Machikado Mazoku - Vol. 4 Ch. 44 - Black Emotions!! Darkness Peach Special!!

Yikes, BugDemon's insistence got me curious to search the term. Turns out that in Japan the term "Shoujo Ai" is used... for "Lolicon" instead...

It's very hard to change the perception at this point though, as is it conventionally (mis)used in most translations sites, including mangadex. "Yuri" indeed should better by original meaning. There is the tag "Smut" that can be used to differentiate after all. Convincing the site administrators would not be easy however...

@Evron
Mangadex already tagged a few non-smut works as Yuri. They are halfway there, so there is nothing wrong with insisting on using the correct tag and letting Shoujo Ai die already.

@BugDemon
Never said it was wrong. But I see, seems promising. If Mangadex does correct the usage it would be a good influence on other sites. It does bother me now that I know the meaning...

@rurikuchan
That is another option, a switch of terms.

@giraffemangome More typesetters and proofreaders are always welcome. Thank you for your input. I'll be sure to pass it along to the group so we can revise some. Please drop into our discord that's linked on the group page and poke one of the staff if you'd like to help out with in-progress chapters.

Well whatever the case, a word has various meanings, in japan they use girl love instead of shoujo ai, but in english, we mostly use shoujo ai instead of girl love, both have the same meaning of focusing on romantic sense only, the other shoujo ai about being lolicon is a different thing, since the word in kanji literally means pedophilia :3
Don't wanna use yuri, it's too general and vast in meanings :<

@rurikuchan
Shoujo is always refering to a young girl in this context, so the term by default has a pedophile connotation. There is no "other" Shoujo Ai. Shoujo Ai does not refer to focusing on love, it is a term for pedophilic love of young girls, including sexual themes. The term was always wrong and should never have been used in the West. Stupid companies advertising Yuri as Shoujo Ai to imitate Shounen Ai, which was briefly used in Yaoi circles in Japan, have completely messed up. Girls Love is fine, because like BL, it has always been established as same sex love stories.
How come that all localisation companies these days use "Yuri" instead of Shoujo Ai? Because they aren't stupid. Shoujo Ai is a plague that is mostly infesting the internet and illegal scanalation sites, not the official circles anymore.

What about Yuri is "too broad"? That's like saying "Shounen" is too broad a term. It's the freaking genre. Of course it is broad. How is GL any less broad than Yuri?

@BugDemin Yes, you are right, shoujo ai should have never meant to be something so pretty as its original word clearly states the opposite, i was naive to think there is a kind of genre that describes a relationship development without sexual desire since all human romantic relationship was fueled by desire, i sincerely apologize if my lack of japanese culture and printing industry knowledge piss you off

@rurikuchan
You don't have to go all sarcastic on me just because you don't like what I said.
Sexual desire is an innate part of most romance, that is just unavoidable, but whether any sexual themes are actually explored depends on each author. Yuri has never and will never make any claim on whether smut or adult themes will be involved. As @Evron said, if we want to differentiate "pure" yuri from "adult" yuri, we should make that dependant on the additional tags.
If it's Yuri Seinen, you can expect it to have adult themes. If it's Yuri Shounen, it won't usually go farther than ecchi. And on scanlation sites tags like "Smut" or "NSFW" will solve all other questions one could have as to what kind of yuri you get. There are rarely any tags that give you explicit detail about the story. The "supernatural" tag can't tell you what kind of supernatural things are involved.

Dex-chan lover
Gosh I don't know what I'm more surprised by, that we have like a whole volume to go before catching up, two chapters releasing so close, or the fact that Momo wants Shamiko to touch her tummy (just not immediately). Like legit I've only found out about this manga/anime at like the beginning of November, and I love it to death! It's hella gay and wholesome too! I mean, we literally solved the problem by having Momo eat her GF's cooking.

Double-page supporter
@gpot97
@giraffemangome
Page 6, Strip 1, Panel 1:
"Stalking is a crime no matter how you put it", "Do you know why you fell to darkness again so suddenly?". Point is, Ogura is probably the one who said the last line, considering how it cut Momo's line off.
Pointing this one out since it was bolded, but it's unlikely for this to be an error. Based on the title and Lilith's face, it should be Lilith getting cut off. Then you have Momo sticking her arm out, so not only is she speaking over Lilith but she's physically blocking her too.

Dex-chan lover
The debate about the tags and what they actually mean is an interesting one, but a bit academic for me. I was actually in Japan recently and saw this manga in a bookstore in the section that was very clearly yuri manga.

This chapter seemed to cut things really close though. Why not simply have Momo sign herself over to Shamiko instead of risking vanishing? Even being magically much weaker is better than disappearing entirely. I'm surprised no one thought of that.

@Kaldrak
"This chapter seemed to cut things really close though. Why not simply have Momo sign herself over to Shamiko instead of risking vanishing?"
Momo doesn't want to. It's pretty stubborn, but she would rather fade away than become Shamiko's dependent. In the end they had a solution that didn't require to take that final step, so that's why they didn't do it. I'm certain if Ogura had not told them how to return Momo back Shamiko, Lilith and Mikan would have persuaded her to make a contract at all costs.

Dex-chan lover
@BugDemon

Momo's attitude and apparent obstinance about becoming a vessel right now is completely understandable in terms of marriage. Is it good to get married to someone if you are too weak to be an individual within the marriage, or too weak to contribute optimally to it, or because your very life only seems possible because of it? I don't think anyone would say so. Those are Momo's problems with becoming Shamiko's vassal right now. She wants to be strong, she wants Shamiko to grow strong, and she doesn't want their mutual dependence to strangle them.

@bugdemon I prefer Yuri too. I wasn't sure if manga Dex had one. Either way this manga really needs it's gayness tagged. Shamiko and Momo is clearly the real story in this one. ^^

@BugDemon Momo doesn't want to be Shamiko's vassal yet because she wants to be the top.
As for the yuri discourse: I've known about the controversies surrounding the term "shoujo ai" for years now, and have never used it since. As for if this series can be considered yuri? I wouldn't mind, but I imagine some yuri fans would get angry if this series gets that label without any love confessions or kiss scenes. So maybe hold off on the label to avoid that backlash?
I do remember someone, maybe BugDemon, mentioning that Momo confesses in a later chapter, so maybe we could just wait until that chapter gets translated? That way we could avoid any potential controversy.

@BugDemon and @GurrenPrime5
The confession didn't happen in chapter 65 (the first of the future volume 6), it happened in the 64 (the last of volume 5).

@GurrenPrime5
Although Shamilator's translations have not yet reached that point, a user on the board / u / translated the scene in question. I leave it here, in case you want to see it
http://is2.4chan.org/u/1571936765817.png
PD: Could someone teach me how to insert images? Please?

Users who are viewing this thread