Magi

Dex-chan lover
First 2 arcs (which mostly are in the anime) and thereabout are good, but the final arc is boring, pedantic, and drags a lot. I can see why there was no Season 3 of the Anime, I FORCED myself to finish the manga on Viz because I was paying $2 a month for it. Even then, I had to take breaks and only finished 2 months after I started the final arc.

The author (and editors advising her) lost the plot, and threw away everything that made Magi work. The found family, the friendship and adventure, and the easy to understand, emotional plotting. Then it replaced it was dry politics and economics, and separated the core team for a loong time for little reason, and replaced emotional characterization with pretentious sounding "philosophy" that was also really childish because it just wouldn't admit that some people are evil sociopath sadists and not "misguided people" with a "different set of values".

Major faceplam all the way through the last arc of Magi, which ended with a cliche and boring, hard to follow big battle arc with pages and pages full of huge mobs of characters I could barely remember and that felt like a bad marvel movie climax. Then an almost Shueisha-style rushed 1-chapter ending where they're like "Oh yeah, and then the main trio went on a bunch of adventures" on the last page.

You know, the adventures we wanted to read about rather than pointless, boring battles with huge crowds and dull action scenes filled hard to follow mobs swinging at each other. I'm surprised this manga didn't end sooner honestly, and while I used to think it was sad the Anime didn't get a Season 3 (and beyond), now that I've finished the manga I totally understand why there wasn't and agree with the studio heads that refused to make it.

Users who are viewing this thread