Lily Marble - Ch. 34

Dex-chan lover
@Raknasuu
including a queer character or not including one is also a political statement.

Only if you make it into one, or see the world through a intersectional lens.

Dex-chan lover
@Northern

I mean, you could write a character that so happens to be queer, and is first and foremost a human being. But even so what you do with that character comes with something called representation (I'm not talking about social responsabilties here as I actually hate that concept for reasons) making it political even if you don't intend to. Ignoring that fact in the times we are living in is a little naive...

Views on life are indeed political and writing something is a way to express a particular perspective. That's why some authors get better with experience and age, they have more stuff to write about and also had the time to solidify their world view. If you don't write queer characters for whatever reason (Maybe you just don't wanna get into trouble, or don't actually know any queer people for example) that's a world view too and it's completely fine. You know what they say, being apolitical it's a political stance in itself. People are gonna judge either way you choose a party or not.

"You never take a stance and let others decide for you" or "You don't have to be correct all the time, get angry for God's sake" Sounds familiar? It's tropey but there are people who are and think about others like that.

I'm not even talking about characters whose main plot point is precisely that they are queer. Those are generally poorly written in the first place. But like what happens when you are born poor or have a bad family, that stuff shapes you through life and cannot be ignored. As a writer you gotta strike a balance... Or explain the unbalanced.

I might see stuff intersectionally like you said and that may be because of my formation and live experiences. It's the first time I read about the concept tho. Seems like something people would use in order to blame the world instead of themselves yet it's a nice framework to identify problems in the bigger scale.

Dex-chan lover
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
LpRjnj4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread