Land of the Lustrous - Ch. 90 - Devastation

The placement of the author's note and the following page is perfect. Gotta wonder what will remain of Phos' humanity when they finish their mission though...

Dex-chan lover
@whitdemon
I like most posters here dont understand Phos is being used by the Lunarians
Don't think readers are that dumb. Everyone knows Phos is used by Lunarians. The question is to what degree and is this bad or not? A lot of people think that Aechmea is absolute evil guy who somehow plotted everything from the beginning, despite it's clearly stated in manga that Aechmea took action only on final stages, when Phos already passed point of no return on his own. Before this moment Aechmea just watched Phos from afar and built plans. And than he didn't even need to use some complex schemes or convince Phos in order to make him act, Aechmea just provides him with some facts, freedom and firepower, that's all. The initial reasons behind Phos dark development is his own nature and character, lack of purpose -> existential crisis, not best social relationships, hidden secrets and death of gems who were close to him. So Aechemea is indeed used Phos, but he is only partly responsible for Phos current state.

It bothers me a bit that people (and the manga I guess?) seem to accept that being irrationally vengeful, aggressive and petty is what makes Phos more human, as if things generally accepted as "evil" or "suffering" is what define humanity. Since the beginning, no matter what Phos does, it always makes things worse, and apparently not being (near) Phos or any of the human remnants is the way to be happy. It's as if you can't be human or happy at the same time. I expect the author to clarify this in the future (make it soon please, I'm so burned out with this manga), otherwise it feels as such a bad message IMO.

On the other hand, wait... Is Jade just going to punch the hell out of Phos to end their bullshit?

Fed-Kun's army
I see it more as Phos experimenting all emotions a human feel in their life, I think she is missing forgiveness after her anger, but only the author can tell. And well it can be that after Adamant end his function all of them dissappear after the pray that could be too a reason why Phos is so tyrant in her ways without a care

Double-page supporter
oh jesus christ is every chapter going to be 15 pages now so the author can stretch it out till 108? i legimately won't believe that is the case but it sounds like something this manga would do. my heart couldn't take a monthly dosage of suffering AND blue ball

Aggregator gang
Special edition booklet (?) to explain the lore that author didnt bother explaining on the series.... sigh

also ppl still refering to the gems with female pronouns ndaksfndklf Jesus Christ.

I can't say I feel bad for Euclase getting their head ripped off, considering Phos TRIED to talk with them but they kept cutting him off and chopping him into pieces. Is not a pretty sight, but Phos got essentially pushed to the edge (by means of manipulation by the lunarians) and now all he has is anger. And anime.

I wonder what's going to happen in the end. I'm not expecting a hopeful ending or anything like that, since Ichikawa just tells her weird stories and very few seem to have something close to a happy ending in them?

I feel like i lost the monent Phos really did snap out completely. Like we've seen her evolution to what she became, bit she suddenly became fucked and i messed what exactly made her go rampage. And why is she so determined to help the lunarian finally M

@RaimundoBruno
On the other hand, wait... Is Jade just going to punch the hell out of Phos to end their bullshit?

The ultimate showdown is going to be Phos x Cina, gold x mercury. It is even in the volume 11 cover.

@RaimundoBruno

To live is to suffer is a pretty fundamental buddhist principle. The idea that human wants and desires are the root cause of suffering, and the series has always kind of positioned Phos's suffering as a catalyst for making her more "human". Like generally every time she goes through a traumatic episode she "gains" something while losing a part of herself in the process. And, symbolically, the things she gains also have buddhist meaning in that each one of them represent one of the 7 treasures (which in turn are symbolic of Buddhist virtues). So far she has Agate, Seashell, Lapis Lazuli, Pearl, Gold, and Silver. The only one she's missing is a red gem. Obtaining the 7 treasures is generally linked to obtaining enlightenment as well. I bring all this up to say, I don't really think the manga frames this positively at all. Looking at Phos now, I can't see how one could see her change as a positive one. And when looking at the series' influences, it reads more as a criticism than an affirmation of these beliefs to me.

Fed-Kun's army
@Hakio I think it was the "careful handling" of Phos's memories that Achmea ordered when Phos was recovered after their long imprisonment. During that "handling" Phos had a memory/vision of all the other gems basically saying to their face that they should never have been born.

in the beginning phos was unneeded and deemed useless. this chapter hit hard with euc telling phos that they need him....... but he's grown beyond wanting to be needed and useful. yeah. feels bad man, but i rlly still like this kind of development too.

Fed-Kun's army
@ItsGutsNotGatsu It depends on whose perspective you're going on. Through pho's suffering the once stagnant fate of everyone left alive has once again begun to move towards closure. I mean, could you really say any of them were even living? I don't think I can - they were basically in a form of purgatory. It wasn't until pho began suffering on the road to becoming human where progress started happening again. I don't view it as a criticism but to really drive home the "to live is to suffer" and what "living" (also read as change/progress) entails. Living in a state of perpetual stagnation is not living and in order to progress forward a lot of sacrifice and suffering is required to move forward.

Fed-Kun's army
@RaimundoBruno Define what you believe "happy" is and contrast it to what Buddhist believe being happy entails - there's a lot of suffering to become "happy" in Buddhism because Buddhism does not have a hedonistic/carnal definition of being happy and is more of a spiritual state of being. From what I know about Buddhism I do not think Pho will be happy until the moment Pho is dying or is about to die or until Adamant dies because out of any other being in the world Pho is attached to adamant the most and attachment is a big barrier in obtaining happiness. Right now Pho is horrifically human in the worst kind of way and the only way out is to detach themselves from her earthly desires in order to obtain enlightenment. Which form this will take and what will trigger this I'm not sure but I know it's going to be rough.

Users who are viewing this thread