Renai Daikou - Vol. 4 Ch. 39 - Love Agency

Dex-chan lover
You're 100% correct. I have no idea what's going on with this man, but he seems to be just incapable of... I don't even know. Finishing the job? Kaguya's last third was a continuous dumpster fire with a straight up trash ending, oshi no ko seems to be going nowhere, and now this... thing of a manga. No structure, half of plotlines forgotten, I have no idea what it was supposed to be about.

At this point I'm just wondering how did he manage to write Kaguya, objectively the best romcom (up to a certain point). He's a fraud, but a bad fraud in that sometimes he writes straight up fire, and sometimes... Renai Daikou
This happens when mid is brought into the light.

Dex-chan lover
You're 100% correct. I have no idea what's going on with this man, but he seems to be just incapable of... I don't even know. Finishing the job? Kaguya's last third was a continuous dumpster fire with a straight up trash ending, oshi no ko seems to be going nowhere, and now this... thing of a manga. No structure, half of plotlines forgotten, I have no idea what it was supposed to be about.

At this point I'm just wondering how did he manage to write Kaguya, objectively the best romcom (up to a certain point). He's a fraud, but a bad fraud in that sometimes he writes straight up fire, and sometimes... Renai Daikou
Maybe the divorce really broke him.

Dex-chan lover
I was thinking...
I read worse manga that didn't was axed that fast, and to be honest the last chapters the history was getting better.
But, the thing is, I think the fact that it was Akasaka writing made things worse.
I mean, when you are a famous mangaka everything you create will have a high expectation and with this you also get harsher criticism.

Dex-chan lover
I'm coming here after reading chapter 158 of Oshi no Ko, just to see, that it got axed.

And I'm not surprised. Just look at popularity and score of this title and subtract that it was Aka's manga. If it wasn't him, this title would get like maximum of half that popularity and at least whole point lower score. I was writing about this way earlier and I was predicting axe, but everyone just scolded me. Jokes on you. It was bad and boring from the start, just having big name to promote it. IMHO ofc.
But how did I have a hunch, that this will end that way? Well, Aka's writing has been dropping in quality for some time, which you could see in Oshi No Ko roughly at a time, when this title was dropped, but here it was way more pronounced, due to not having strong backbone build during his prime, like Oshi no Ko did.

Dex-chan lover
I keep seeing people saying they wish this manga had continued, but I'm glad they axed it early. There wasn't anything in these 40 chapters you couldn't find in a hundred other SoL high school rom-coms.

Here's hoping the extra time in Aka's schedule lets him pull Oshi no Ko out of its nosedive.
Heh, and here comes chapter 158. And that nosedive actually became something more like Titan's last voyage into Titanic wreck.

Dex-chan lover

Kaguya was basically gag manga filled with story in-between - that's why it had almost 300 chapters. If you'd remove all the joke/meme chapters and bits, you'd be left with less than a quarter of a proper, relevant storytelling. You can especially see that at the end, where he simply wasn't too keen to prolong any further this monster of a manga (in terms of size), so he "focused" straight on a story. And how it came to be... Well, we all know.

Similar case was/is with OnK. The beginning has similar structure to Kaguya, where plot is intertwined with a lot of gags, irrelevant shits and giggles. It gave him time to think, sort and react to all ideas that were in his mind, sifting through bad ones and throwing mostly good ones. But it didn't last much longer, because at some point (roughly when Renai Daikou was released) Aka started including only story in his work, without anything between. Maybe he has personal problems, maybe he's burnt out, maybe he's scared of creating another almost 300 chapters long story, idk, but instead of delivering well thought plots, he's wandering around some rough ideas and try to sell those as "finished product".

OnK has this advantage over Renai, like I wrote in my earlier comment, that it has background from times, when he was into that kind of writing, so for some time he had something to work with, buy at this point he's out of those strong points and have to rely solely on what he'll create "in a pinch" - which is working like... well, it just isn't working anymore. Renai didn't have that kind of privilege, from the start it was created as 100% story-focused title, and just after ~5 chapters many people could see, that it simply won't work. Thus it's comparibly low popularity and score.

Dex-chan lover
Well, this one wasn't that good to begin with, so whatever.
Now that I read it again, it's not just "wasn't that good", it's complete dogshit. None of the characters are worth giving a shit about. Why did I even read this crap again?

Banned
Biggest fumble of a manga I've ever seen shit was so good in my opinion but why would you not extend it and finish with fatty tanuki and aikawa's romance build up and happy ending. Truly disappointed in this series just because of that

Users who are viewing this thread