear referencing.
Failing to convey meaning is the worst thing you can do in translation, isn't it?

Dex-chan lover
@tae_ka_pre
Pretty sure he's not talking about the literal fact of walking under the same umbrella, but the social ramifications of the act, the romantic idea attached to it.

Dex-chan lover
Once he's under a shared umbrella, he's no longer a mob but a protag?

Users who are viewing this thread