Machikado Mazoku - Vol. 5 Ch. 53 - Communications Revolution! Starting from Today I'm a Smart Demon!

Fed-Kun's army
really great chapter shamiko and momo are just so adorable and funny

This chapter was sponsored by RAID: Shadow Legends. The best mobile RPG of 2019.

Dex-chan lover
Try Honkai Impact Instead

it is worrisome now that Shamiko has smartphone, she likes to play games, and Shamiko has almost to zero online security affinity.
I worry if she without knowing pay a gacha game alot of money.

Poor, poor Shamiko. First she got ripped off on a phone plan, then she’s gonna get ripped off by her nostalgia-trip game 😢
I know the part of the curse preventing them from making money has been lifted, but still.
Also, why wouldn’t her mother be around for this decision-making process? I know Japanese kids are expected to be more independent at younger ages compared to American kids, but this is a pretty big and expensive commitment. You’d think the parents should have some oversight.

Shamiko was a dummy in this chapter. Everyone's acting like it was Momo's or Seiko's fault for not being around, but Shamiko stormed off on her own and went through with the contract despite not understanding anything. She refused the help that was offered to her out of sheer pride. This is the bad side of Shamiko's tsundere personality.

Momo was extremely understanding and supportive, taking Shamiko's financial and family situation into account, yet she was treated like an insensitive oaf for not being able to mindread. That GPS thing is pretty shady though... well she is just overprotective. She wants to know where Shamiko is to rush to her rescue whenever necessary.
Also Momo is trying to get closer to Shamiko in her own way. I think most people overlook that she is trying to share in Shamiko's hobbies and made an active attempt to understand her better in this chapter. For those who say Momo has no initiative, think about this.

Mikan knows best. She has absolutely no chill after getting rid of the curse. Poor tangerine, getting caught in their spousal spat.

This might be the best out of context panel in the manga.
oBPUevf.png

Momo playing the role of the clueless (and in one panel sleezy acting) boyfriend to perfection this chapter. Good thing she has Mikan around to help her get back on the right track.

Dex-chan lover
Ironic a chapter about the revolution of communications has a lot of miscommunication.

(also BugDemon is right that Shamiko's being extra weird/tsundere this chapter. Momo's being the clumsy boyfriend for sure, but the demon girl is being a ground zero fussbudget)

Dex-chan lover
If you ever wonder why corporations and the government want to know your location and other private information, its just like Momo putting a GPS tracker on Shamiko's phone. It's a mix of love and concern, don't think too much about it.

KZO

Dex-chan lover
I dunno Mann, I feel the /a/ translation was a lot better in this chapter, there were so many panels that have awkwardly wording, it's hard to list them all, the most glaring ones are Shamiko's outburst when she fled and the whole sequence when she said don't think this means you've won, with this translation it's hard to tell she's saying it because she went for the friendship plan when she didn't have to.

Maybe do a double check with the /a/ translation before typesetting next time?

Anyway, been a while since these 2 had a fight, Momo just doesn't get any hints, Shamiko just wanted to match with Momo and I'm not sure if Momo really got that at the end, but at least they ended playing the same gacha game, that'll surely help them know each other better.

For people who say that Momo's only mistake in this chapter was being unable to read Shamiko, I think they are forgetting something important, she ignored Shamiko's wishes even after knowing what she wanted, deciding to prioritize “what was best for her ” https://mangadex.org/chapter/788455/5 For me, that was the big mistake Momo made in this chapter, Put Shamiko's safety above her wishes.

@KZO
"With this translation it's hard to tell she's saying it because she went for the friendship plan when she didn't have to"
I think that actualy was because she wanted to contact Momo as a friend but, for a change, she ruined the excuse Shamiko was going to use without knowing it.
" but at least they ended playing the same gacha game, that'll surely help them know each other better"
As far as I know (or remember), they never started playing together after this chapter. You can add this to the list of times that Momo had the opportunity to get to know Shamiko better, but it ended up in nothing because Momo didn't travel all the way (Like when Shamiko made an account).

Fed-Kun's army
Come on, author-san, I know you mean “lover plan”. I have never heard of “friendship plan” in my entire life. A package that allow you to call your “best friend” for free? I don’t think there is something like that, at least not in my country. lol

@Reiba1925
she ignored Shamiko's wishes even after knowing what she wanted, deciding to prioritize “what was best for her ” https://mangadex.org/chapter/788455/5 For me, that was the big mistake Momo made in this chapter, Put Shamiko's safety above her wishes.

Nonsense. The page before that literally proves you wrong. https://mangadex.org/chapter/788455/4
Momo was fine with whatever Shamiko wanted, but Shamiko actively denied she wanted the phone for games. She even apologized for trying to impose her ideas on her... but Shamiko was a thickheaded liar, so Momo got the wrong idea. She is seriously asking Shamiko for her preferences at every turn-

"You only use it for emergencies, right?" (because that's what Shamiko said she wanted it for)
"I see you wanted to play games on it... in that case a smartphone really is better. Sorry for pushing my ideas onto you" (accepting that she made a mistake, but Shamiko denies it)
"So you never wanted extra goodies of your character in the first place?" (reaffirming if Shamiko is serious about that)
"You only need it for maps and chat apps right?" (because that is what Shamiko specifically asked for)

-and Shamiko keeps dodging the issue, so Momo is going for what seemed most sensible to her financial situation and is willing to take care of the complicated stuff for her. Somehow pinning all of this on Momo makes no sense. If you don't understand that the point of this chapter was to show how stubborn Shamiko can be and how oblivious Momo sometimes is, then you really need to pay more attention.

@BugDemon
Except that on the page that I linked, Momo ignore what Shamiko tell her even though she did it with great intensity in the previous panel. I was not talking about any previous moment, I was talking about that specific moment.

pd: I also did not deny that Shamiko has partly to blame.

@Reiba1925
The two are connected, because you don't understand anything. Momo would have been fine with whatever Shamiko asked for as Page 4 proves.
I don't understand how you could think the "Eh? But then the monthly wages would..." has anything to do with Shamiko's safety. Momo is trying to tell her that a smartphone with all those capabilities would be more expensive, she didn't tell Shamiko not to get it, she didn't go against any wishes, she barely even managed to get a sentence out before Shamiko exploded.
I think even you should realize that your case is thinner than a sheet of paper.

@BugDemon
Oh. Now I understand. This "For me, that was the big mistake Momo made in this chapter, Put Shamiko's safety above her wishes" was what confused you. What I meant was that she always thought about Shamiko's safety first, that does not mean that she did not take into account what Shamiko wanted or did not listen to, but, always the first thing she thought was "which is the safest thing for shamiko", instead of "what Shamiko would like". I was talking about that.

PD: Relax a little Bro / sis. This time you entered very fast in your rage mode 😅.

PD2: About your point of view about this scene https://mangadex.org/chapter/788455/5 "Momo is trying to tell her that a smartphone with all those capabilities would be more expensive, she didn't tell Shamiko not to get it" Actualy.... that is much more reasonable. I buy it 😀.

@Reiba1925
I am not angry, just frustrated with your lack of reading comprehension, as usual. That effect will only grow over time, not lessen.
The only part that has ever been about "safety" in the entire chapter was the resilient phone thing she suggested at the start that would not break even in battle. But that was just her first instinct based on Shamiko's specification (aka makes calls in emergencies). She discarded that idea right away after Shamiko told her what she liked. Everything else in this chapter was about prices, because Shamiko is poor as hell. The karma Shamiko got for lying and rushing off on her own was an incredibly overpriced and useless contract.

The one at fault in this situation is clearly Shamiko. Momo's obliviousness is just another facette that gets explored.

Well, Here we go again 😅

"The only part that has ever been about "safety" in the entire chapter was the resilient phone thing she suggested at the start that would not break even in battle"
And the GPS part. And you ignore that the reason why Momo looked for the most efficient phone was because she wanted to keep Shamiko safe.
"But that was just her first instinct based on Shamiko's specification (aka makes calls in emergencies)."
No. https://mangadex.org/chapter/788455/2 , https://mangadex.org/chapter/788455/3 Shamiko told Momo from the beginning what phone she wanted, but she said "No, you should choose this one."
"She discarded that idea right away after Shamiko told her what she liked."
As I said before, She listened to Shamiko in the end because she cared what she wanted. But first she think about what would be better to keep Shamiko safe.
"The one at fault in this situation is clearly Shamiko. Momo's obliviousness is just another facette that gets explored"
I disagree. Clearly, the both were wrong in this chapter. Momo must have listened since the beginning what Shamiko want (and be more attentive to her feelings), and Shamiko must have been more honest. It was the fault of the both.

@Reiba1925
Because you never know when to accept you are plain wrong... sigh.
Shamiko just said she wanted a smartphone, but not why. Momo knew she knows nothing about phones, so she was giving her advice. None of it was related to safety, only to getting the best price for the features she actually wants. This is not debatable. That is literally what's happening the entire chapter.
(The GPS thing was not related to buying the phone, she just did it afterwards)

You are saying Momo needs to be a mind reader and act on information she doesn't have AND see through Shamiko's lies.... you are extremely unreasonable. Her trusting Shamiko to actually tell her the truth is not a mistake and not Momo's fault. The fact that she is very concerned and oblivious might be seen as a minor flaw, but that's just because she is not super social. Momo has been exceptionally patient and nice in this chapter, almost a bit out of character even.
If Shamiko had been honest none of this would have happened = ergo Shamiko's fault.

Dex-chan lover
Can't say i miss those pointless discussions in the comments sections.

Users who are viewing this thread