Lady Evony - Vol. 2 Ch. 54

@Hoofan_1 Nothing we've seen so far indicates to me that the Archduke is a 'good' person. He has certainly has a number of good qualities, but my read on his character is that he's a pretty ruthless son of a bitch that's willing to do a lot of questionable things in order to see his vision of how things should be come to pass. In other words, a classic 'ends justifies the means' character - though it does seem that it's tempered by that fact that he's loyal to, and won't sacrifice his own people.

@s3yang @Hoofan_1

We could also talk about "are any aristocrats really innocent?" but there'd obvs be literal children and babies who wouldn't have had the time to do anything shitty yet, so that argument's pretty null from the start

But in the last chapter, the archduke is like "well, technically I'm royalty so the law states the entire family should be killed, but since I'm a branch member we can negotiate the severity down." Like, he literally says "we might feel guilty if even the innocent ones get killed", and even though Ebony immediately thinks "lol what a liar," she follows up with the direct quote of "though you are actually worried the innocent people will get mired in it."

If the archduke just handed Sedell off to the guards and then washed his hands of the whole thing, then the whole Sedell family would've been killed. But instead, he kept meddling to achieve the dual goals of a) getting Sedell to confess and b) not killing an entire family that might have innocents in it

*slams door open* OH SORRY LET ME JUST ADD: I don't think you're wrong about the archduke being a morally gray character, though. He's definitely not a Good And Righteous Hero, I just think that you're underestimating his level of ruth. I think he's a fairly ruthful man, who nonetheless acknowledges that when awful people in power are dragged down, they sometimes drag down some innocents with them

@reedercat @s3yang well considering he proclaims to be aiming for fairness in his country, letting innocents die to achieve his goal seems pretty hypocritical. Murdering the entire family for something only one of them did seems exactly like the type of thing he would want to stop.

Thank you for translating this new chapter!

Aw Gillian looks so happy and young.

And a face reveal! I hope she doesn’t take the news badly, I really like their friendship.

ebonys development and the way she wants to do everything by herself not to prove anything but just to do whats right... this is so beautiful i might cry i love her so much

I don't think I'd been able to bring myself to decide to do all the things Ebony talked about. They seem daunting and just reading her list them gave me anxiety

So she hasn't figured her identity out yet... I bet she will be shocked but since Ebony has already been discharged of all accusations, Gillian will learn how to trust her even more, I hope.

Supporter
ah yes, the best kind of bedtime story: a geopolitical textbook. lol

also gillian is very cute. cutest in the series

Fed-Kun's army
Just read the whole thing overnight, forgot to even sleep... and literally Vader nooooooooooo'd when I hit the reveal. Good writing, thanks for the tl.

Users who are viewing this thread