Leviathan - Vol. 3 Ch. 15 - Ghosts of the Past

Dex-chan lover
It is fairly well covered in earlier chapters that people not from Earth, like all the students, are are considered less than human even in the highest levels of government at the time.

They are not even citizens at all. The reason that one kid agreed to oversee the experiment was in order to have a chance at being a "quasi-citizen" through a better school that he failed to qualify for.

It is also noted that the ship is very old and outdated. This ship was likely selected as specifically being at the end of it's serviceable lifespan.
I wonder this event is related to the sinking ship in 2014 where students of high school age are left to drown? Maybe it was made space-like so as to remove the reference to the tragedy?

Dex-chan lover
I wish I could find more works like this. Tis was a pleasant read.
If anyone got any recs bomb my inbox, lel.

Go read Dorohedoro, if you haven't already. Nitty-gritty, quasi-realistic art style -- but it is a bit more "lighthearted" than this manga, for sure.
Already tried Dorohedoro and that one manga about the skull in space. It just doesn't hit me the same way this did. Maybe it's like you said, the lighthearted style impacted ny enjoyment.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for translation, it was nice! Art is amazing but the story is not so good. Like why the hell this idiotic researchers decided to sink A WHOLE SHIP THAT PROBABLY COSTS BILLIONS OF THE LOCAL UNITS with the loyal citizenry on all of it to just do some experiment on a bunch of kids???? Especially if you think that their government was in some state of war with rebels. Incredibly dumb, first chapters were nice with a good sus atmosphere but second half is just terrible.
They want to simulate the "ghost ship" experiment to test if souls do exist way back in 1717.

In the Renaissance Age to Industrial Age, they send crews with families over the Atlantic and allow themselves to be stuck on the glaciers. Their clients knew there would be a blizzard incoming and still let the merchant ship cruise.

In 2014, there is a student ship left to stuck in the middle of the ocean, the captain is smart enough not to participate in the experiment and jumped ship ( like Yahata ). He also got the same hate as Yahata being called a traitor and selling out his friends, got flamed, faced prison charges, etc. etc. but in the end self-defense is what he did. Like Yahata. The footage of them sinking also mysteriously appeared on reddit, discord, facebook at the same time when the ship went missing, showing what the high schoolers are doing and how they cope when they knew they are now 300 - 500 m below sea level ( or deeper ), while running out of air.

Dex-chan lover
It is fairly well covered in earlier chapters that people not from Earth, like all the students, are are considered less than human even in the highest levels of government at the time.

They are not even citizens at all. The reason that one kid agreed to oversee the experiment was in order to have a chance at being a "quasi-citizen" through a better school that he failed to qualify for.

It is also noted that the ship is very old and outdated. This ship was likely selected as specifically being at the end of it's serviceable lifespan.
This is like the Titanic where the report is that iceberg submerged it but the truth is that the crew in the machinery died from an explosion inside the hull. Of course water gushed in.

Dex-chan lover
This is like the Titanic where the report is that iceberg submerged it but the truth is that the crew in the machinery died from an explosion inside the hull. Of course water gushed in.

According to this link: https://www.usnews.com/news/national/articles/2008/09/25/the-secret-of-how-the-titanic-sunk
It actually was an iceberg. It just didn't go down as dramatically as the movie depicted it.
Essentially, the summary points out that the Titanic hit a few icebergs, and started taking in water at the bottom compartment. Then was raised a bit, about 11 degrees, and then flattened out. These mere 10 degrees made the passengers feel like everything's alright, just a slight bump. But in reality, the ship was building up water, and when it reached its critical weight limit, it started sinking. And it took it a few minutes to fully sink, to the ignorance of the crew and the passengers. That means the very thing that killed most of them off, was that these people had very little time to even realize they were in danger, and act accordingly to get to safety. It also doesn't help that there wasn't enough lifeboats for everyone.

TLDR: The titanic hit an iceberg, and then built up water without the knowledge of the passengers. When it finally reached critical weight, and started sinking, people only had a few minutes at best to go to a life boat, when there wasn't even enough lifeboats for everyone. GL with that.

That link seems to talk about the subject with much authority, where did you get that what sank the titanic, was because of hardware fault?

Dex-chan lover
According to this link: https://www.usnews.com/news/national/articles/2008/09/25/the-secret-of-how-the-titanic-sunk
It actually was an iceberg. It just didn't go down as dramatically as the movie depicted it.
Essentially, the summary points out that the Titanic hit a few icebergs, and started taking in water at the bottom compartment. Then was raised a bit, about 11 degrees, and then flattened out. These mere 10 degrees made the passengers feel like everything's alright, just a slight bump. But in reality, the ship was building up water, and when it reached its critical weight limit, it started sinking. And it took it a few minutes to fully sink, to the ignorance of the crew and the passengers. That means the very thing that killed most of them off, was that these people had very little time to even realize they were in danger, and act accordingly to get to safety. It also doesn't help that there wasn't enough lifeboats for everyone.

TLDR: The titanic hit an iceberg, and then built up water without the knowledge of the passengers. When it finally reached critical weight, and started sinking, people only had a few minutes at best to go to a life boat, when there wasn't even enough lifeboats for everyone. GL with that.

That link seems to talk about the subject with much authority, where did you get that what sank the titanic, was because of hardware fault?
Discovery channel, in 1990s when there are written testaments of those residents in the lower docks that heard explosions. I remember it was also put on history, as most of the survivors in the Titanic were from the lower quarters ( rich kids and wealthy people died immediately out of lack of stamina and survival skills ).

Dex-chan lover
It was not a coincidence it IS in the same decade that Alfred Nobel invented the dynamite. It was probably a Masonic test of how much damage a dynamite can do to a steel hull.

I would've also liked to see an epilogue with Mikami having to adjust to the present day society and tech, but overall I was satisfied with the ending. Glad Ichinose wasn't the survivor and I didn't expect the reveal with Yahata.

This author is really good and i'll start to follow the rest of their works.
Thank you for the translation!

Users who are viewing this thread