Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Group Leader
The start of the manga is pretty good but if you read the WN/LN you'll see it just devolves into slaughtering people for xp and good "food".
For example (warning: may cause eye cancer):
If I advance along this highway, I should see the next town.

If it's a big town to some extent, I can see the state and act violently.

Well, it's only seeing the state, and if I think that it's fine to act violently here.

More often than not she willingly creates causes to be attacked and calls it self defense. Just juvenile attempts to justify her slaughtering of innocent people.
In the manga she destroys a fort and shrugs it off as an accident. In the WN, she willingly slaughters all the people because they attacked her first, a deadly monstrous spider trying to escape the labyrinth

@GrimGriefer
The main difference is that in the novel there's not even the slightly idea implying that
Kumo is the heroine (or the good one of the story).

Meanwhile here in the manga Kumo goes from joke to joke acting cute all the time (also the artstyle doesn't help in this case), thanks to this the Manga readers easily ignore the fact that Kumo has tortured several monsters and desecrated corpses. But in the moment the story throws at your face that Kumo isn't a good person readers started a tantrum screaming things like "This came out of nowhere" or "what's this 180 turn in her character".

Also Why is slaughtering people a bad thing? She's already known as a dangerous monster everywhere but in the destroyed Keren Territory and will be attacked on sight. If they're going to treat me like a monster then I'll do my part as a monster too.

Group Leader
@linkhuesitos15 I was referring to her hypocritical monologue of not wanting to kill humans, even going so far as to save humans in one chapter, to "it's okay as long as i goat them into attacking me first. it's "self-defense"! It's a childish writing style, which is, unfortunately, common in Japanese WN.

I was going to go into a rant about all those other things I think may have gone wrong but it's not the place for it, especially since the manga version smooths it out better. I'd say it will probably take another 6 or more chapters before it becomes more prevalent on what I'm talking about. You can only mitigate it so much before it becomes a different story down the line.

Finally, getting to the good stuff. There's going to be a lot of combat for a good few chapters. This is taking from Volume 4 of the Light Novel, which is 90% new material compared to the Web Novel, and is mostly combat-based.

@GrimGriefer
That's... still not even close to the the actual story, and it doesn't "devolve" into anything of the sort you describe once the characters start being added. Where have you read to in the novel? Did you read the additional character stories that are missing from the manga? Do you know anything that isn't Kumoko's perspective? It doesn't seem that way, since you're not even mentioning what's going on in the background or the writing style, which is inherently different depending on the perspective and personality of the character that is in focus.

Why should Kumoko care about humans when the planet is on the verge of death? Remember several chapters back when Taboo hit level 10. Kumoko's "joking" about killing humans in self-defense is basically a hypocrisy of her character, as is slaughtering the people in the fort an "accident". The manga is doing a terrible job of it, and the Light Novel makes no illusions about her lack of remorse or caring about humans by this point.

As an additional tidbit... I've basically built the wiki (https://kumodesu.fandom.com/wiki/User:NoGround), so if you have any questions regarding what is actually happening in the story, I can point you in the right direction.

often I finish an episode and I want to increase my ratings for the manga only to realize it's already at 10.
And then I'm sad that I can't increase it to 11.

Dex-chan lover
the reason why this spider manga only has less than 20 pages per month : because the artist , かかし朝浩 , is working on some one-shot henta* , and on other 2 on-going manga-s right now :

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%97%E3%83%AA%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BB%E3%82%B9%E3%82%B3%E3%83%8D%E3%82%AF%E3%83%88-Re-Dive-1-%E3%82%B5%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B3%E3%83%9F/dp/4065092574 .

https://www.amazon.co.jp/狼は眠らない-(1)-角川コミックス・エース-新川-権兵衛-ebook/dp/B07VDHQ9Z2/

maybe he only writes the story for the manga-s Princess Connect! Retar* : Dive , and The Wolf Won't Sleep , but they still consume his time .

i guess the publisher of spider manga is also responsible : in the contract , they only want less than 20 pages per month , so they dont pay the mangaka too much , and they dont push him to draw more pages . the mangaka has too much free time so he works on another 2 manga-s .

I just wanna know how they're gonna incorporate the other character stories.
Also, can't wait for the thing.

It's alright I guess, it feels kinda slow and there's too much text with all the skills everywhere that I just skim over it but that's not a big deal.

Does anyone have a link to where I can read the light novel? I seem to only be able to fine the Web novel. Tho it's still a fantastic read I want to be able to continue off this story and it's very obvious that the Web novel time like and such are very different.

Thank you.

@Grim7752
Buy the volumes from Amazon or download the PDFs.
"So I'm a Spider So What?"
Remember if the PDFs don't have illustration then it's the Web Novel.

Users who are viewing this thread