Loading placeholders trigger HDR brightness (and blindness)

Double-page supporter
The loading placeholders that appear before a page fetches all of its data apparently use a white color that triggers the HDR brightness on relevant displays (in my case a MacBook Pro 2023). This shows itself by the loading indicators being extremely bright when compared to the rest of the screen, which is very disorienting.

The brightness is probably around two times brighter than the maximum brightness a user can normally use. Vivid is an app that enables HDR on the entire screen to allow this brightness bump as well, if you're interested in seeing comparison shots between max brightness in regular circumstances and max brightness in HDR mode.

Last edited:
I hate to bump up an older post but I wanted to point out that this issue is still present and especially visible on most modern Apple products. I can see the ultra-bright skeleton loading states on iPhone / iPad and other HDR supported displays. Definitely doesn't feel intentional, very curious to know what the issue actually is! 😅

Thanks!

୧⍢⃝୨
Staff
Super Moderator
Hi, sorry for the very, very late reply. From what I can tell, our devs who had Apple devices with HDR didn't experience any issue with it, and since the Imgur on OP's post is gone, we would like to receive new visual information about this, preferably a video.

No worries kouyo, thanks very much for taking a look at this issue!

I've recorded a scrappy YouTube video capturing this issue on two different monitors:

The monitor on the left is non-HDR, the right is HDR. It might be a bit tough to tell based on an SDR video presumably being watched on an SDR screen, but if you notice you'll see how much whiter the placeholder skeleton loading states are compared to the non-HDR monitor, which blend in with the overall site background. Those white spots are at 100% HDR brightness for the display, so it'll vary depending on the screen but generally is extremely bright!

Users who are viewing this thread