Lucia and the Loom ~Weaving Her Way to Happiness~ - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - secondo

Dex-chan lover
A genuine couturier would button the lowest button of a jacket. Suits are actually tailored to have it fastened.

Group Leader
A genuine couturier would button the lowest button of a jacket. Suits are actually tailored to have it fastened.
I don't know much about suits, but I'm surprised you caught that!

It's not mentioned in the manga, but in the original light novel the suit isn't meant to be made all that well. She talks a lot about things she didn't do well and I think it's the first suit she made. So that may actually be intentional!

May also be our mangaka doesn't know much about suits haha~

Dex-chan lover
in the original light novel the suit isn't meant to be made all that well. She talks a lot about things she didn't do well
Given her mentor's response to her, I think that we should take her self-evaluation with a grain of salt. She may be an unreliable narrator, in being too self-critical.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I don't know much about suits, but I'm surprised you caught that!
The expert menswear advice is you never fasten the bottom button on a two button jacket (or for that matter any type of suit or waistcoat), and tailored suits are designed so they look best unfastened

It’s a vestigial tradition from when men would unfasten the bottom button on their suit jackets to ride horses

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/advice/a33367/how-to-button-suit-jacket/

https://www.businessinsider.com/suit-button-rules-bottom-top-2017-3

Dex-chan lover
The expert menswear advice is you never fasten the bottom button on a two button jacket (or for that matter any type of suit or waistcoat), and tailored suits are designed so they look best unfastened
The expert advice depends upon the nation of origin.
It’s a vestigial tradition from when men would unfasten the bottom button on their suit jackets to ride horses
It developed in the UK, in the 20th Century, when King Edward VII started doing it. Two different explanations have been offered:
  • He had a hard time with those buttons because he was fat.
  • He affected it to set himself apart.
If the latter is true, well, because so many men (including commoners) swiftly imitated him, it failed. But where were these men? It's not as if continental Europeans were going to say “Oh, my! Let us ape the King of England!”

Dex-chan lover
The expert advice depends upon the nation of origin.

It developed in the UK, in the 20th Century, when King Edward VII started doing it. Two different explanations have been offered:
  • He had a hard time with those buttons because he was fat.
  • He affected it to set himself apart.
If the latter is true, well, because so many men (including commoners) swiftly imitated him, it failed. But where were these men? It's not as if continental Europeans were going to say “Oh, my! Let us ape the King of England!”
I didn’t dive too deep into the history of it, which is fine, because it’s kind of irrelevant to the contemporary practice of never fastening the button button, and the man is clearly wearing a contemporary style suit which is why the mangaka drew him with only his top button fastened

Dex-chan lover
I didn’t dive too deep into the history of it, which is fine, because it’s kind of irrelevant to the contemporary practice of never fastening the button button
Your having introduced the issue of history and made a mistaken pronouncement about that history, you shouldn't now be waving-away history on a claim that it's irrelevant.
the man is clearly wearing a contemporary style suit which is why the mangaka drew him with only his top button fastened
Plainly the choice of the mangaka reflects the belief of the mangaka.

MangaDex also has a series in which a barista is drawn pouring hot water through a filter for a drip brewer — mind you that the filter is not in a drip brewer — placed atop an open moka pot. Well, okay. That's what the artist imagines a barista doing, to make coffee of some sort.

Dex-chan lover
Your having introduced the issue of history and made a mistaken pronouncement about that history, you shouldn't now be waving-away history on a claim that it's irrelevant.

Plainly the choice of the mangaka reflects the belief of the mangaka.

MangaDex also has a series in which a barista is drawn pouring hot water through a filter for a drip brewer — mind you that the filter is not in a drip brewer — placed atop an open moka pot. Well, okay. That's what the artist imagines a barista doing, to make coffee of some sort.
if you’re looking for historical specificity in a fantasy manga, you are not going to find it

I attempted to provide a historical background because naturally one would want to fasten both, as there are two buttons, and there must be some rational explanation as to why one wouldn’t fasten both

To be honest I also was confused about why I shouldn’t fasten the bottom button, but honestly it looks sexier

also the issues in her tailoring are represented in the bunching on the sleeves and not the buttons

Dex-chan lover
if you’re looking for historical specificity in a fantasy manga, you are not going to find it
No one was. I was responding to your incompetent historical claim.
I attempted to provide a historical background because naturally one would want to fasten both, as there are two buttons, and there must be some rational explanation as to why one wouldn’t fasten both
You shouldn't have presented your mistaken conjecture as-if simple fact. And you simply should know more history.
honestly it looks sexier
You are of course free to feel that way. I have never thought that a man looked sexy in a suit; but, more generally, I have never thought that a man looked sexy.
also the issues in her tailoring are represented in the bunching on the sleeves and not the buttons
In-so-far as I wrote
we should take her self-evaluation with a grain of salt
you may infer that I didn't see the suit as made such that the bottom button could not be buttoned.

Dex-chan lover
No one was. I was responding to your incompetent historical claim.

You shouldn't have presented your mistaken conjecture as-if simple fact. And you simply should know more history.

You are of course free to feel that way. I have never thought that a man looked sexy in a suit; but, more generally, I have never thought that a man looked sexy.

In-so-far as I wrote

you may infer that I didn't see the suit as made such that the bottom button could not be buttoned.
well with this I‘ve had enough talking with economist for a lifetime goodbye

Users who are viewing this thread