Lady Evony - Vol. 2 Ch. 55

Dex-chan lover
to be honest I think official translations are a little lacking when they try to differentiate themselves from fan translations

When I first saw there was an official release 😄😄 but when I saw the title/name 🙃🙃🙃

I too hate the change from Ebony to Evony in the tapas translations .... like wtf what brain thought it was a smart choice? Like who in their right mind thought let’s change the name cuz why not... it pmo because a perfectly good, compelling, memorable, and stand out name already exists and they decide to ruin it for what? Evony has no meaning when there previously was, and is just overall a ridiculous name (among the many other crazy translated names that try to be edge and unique)

Rant over 😤😤😤😤😤

Double-page supporter
Evony just reminds me of that one game I used to see ads for

They really did toss the papers and fled, didn't they? 😂 (I bet some of you do that with your school report cards 🤣)

@IrregularPerson I agree with you: official translations rarely get on the same level as fan translations... I guess the "love" the people translating can be felt from their work

the new name is perfect... like the original already goes by ebony raven, now they're writing evony, i'm on the edge of my seat waiting for someone to call ebony dark'ness dementia or way

@sxyc idk what it is about korean webtoons but they have the worst name changes when they get officially translated and I hate it lol

The one that still bugs me the most is Webtoon's english version of Transparent Cohabitation because of all things, they titled it My Boo... which is the worst first impression of what I thought was a relatively deep story with some romance and a touch of comedy, instead making it seem like a silly/stereotypical "millennial" romantic comedy with a ghost. Which there's nothing wrong with those stories but that's just not what Transparent Cohabitation is. What's worse is that I'm sure it didn't make it onto some people's radar based on name alone and it makes me so sad that so many people didn't notice it and won't know it by the way better name :/

This chapter was so cathartic. We LL know her journey is just beginning, but the first wave of her actions is already here... I wonder how many wonderful ladies will have joined her by the time the story ends.

Group Leader
Korean title logo - 에보니: E Bo Ni
Korean Logo’s alphebetised subtitle: Ebony
Official Indonesian as well as the official Japanese title: Ebony (エボニー)
Official English - “Durrh... I think it says ‘Ebony’ ”

How the 🤭 are they planning to take my money! Are they trying on purpose to make it even harder to part from what little I have? Maybe all those game ads of a certain franchise has brainwashed them 🤦 I don’t mean to overly disparage people in their translation business but considering this whole grey/black market competition that is scanlation, they should know better than to just do a seemingly half hearted measure.

@Sarsak my browsing history is effed. I still get those ads despite never paying interest to the franchise

I think the name change was for the sake of 'avoiding sounding racist' because it seems any and all terms similar to black in the west is racist. I did a quick google search to see if there are people who actually think so and its a yes and no the most disturbing one from quora suggests ebony as a term for 'exotic and beautiful race of africans' and that sound like... someone fetishizing a race alright.

Also I wouldn't doubt sjw to get offended either way. Unfortunate but what can we do.

@Sayorii-chii I mean, I get what you're saying, but there's so many other series that got names butchered in the official translations for literally no reason. Tapas, webtoon and tappytoon have a bad rep for that already, so I think it's just another case of that.

Plus, as far as I know literally no one but extremist would find "ebony" racist since it's a color, so I don't think there's enough people to make a difference anyway, even if the companies would actually listen for once lol

Dex-chan lover
@Miyono-chan there is no where to hide at home though
@Sayorii-chii overly considerate censorship if anything. and yes the internet is rough (fetishizing things is gross), but here we are on a pirated website- and I haven't seen a snip of people being being outraged of the choice of name. it's the content or context that the word is being used, that actually defines if it's offensive. you can't just undo the existence of a word. AND this story has a tons of bias but morally righteous topics. especially the egregious antagonist characters.
it doesn't do the protagonist justice... sorry to go off on a tangent. but her new name is similar to the word Envy, which isn't particularly a part of her character

The change of the name on the official is so sad. I mean, Ebony actually has a meaning. sigh...

Dex-chan lover
Better be one last chance to admit something and not a second chance for freedom

Users who are viewing this thread