Kusuriya no Hitorigoto ~Maomao no Koukyuu Nazotoki Techou~

OIS

This one seems to skip a lot of details. I don't know if the other manga added those though.

@animehuntress The manga doesn't play in our world, it's simply a Chinese-inspired world. You already can see that based on their names, as some have Chinese names, while others don't, at least in the original. Don't think too hard about this.

I'm kind of a big fan of the original pacing. but I love how they made maomao look a little older.

Dex-chan lover
same. At this point, Im even willing to pay for patreon subscription if they put this on a pay wall. This version is way ahead than the other one and I'm curious about the differences we'll see.
Hopefully someone picks it up or it gets official scan

Dex-chan lover
At the point they have gotten to translating this one, I really can't see how people say this one goes more in depth. It seems good if you want everything simplified in a single chapter, and some of the mysteries are a lot easier to understand when all other details are cut out, but honestly I like the small details. Sure it makes it take longer for a mystery to be solved, but this series I don't feel any of the character connections and development that the other one had. Especially not between maomao and jinshi, it's hard to get much of any sort of chemistry between them when it's so cut and dry. If the light novel is more like this one I'm glad I haven't read it

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm kind of a big fan of the original pacing. but I love how they made maomao look a little older.
You actually pointed out the exact problem I had with The Apothecary Diaries without me knowing what it was...
It's not necessarily that I can't identify to children aged 6 or smth (I mean she looks like she's in kindergarten in that one, even if she says mature stuff and has mature expressions I won't get fooled) but I think it felt so weird to have such an aestetic vibe coupled with love interest when she looks like a toddler, well... It's too creepy for me.

In general, when people are drawn very prettily, they tend to feel creepy very easily in my opinion.

This work feels a lot more natural, with less add-on decorative stuff that feel luxurious (there are probably better words for that, anyway), which make more sense in an ancient era with dirt roads and the like. The art here is litteraly refined compared to the extravagance in character expressions in The Apothecary Diaries. So it's better art in my opinion, as it lets the story be read in a smoother manner. Yeah, I just didn't like the other illustrator's art for what it's used lmao
I didn't say The Apothecary Diaries art isn't prettier though, it just is worst to follow this story with such art for me :)

As for the content of the story, well... I can't really judge with only 29 chapters in, but I liked reading through them. It felt like hearing a detective tell me about some of the cases he's solved... :)

:coffee: :coffee:

time to start picking this ver, the mangaka of other ver just got jailed for tax evading 😭

Users who are viewing this thread