Live chat instead of status updates/latest post in a side panel

Dex-chan lover
You know, in the same way Manga websites had their own Chatango on the side like a decade ago. That used to be so fun. Could it be done with Discord embed or something? It would be more usable than the latest posts panel, since there's already the What's New option in the top right of the screen and less lame than the profile status thing as social media.

I know this is a huge pain in the ass and likely wouldn't be implemented, but I really wanted to throw the idea out there. I guess it'd need to be moderated too and that's another issue.

Dex-chan lover
Then again if it's the actual discord server interaction it's already moderated. :nyoron:

Dex-chan lover
Then again how would that work out for members who don't have Discord accounts also?

Dex-chan lover
Then again how would that work out for members who don't have Discord accounts also?
Doesn't have to be Discord. Though Discord would be the easiest since there's already a Mangadex server, just make a "website chat" section thingy in Mangadex's Discord and embed that somewhere visible on the website. Some users would be more convinced to make a Discord account if they saw the chat panel each time they got on the forum

Could be done, probably, but I sure hope it never does.
Why not? The Community part of the website would become hella addicting if it did. There would always be some people chatting at any moment.
Though a big part of the charm in Chatango days was that anonymous users could chat without registering. I'm sure they won't let something like that happen nowadays.

Contributor
Why not? The Community part of the website would become hella addicting if it did. There would always be some people chatting at any moment.
Though a big part of the charm in Chatango days was that anonymous users could chat without registering. I'm sure they won't let something like that happen nowadays.
Those plug-ins\add-ons are basically spyware most of the time these days. Anonymous use is just asking for trouble in terms of moderation. So once you force people to have an account/register you might as well just use discord...

Users who are viewing this thread