Kuro no Shoukanshi - Vol. 5 Ch. 34 - Elf Village VI

Dex-chan lover
Ah, now I realized why this particular fight pretty boring

There's no finesse, no technique nor strategy. They just clash their progressively stronger skill repeatedly.
Even though they're both like, cheat level char, their fight ain't beautiful.
Or maybe because they're too OP that they don't feel the need to use their power with finesse, but I thought our battle maniac is better than that.
Maybe the heat got to his head.

Oh well, I guess I'll just enjoy Rion on the new volume cover.

Dex-chan lover
@aFFi how long have you been reading manga? It's been very common for manga(or in broader japanese otaku culture in general) to mix up whatever culture they found interesting since decades ago, even more for chuunibyou-ish manga like this. It's not an editorial mistakes, they're aiming exactly for that chuuni naming sense. Remember Death Note? Bleach? These two very popular manga also used shinigami without adhering to the Japanese actual lore. Also, this series started out as webnovel so the mangaka doesn't have any fault in the naming sense/plotline.

Dex-chan lover
@Liquidxlax but that's not really the case for this series before
gone is the day where mc (and his opponent) would use golem and/or restraining magic to buy time to cast big spell
simple strategy, but it's something

if the scythe is actually the same spell as that tempest thingy that his opponent use, that still means there's some hope, so i kinda holding out for now

or maybe it's because our MC, for once, ain't having fun battling
can't really tell

"tempest barrier"--like in the tempest rimuru slime MC series against church crusade army?

Group Leader
@Kuraiaku
Well... the two exemples you give in your argument don't confuse Grim Reapers and Shinigami...
Death Note just gave it his own interpretation, without borrowing much from other cultures, and Bleach is actually fairly faithful to the original myth (the shinigami wear traditional Japanese clothes and use traditional Japanese weapons).
A good exemple would have been Soul Eater, with the boss of the academy being called Shinigami-sama... but he clearly is an amalgamation of a lot of Death myths, some even from old continental america.

In this story, the author isn't borrowing from other culture, he is clearly using the wrong myth completely.
Also, for the Japanese chuuni audience, calling him Grim Reaper (or something like "グリムリーパー" or "Gurimu Ripa", as it is already used in Japan) would probably be more impactful.

By the way, I've been reading manga for more than 20 years, and have read probably more than most, so it's not my misunderstanding of the culture that made me comment, quite the contrary.

Dex-chan lover
> smug dig at someone for giving out relevant background to demonstrate the depth of his knowledge

Dex-chan lover
@dharman Y'know Tempest is just like, a strong wind right? Maybe a bit simplified, but it's one of the like three most likely words to be used for anything air magic related.

Sure though, coincidentally you can draw a comparison, sort of. Though Rimuru's barrier isn't actually wind related as far as I know? Just the fact that's their last name, given by Veldora. Who presumably has that name due to being a wind oriented dragon or something?

Fed-Kun's army
Sick moves man, scythes are cool.

Love how the elves are drawn in this

Man, as much as I like re:monster and shield hero, this has to be my favourite of the series you guys are translating. Every chapter is so much fun to read.

Dex-chan lover
S-Rank magic is difficult to cast so lets not be rude and interrupt him while he's casting... F**king shounen...

Aggregator gang
Do you think if weebs actually get isekai they'll go around actually saying they're the protagonist lloll?

Users who are viewing this thread