[Language] Hinglish + other Portmanteau/Blend Langauge Requests

Power Uploader
Add "Hinglish" as a language to separate "Hindi" and "Hinglish" translations...

Google's definition:
A blend of Hindi and English, in particular a variety of English used by speakers of Hindi, characterized by frequent use of Hindi vocabulary or constructions.
or in simple terms, Hinglish is basically Hindi (romanized)

i.e. (Solo Leveling Chapter 1)

This is in Hindi

This in in Hinglish

Upvote 0
Power Uploader
I see :0

Seriously, though...?
Yes?, I thought it would be nice to be able to filter out the Hindi translations using the Devanagari script if I feel like reading those, It can also be useful if say a person prefers reading those or can only read that (rare I know in case they read manga) but the "Hindi" Language filter can be a bit misleading since it mostly contains content in Hinglish...

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Yes?, I thought it would be nice to be able to filter out the Hindi translations using the Devanagari script if I feel like reading those, It can also be useful if say a person prefers reading those or can only read that (rare I know in case they read manga) but the "Hindi" Language filter can be a bit misleading since it mostly contains content in Hinglish...
I'm obviously not familiar with Hindi, but on the surface this suggestion just seems a little excessive if we start down this road for every language. Could've maybe ignored the implications and done this for Hindi specifically, but I did a bit of checking first:

• Out of the (technically) 83 individual titles that have any Hindi translations at all, it seems 16 of them use the Devanagari script as opposed to the Roman alphabet
  • Every one of these chapters is 3 to 5 years old
  • By the way, the newest of these translations was for this illustrious title: https://mangadex.org/title/49c7b586-b0a3-4776-b3f5-3bdc62d82161/dog-nigga
  • The highest amount of devanagari chapters any title has is 4 (of which 2 were competing for the same chapter)
  • Like half of these chapters are at most 5 pages long

You're proposing a change that would only affect a handful of chapters, all of which were posted years ago, making this not a very active issue to say the least. If you know the language, you can read through literally all of them in one or two hours. Doesn't seem worth the hassle, at least not right now, but maybe other staff members might disagree.

I think there may literally be more chapters marked as Bengali than as Hindi with Devanagari script even though there are only 9 Bengali titles.

Edit: Sorry, I misspoke. You're proposing a change that would affect almost all current Hindi chapters except for a handful of old non-Hinglish ones.

Last edited:
Power Uploader
I'm obviously not familiar with Hindi, but on the surface this suggestion just seems a little excessive if we start down this road for every language. Could've maybe ignored the implications and done this for Hindi specifically, but I did a bit of checking first:

• Out of the (technically) 83 individual titles that have any Hindi translations at all, it seems 16 of them use the Devanagari script as opposed to the Roman alphabet
  • Every one of these chapters is 3 to 5 years old
  • By the way, the newest of these translations was for this illustrious title: https://mangadex.org/title/49c7b586-b0a3-4776-b3f5-3bdc62d82161/dog-nigga
  • The highest amount of devanagari chapters any title has is 4 (of which 2 were competing for the same chapter)
  • Like half of these chapters are at most 5 pages long

You're proposing a change that would only affect a handful of chapters, all of which were posted years ago, making this not a very active issue to say the least. If you know the language, you can read through literally all of them in one or two hours. Doesn't seem worth the hassle, at least not right now, but maybe other staff members might disagree.

I think there may literally be more chapters marked as Bengali than as Hindi with Devanagari script even though there are only 9 Bengali titles.
Understandable 🫡

Power Uploader
Sorry, I misspoke. You're proposing a change that would affect almost all current Hindi chapters except for a handful of old non-Hinglish ones.
Right but it's fine to let it be if it will open a can of worms? 🤔

Power Uploader
Also I was thinking having a separate filter for Hinglish might bring in more new proper Hindi translations...

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Right but it's fine to let it be if it will open a can of worms? 🤔
What's the can of worms, though? If anything, I'd think changing the language would open one since we'd have to start educating all current "Hindi" uploaders to use "Hinglish" instead, and to rely on... who, you, to report every incorrectly marked chapter, and to communicate with all of them? The staff doesn't have Hindi speakers.

Also I was thinking having a separate filter for Hinglish might bring in more new proper Hindi translations...
You'd have to show me how for me to believe it. Nobody has been prevented from using "proper Hindi" so far, so I wouldn't expect making the language more exclusionary would suddenly somehow make it more popular.

Power Uploader
What's the can of worms, though?
Having to accept other similar cases if any?

If anything, I'd think changing the language would open one since we'd have to start educating all current "Hindi" uploaders to use "Hinglish" instead, and to rely on... who, you, to report every incorrectly marked chapter, and to communicate with all of them?
I wouldn't mind reporting the chapters but I understand the rest of the staff would be a big hassle for the staff.

The staff doesn't have Hindi speakers.
I think @... can speak/understand Hindi.

You'd have to show me how for me to believe it. Nobody has been prevented from using "proper Hindi" so far, so I wouldn't expect making the language more exclusionary would suddenly somehow make it more popular.
Right.

Thank you for you response btw!

Users who are viewing this thread