Land of the Lustrous - Ch. 104 - Paradise

Dex-chan lover
I forgot time was just a number to them, holy hell. The sun is going supernova, which is estimated to be ~7-8 BILLION years from now. If Mercury is swallowed up soon, that means ~5 billion years have passed. They only have around two to three billion years left before they too get engulfed. Considering time moves differently for them, that's relatively soon.

That's pretty damn terrifying.

Dex-chan lover
I forgot time was just a number to them, holy hell. The sun is going supernova, which is estimated to be ~7-8 BILLION years from now. If Mercury is swallowed up soon, that means ~5 billion years have passed. They only have around two to three billion years left before they too get engulfed. Considering time moves differently for them, that's relatively soon.

Not going supernova, it's too small for that. What will happen is that it will become a red giant to the distance of about where Earth is, "explode," then collapse into a white dwarf. I could be missing some details as I read all of this while I was in fifth grade over a decade ago.

Dex-chan lover

Our sun won't go supernova. It's too small for that. It will become a red giant (what is happening during this chapter) and engulf everything at least up to Mars. After that it will eventually collapse into a white dwarf. Or so the current models predict. Funnily enough, if the Sun is already engulfing Mercury, there shouldn't be any water on Earth. Our little planet's water will be gone in a billion years or so.

Double-page supporter
So the world will end and that's all ? Or maybe the story will follow the theoretically less probable scenario of the earth not being swallowed by the sun.

In that case the end may be rocks on a rock turning around a white dwarf until the end of the universe...

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Not going supernova, it's too small for that. What will happen is that it will become a red giant to the distance of about where Earth is, "explode," then collapse into a white dwarf. I could be missing some details as I read all of this while I was in fifth grade over a decade ago.
There will be no explosion, just the reignition of the hydrogen surrounding the core. Eventually, the sun will blow off it's outer layers, exposing the fusion core which will be the white dwarf.

Users who are viewing this thread