Magi Craft Meister - Vol. 5 Ch. 21 - Rival

Dex-chan lover
Marcia: We have no resources...
Jin be like 'Baby, I am the resources.'

Dex-chan lover
Quick question: as an engineer I was following pretty well right up to the efficiency point of a paddle wheel over other types of fluid transportation (water, air). A paddle wheel is only efficient over slow speeds with large radii, not for racing. A directional jet would be better. But this is in non manga terms. I guess I should factor in the % of plot armor vs waifu material coefficient.

Dex-chan lover
@Curccoll
Novel reader here, the author gets most stuff by just reading Wikipedia and filling the gaps with equal parts magic and "it'll work somehow".

Dex-chan lover
@Curccoll Wouldn't a propeller be far more efficient than a paddle wheel? Or was he really so worried about not being able to balance it, despite being able to create so much fancy stuff..?

Dex-chan lover
@Curccoll
If I had to guess, it is better since human efficiency is eliminated with the golem, maintains a shallow depth in the water, and has 0 down time. A jet is only good in one direction unless it can be angled. I would assume they are going to use something similar to tank steering to turn the boat assuming they have 2 wheels and not just 1, thus making the time spent on the turn minimal since slowing down and speeding up seem less of an issue here. A jet would have to go around an arc in order to go back.

That being said, I am sure "magic" accounts for at least 40% of the variables for figuring out why it is better.

Dex-chan lover
@Curccoll : if I recall, other then a couple contestants like Reinharts (maybe just his I can not remember) all the competitors are basically using some method of rowing propulsion, the speed needs are not very high. Making a propeller would have been faster, and there are pedal powered propellers out there.

Dex-chan lover
advantages of human form ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
thank for the chapter

Dex-chan lover
If he designed a working jet engine, he already understood and perfected the principles of bladed propellers...

Dex-chan lover
@Curccoll - Jin's magic looks like it can do anything, but he is severely limited in making things that need to be symmetric to work. Without making a new spell, something like a screw propeller would only be as good as if it's drawn by a child. He had quite some trouble with even simple gears. The way I understood it, he can only make simple shapes if he needs them to be precise. And combinations of them will not be precise.
Most of his engineering only works so good because it has access to golems and fantasy materials.

Dex-chan lover
I was also wondering why reiko can use all kinds o magic, instead of some preinstalled magic circles or whatever. Unless she has a lot of those.

Were wondering why he didn't use screw/ prop propulsion..

Most probably because noone have invented it on this world yet, it's a secret for now, perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread