Mabaram The School Conqueror - Ch. 9 - Mutual Understanding

holy sht i thought i found a good story but the mc is absolutely stupid.

author tries to gloss over it as "democratic leadership" but even in fantasy this wouldn't work. just gives the culprits another chance and makes everyone realize they can commit misdemeanors and get away with it.

Group Leader
@Phantoxic I mean, just seeing how guilty they felt, they got their punishment already. Also, if I were Mabaram, I would have postponed the punishment to until after the invasion battle.

By the way, I think you've missed a HUGE key point in Mabaram's mindset, which is NOT to act like large schools do. This will be explored later on in the story, you can bet on it.

While this is a very shonen-like/"fantasy" development, I find it kind of funny to expect anything different. It's like the comments in most romance manga complaining about the main character being oblivious/the main couple taking too long to get together, just makes me feel like that "First time?" James Franco meme.

Anyway, I liked this chapter. As kovalide said, I think the decision regarding the punishment made a lot of sense from what we've seen until now about Mabaram, and I'm 99% sure his democratic leadership/"want to be different from large schools" mindset will become a plot point as the Metro school grows and faces increasingly hard decisions in order to do so. Considering this, this chapter was essential to establish the Mabaram and Jung-suk dynamic - as one seems very focused on the bonds he shares with the students who elected him and on not being like large schools in their "evil" ways, and the other not only comes from a large school but seems to absolutely embody the mindset you would see in one (even having been kicked out for corruption).

For this reason I found it pretty interesting that Jung-suk reacted with so much disgust but ended up recognizing him as a "person" and not a simple tool. I can't really see Jung-suk opening up at all with the way he's been painted until now as a devil kind of character in the "deal with the devil" sense of the word.

I'm really really excited about this story and this chapter was very cool. Thanks for the translation and upload!

Dex-chan lover
I hate these sorts of resolutions but even more so the moral reasoning used to support them. But I understand why the author made this the way it is in order to set up future dynamics or reasonings as to keep the character aligned with their vision. So I’ll give it pass that the countless other shonen usually get for something like this, but what I really hope to see more of is to explore the setting and maybe get some info on what happens to the adults

@Phantoxic

I mean, the other option is to punish them, and you know what that creates? Fear.

This system of a democratically voted President can't be ruled by fear, because if it was, there would be rebellion, escape, and traitors at the first sign of something happening to them. Sure if it's a monarchy, where everyone's desensitized to this already, it would work, since they don't have the power to react, or they think they don't.
But give a bunch of people the power to do something, even if just a very little, they'll start to realize they want freedom, and they won't take well to living under fear.

Your assumed proposed solution was to punish them, but in this system, it would be impossible to punish them without the problems you mentioned, since even if everyone agrees, everyone knows "This is what happens if we act out... This doesn't seem like a fun system to live in." But by a system which encourages connection and redemption, you can still take out the problem without having to punish someone for it.
The people who started this sht, they're not gonna do it again, you saw what happened, and the other people knew what happened to them, and it wasn't even by their own leader! They aren't going to do anything, they know what will happen. All of the problems you bring up don't even apply because it works off the logic people will have an incentive to commit crime such as this even knowing what will happen.

Of course, crimes inside the school will be punished, everyone knows that, but the difference is that everyone already understands what happens then, they live at that school after all, so you don't change much by taking care of some people who did things people don't know the response for.

Everyone knows what happens if you murder a man, If you decide to take care and treat someone who sold state secrets, no one is going to start feeling like they can murder people.

THANK YOU, I THINK I GONNA LOVE THIS MANHWA.

btw if this gain popularity maybe some shit gonna blame the art style and other thing, fuck you ELITES

Meh, might drop this. the problem is not that they escaped, it is not a problem if they just escaped then came back, the problem is they sold out their friends to enemy, enemy who might just destroy the school and make the students their slave.

Group Leader
@Qwertyfox Actually, from the story so far, it doesn't seem like subjugated students would be treated as slaves. It stands to reason that the bigger your assault team is, the easier the mergings will be. Knowing that students are only knocked out for 20 mins, mergings will need to be extremely quick. Therefore, simply holding conquered students as slaves instead of as resources for subjugating others would be mind-numbingly dumb. It would be much more logical for Patriot Academy (whom we've seen handcuffing their merging targets) to offer redeeming options to the newly accepted students. The more students the more supply, afterall. And punishing the traitors wouldn't be necessary if they didn't allow people to actually betray them, that would most likely be new students rather than older ones. It's much easier to allow someone to join your cause than to force them to unwillingly (in Korea, honor is a thing, don't expect sore losers too much).

Overall, it's to be confirmed. We know that some people are left in the desert to seemingly die, so depending on how dark this story is supposed to be, I could certainly be wrong.

@KairukuKonf
"Everyone knows what happens if you murder a man, If you decide to take care and treat someone who sold state secrets, no one is going to start feeling like they can murder people."

Yea man, they're all going to start selling state secrets instead. And that isn't even a worthy comparison, something more spot on would be "i put everyone's lives in jeopardy and now I'm fine," which, according to your very words, would mean that everyone would put everyone else's lives in jeopardy.

Also you mention how everyone would say "this isn't a fun system to live in" which is not only bs, but at least proves that you have a system. By pardoning everyone who makes a crime, there wouldn't even be a so called system that you're mentioning.
People within this scenario would clearly know "hey, if I do something bad something bad will happen to me" which is a goddamn fair mindset that is quite literally used throughout the entire world.

Ah well, they're lucky the people who sold the school out still has enough good in them to realize their mistakes.

Fed-Kun's army
@Phantoxic agreed, this is turned into naruto BS forgiveness level. No punishment for a crime means that crime will prosper because there is fear for the consequences. If this wasn't a stupid Shonen-level BS comic, r*pe and stuff would happen. I mean, the traitors stole valuable equipment, sold their comrades, and no punishment!?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread