Machikado Mazoku - Vol. 4 Ch. 48 - A New School Term! The Magical Girl’s New Role!

Dex-chan lover
@BugDemon

Not many things make me laugh out loud, but that "Momo's looks" part did. It's the funniest accidental confession I can remember.

@thofheinz
It's the thing I mentioned looking forward to next chapter as well. Makes the Top 3 gayest Shamiko moments, easily.

@gpot97
Oh for the love of... please tell me you aren't actually going to translate her name as
Ugaruru
. 😨
I implore you... she is based on this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugallu
demon. That's her actual name. Shamilator is not very accurate on many things, but this one's correct.
As for
her speech pattern, I'd suggest broken English with the occasional "uga" thrown in there. I know it can't be easy, but you even went crazy on the Ye Olde English with Lilith, so it's nothing you can't handle, right?

@gpot97
Please... don't change names on a whim just because you think it sounds cuter. You know just as well as I do that Japanese isn't made for such names and that's why it's written that way. You also don't translate Metatron as "Metarutorunu" or Michael as "Mikaeru". This is something all translation teams should learn from the very start, never go for the direct romanization if an actual Latin alphabet version of the name exists, unless it is somehow implicitly conveyed to be on purpose. I mean the fact that you had to think of an excuse to do it already proves that you are wrong about it... 😓
If most people don't get upset about that choice it would simply be because most don't know about the original myth in the first place.

Well it's your translation and I'm just some useless leech, so you don't have to take my opinion into consideration. I can just tell you ahead of time that at least on /a/ some people will lose it. Ultimately the people who know, know. We will survive... somehow.
aeJApfX.png

@gpot97 I imagine that it’s written like that in Japanese due to the limitations of the Japanese writing system, every consonant needing a whole syllable, and all that. Plus, pointlessly changing the names of things just because of the way it’s written in katakana is how the Fate franchise got the horrible “Altria” as a feminine version of “Arthur.” And imho,
Ugallu
, despite being the real name of a demon, actually kinda sounds cuter to me. It rolls off the tongue better, so it’s easier for me to imagine it being said in a cutesy voice.

@BugDemon @GurrenPrime5 Understood, I'll pass this stuff along. Thanks for the feedback. I check the comments pretty actively on our posts and keep track of what people did and didn't like and make changes as needed. I do appreciate your opinions so don't knock yourself like that~

EDIT: One of our translators is going to check volume 5 and see if there's an official transliteration. If there is, we'll go with whatever the official is.

Dex-chan lover
Not again with the name problem. Why do you care so much about how it's writing ? It mean the same thing anyway. It's not like people will lost the meaning or be disturbed for that small thing. And god those long discussions are nervewrecking when they happen.

@Lilliwyt That's why I floated the trial balloon here with someone who had read ahead. I don't want people to be screaming in the comments. Best to avoid pissing off people even if the majority won't read into the name.

@gpot97
The Volume 5 Intro has no such thing, because
Lilith wasted all the pages on some random zombie apocalypse spin-off fake recap
. I don't know if the epilogue or some extra has the romanized version though, so maybe look a bit further into Volume 5?
Othwerise going with the actual name of the demon as it has been used for millenia might be the most obvious choice to go to. 😅

@Lilliwyt
You have the surpreme honor of ignoring the conversations you don't care for. This precious freedom was gifted to you and you alone. Make use of it wisely.

Dex-chan lover
@BugDemon You frankly make it difficult to avoid them when you come to answer everytime someone talk in the comment section. If i had ignore the conversation i don't care of, it will be more simple to block you but honestly i only block trolls and idiots people so i don't have really a reason to do so for you. I don't have any reasonables solutions, i ain't gonna ignore the comment section all together.

We'll talk about this some more in our group chat. Hopefully whatever decision we make ends up being the right one.

Resident Yuripig
Group Leader
@gspot97
For the love of everything unholy, I really hope you don't JUST take what Shamilator's written and ignore everything else the Shamiproofer and all the other anons have replied and fixed. I'm all up in those threads and there's a LOT of fixing going on, including stuff that I've contributed, too and I've been scanlating since 2005. If you just take what Shamilator's done, you miss everything else and you're starting with something that's really rough and also you're re-inventing the wheel. It's neither smart nor a good use of your time.

@Ichigo69
Uhm, Sunrise Arrow has been very clear on that they basically redid the entire script on their own and barely even use Shamilator's translations anymore. Not sure how you came to that conclusion from this conversation anyway. The issue was that they tried to do something wrong that Shamilator actually did right.
Also nice Freudian slip

@Ichigo69 We compile both the original translation and the changes from the thread at the time we start working on the chapter into a Google doc. After that the translation and proofing teams check it over and make additional changes if needed (at least that's what it was before we got more translators, I've been busy with the end of the semester recently so I'm not sure if we've started relying more on the internal TL team). That's why we credit /a/ and not just Shamilator.

We originally started this group without much experience so it's been a learning curve for all of us and I still have some stuff to go back and fix on the older releases come winter break. We have recruited a couple people with more scanlating experience since then and they've been helpful bringing us up to speed.

Also you're the first person to call me gspot on this platform. You don't win anything but I wanted you to know. It happens a lot, I'm surprised it took this long lol.

Resident Yuripig
Group Leader
@gpot97
Oops! Sorry! I'm not sure why I read gspot instead of gpot (whistles).
Anyway thanks for replying and letting us know that you haven't abandoned all the work we did on /a/.

Users who are viewing this thread