Made in Abyss - Ch. 67 - Whereabouts of the Soul

Dex-chan lover
nkzh37.png

Dex-chan lover
I don't know if it's the translation or me but I didn't get half of the chapter. A lot of reference to past stuff I don't remember I guess.

That surprise at the end doh 👌

For lore/mystery heavy series like MiA it's basically essential to occasionally reread it, otherwise things won't connect. Long breaks between chapter won't help, sure, but skimming through series once per year would refresh memories

Dex-chan lover
where did nanachi go? How is she still able to think if she's just been blasted into giblets? If everyone is able to think without a body because of "souls" then why do people stop thinking when they're alseep or knocked unconscious? Shouldn't their "soul" still be able to think regardless of what happens to the body?

Dex-chan lover
There's no blood, I think she's not instantly dead.

The birthday disease, though. So it's not just the forcefield rising, but all of Orth has been literally stewing in souls. That gives a lot more hint towards cooking everyone into relics.

Dex-chan lover
so wait at first I thought that nanachi got hit by some kind of explosion or force that blasted the ground in the final picture and basically exploded her into small bits

But now it looks like some creature came out of nowhere, landed on top of nanachi , then ran away with nanachi so fast that it displaced a load of dirt where it landed.
Does anyone have any better ideas of what the last couple of pages are showing happening?

Double-page supporter
I feel like I'm gonna have to reread this chapter a few times, but I"ll just summarize a few things.
So the "Soul" in the Abyss seems to be similar to... a recording? But one step beyond. It integrates itself into a person, amalgamates all of their experiences and memories and whatnot and sends that information back to the Abyss. And when a person dies that "recording" of their life as a whole goes back and becomes "a drop in an ocean of other souls".

According to Riko that's how the birthday disease knows who to cull, because all of the information about that person's life has already been sent back to the Abyss. Souls are also probably how A LOT of other relics and things work. Bondrewd's relic seems to take his soul and stretch it out like a fungus across all of his bodies. That's why the individual personalities of the Umbra hands aren't lost though, because it's only the soul that the abyss granted, ie "the recording" of his personality and goals etc. that has been transferred, not the literal thoughts inside Bondrewd's brain. (Though they can transfer the thoughts they have through the soul, it's not a literal copy paste job like I once thought it was)

I imagine Reg (robot) and Reg (dog) have a similar sort of thing going on. For some reason the abyss granted soul of Riko's dog probably got foisted on to Reg (robot), and because that soul already had a name associated with it Faputa unconsciously named him Reg again. Perhaps the fact that twins all have the same name is something similar. For whatever reason the abyss only has 1 "soul" for twins, so they always get subconsciously named the same thing.

Still wondering what excatly the "Shroud" is with the Umbra Hands, and the "mythographer" Nanachi mentioned. Also of course Nanachi's wellbeing too.

Last edited:
I imagine Reg (robot) and Reg (dog) have a similar sort of thing going on. For some reason the abyss granted soul of Riko's dog probably got foisted on to Reg (robot), and because that soul already had a name associated with it Faputa unconsciously named him Reg again.
I agree with the rest of your post but Faputa didn't name Reg, Reg introduced himself as Reg but maybe you meant Riko instead.
"Shroud" is the title of the umbra hands which are "shrouded" in white robes, which are the stronger umbra hands like Bidou and Gyarike and now Rimeyo.

Aggregator gang
NOOO PLEASE DON'T.
I know something sad gonna happen just like the previous arc but I'm never ready.

USING CUTE ART AND GORE IS CRIMINAL.
As I mentioned before Tsukushi feeds not on the suffering of his characters, he feeds on the suffering of the public. He have been reposting lots of cute Nanachi fanart on twitter for maximum emotional damage. "look! cute Nanachi eating! Cute Nanachi feeding koi fish! Cute Nanachi playing with Mitty! Popup store selling Nanachi merch! Cute Nanachi saying bye bye!" when he knows exaclty what was in the chapter.

Dex-chan lover
4 things
1. Did we get a whole chapter, 39 pages of none of Tsukushi's "Shenanigans", we entering the endgame now.
2. All this lore, this glorious lore, how I've missed you.
3. Faputa, you precious jellybean
4. Nanachi, noooooooooooo

Dex-chan lover
Oh no, it's that moment again where Nanachi gets separated from the group. No problem, bun will be fine but reunites with our team 2 years later

Users who are viewing this thread