Kusanagi-sensei Is Being Tested - Vol. 2 Ch. 191 - I'll Definitely Stop

Dex-chan lover
YES!!! BEST OUTCOME!
I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!
Smoking is bad for you so you shouldn't smoke. Sensei can do it! Quit!

Supporter
Always odd to see how apparently in Japan smoking in bars/restaurants is still a thing. The same disconnect as seeing old Western movies when it was normal to smoke everywhere.
I really hope that in a few years they won't go "how strange that they're not wearing a facemask" while looking at media made these days ...

Fed-Kun's army
@Aleph0 Crazy isn't it? When I was at high school, teachers were allowed to smoke in the class room. The gaulloise-smoking English teacher was considered to be very considerate because he allowed the top windows to be opened for fresh air, even in winter. (And back then, winter was WINTER).

I used to count the number of ciggies my mum would smoke on long car trips, and she smoked until her heart gave out, but she was so proud: no lung cancer! Until she died, she said she hadn't died from smoking. It was only later on that I learned that yes, her heart had given out from smoking since she was twelve, but yes, she also had lung cancer.

When I was in my first job, my colleagues were commended because they agreed to smoke only menthol cigarettes in the office, in consideration of my chronic bronchitis. The owner of the business would stalk the corridors checking on who had left early and who was still there after hours, smoking a long, black cigar. The longer the cigar, the worse the business was doing.

When going out for dinner, my wife and me used to go as early as possible, before the smoking crowds would get to the restauransts, so we could have had our food and leave before the place got fugged up.

And then changes happened, and the world became a more breathable place.

And then in 2018, we visited Austria, and found out restaurants over there still have smoking areas. That was a bit of a shock!

But where I live, I only encounter tobacco in the streets, not indoor anymore.

Anyway, the Kusanagi-sensei that I have in my heart can and will quit smoking! Go, go, go, sensei!

Dex-chan lover
Here on MangaDex, I've been attacked on a personal level for noting that manga tend to normalize smoking and to ignore its health costs; elsewhere, I've been attacked for explaining that property owners ought to be allowed to decide the smoking policy that prevails in their places of business, with people who dislike those policies forgoing business with them. Discussion and debate are dominated by jackasses on two sides.

Fed-Kun's army
Huh, I had thought sensei had quit smoking long ago. At least she was never shown smoking until the flashback.

@Oeconomist I would have to side with anyone against smoking in a public location like a business. Adults might be ok with it, but kids don't really get to chose where they go even if they understand the risks (plus, it reeks). I could not stand restaurants back in the day before the no-smoking laws. Getting seated at the border of smoking and non-smoking section was always hell, and at the far side was rarely pleasant in smaller restaurants.
And, more importantly, if smoking is normalized like it used to be, then forgoing a business becomes quite an ordeal. I mean, I can't actually remember restaurants that were non-smoking only back before the law...
Though, admittedly, the internet fixes 90% of the forgoing issues. Just outings/date nights that might be problematic

That said, it is weird how smoking is portrayed in manga. It usually isn't there, but when it is... it is rarely considered out of place by the characters.

Dex-chan lover
@monoreposo

The word “public” has a range of meanings, and differences within that range have moral significance. A private business that does not require potential customers to join a formal association is said to be a “public” business and its site a “public” place; but it's in no moral way owned by the community.

I appreciated restaurants that prohibitted smoking, but I wasn't and am not entitled to the service of a restaurant, let alone to service without tobacco smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread