Kuuki ga "Yomeru" Shinnyushain to Buaiso na Senpai no Hanashi (Serialization) - Vol. 3 Ch. 42

Dex-chan lover
I like em. You don't have to read them.
Kinda hard to skip them when they're thrust right front and center (no pass just because they're in a smaller font and in between the panels). The author has a specific sequence of imagery and text in mind when they created the page, and interjecting commentary intentionally interferes with reading it as intended.

It's no different than some ten year-old yelling "just kithhh" in the middle of a crowded movie theater. I may be thinking the same thing, but outside commentary destroys immersion and steps on the director's vision. There's a really good reason the vast majority of TL groups don't follow this destructive practice and instead leave their squees for an extra page at the end. I'm perfectly happy to share in those squees there or in the comments thread, but they really don't belong in the middle of the page.

TL;DR Is it too much to ask to just read the work as it was originally drawn?

Dex-chan lover
TL;DR Is it too much to ask to just read the work as it was originally drawn?
Yeah, kinda. The work already goes through changes when it is scanlated, anyway. If you really want to read the 100% pure original version, you'll have to learn Japanese. This is a free scanlation most likely done as a hobby.

But also think about it logically.
What about TL notes that define terms or help you understand what's going on? Those are also not in the original. But having them at the end would also ruin the flow because instead of reading through and understanding everything, like the author intended, you are instead stumbling on unfamiliar terms due to culture differences. They can be at the end, sure, but that doesn't help when you read through it the first time.

But above all, it's really not a big deal in the first place. This is nothing compared to something like changing dialogue to make it funny or inserting memes or censoring content or altering content to push an agenda.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, kinda. The work already goes through changes when it is scanlated, anyway. If you really want to read the 100% pure original version, you'll have to learn Japanese. This is a free scanlation most likely done as a hobby.

But also think about it logically.
What about TL notes that define terms or help you understand what's going on? Those are also not in the original. But having them at the end would also ruin the flow because instead of reading through and understanding everything, like the author intended, you are instead stumbling on unfamiliar terms due to culture differences. They can be at the end, sure, but that doesn't help when you read through it the first time.

But above all, it's really not a big deal in the first place. This is nothing compared to something like changing dialogue to make it funny or inserting memes or censoring content or altering content to push an agenda.
Short TL notes or footnotes meant to aid in interpreting the work are fine, because they fill in gaps and allow for the reader to see the word the way the author intended for it to be read. I may not have made that implicit assumption clear, that's on me.

Peanut gallery comments telling me how I should feel are waaay outside that, however, and not dissimilar from pushing memes or a cultural agenda. Maybe for a narrow genre of manga it would feel...less out of place (e.g., some of the crazier gag manga) but this particular series, with its subdued pace and reliance on delicate pathos, is not one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread