Mahoutsukai no Konyakusha - Vol. 3 Ch. 13

Dex-chan lover
Personal opinion on Philomena's characterization; feel free to disagree:

I think the general irritation with her characterization is that it feels regressive compared to other recent shoujo heroines of late; she's like a more passive old-school type who gets swept up in events. Especially when compared to the more assertive/determined heroines of works like Aileen from Villainess who Keeps the Last Boss; the MCs of most Korean sonyeo webtoons, or even the straight-up ruthless lady MCs of Chinese manhwa.

@backspace Clearly this type of drama has its fans with the Japanese readerbase; the 9th LN just came out this November 2nd.

not sure how i feel about this. one one hand im glad it didnt end but on the other i see this going badly.

like your husband is the strongest magician in the nation.. doesn't want to make him worry? if it's getting worse it'd be too late.. worry and anxious is a natural defensive feeling, a danger siren.. it's not something we should avoid..😟 running away from these feeling can be a bad habit.. my experience really..

aaarrrgggh i get it.. it's drama right.. still still.. 🤧

wait what? how did she get the big ass scars? or it is just me forgetting some flashbacks/events?

@amZa No problem, it happened in some of the early chapts, still during their childhood, but basically Phil and Edi were reading in the garden and Edi summoned a really strong spirit (I think it was a lion of some sorts?) and it attacked Philomena at that time. Though she recovered well, the scars kind of makred her as some sort of "unwanted" person by the spirits, or so the nobility thinks, and she was kinda ostracized for that.

edit: ooops, saw that @heyshowtune already answered that!

Dex-chan lover
@amZa: Ch 2, she was surprised they he could read the grimoire and wanted him to show her the magic.
He summoned the flame beast from the spell, but it started attacking and she covered him.
The scar can't be cured by healing magic due to the spirit's power, and is one of the reason why she's never received any marriage proposal.

Aggregator gang
*groan*

"I'll solve this myself without talking to him about it"

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 😕

Sigh..
Philomena, you have a husband to help you.. so why not ask for help?
I get that you don't want him to worry.. but he's the strongest magician there is. So don't you think you'll solve the issue much easier...
Even if it's not really easy.. at least you're not jumping into it alone.. and recklessly... There's someone who can guide you who knows more about it.
And more importantly, two is better than one. right?

Sigh.. If I can just say this too her... She says she's much older mentally... But sigh..

Fed-Kun's army
sobs just ask your husband you dummy oh my god

thanks again for the updates~

Aggregator gang
i know why she wants to solve it by herself but also, if it's magic, shouldn't the best magician in the empire be helpful LMAO what the FRICK can u do alone Philomena SMH

Double-page supporter
@zz2000
Ooh that's really interesting, I have noticed that a lot of heroines in more recent shoujo, especially with the isekai or reincarnation tags, have more bold, cool-headed, not-easily-swayed-by-love-type heroines. It's actually rather rare now to stumble upon a reincarnation series with a more passive, soft hearted heroine. I imagine the reason why there would be backlash is because the more 'progressive image' for women right now rejects the more 'submissive traits' heroines of shoujo used to have (clumsy, shy, quiet, innocent, etc). In a lot of reincarnation fics, the failures for whoever's life the MC takes over is due to her passive behaviour. It is inspiring for me, being a rather quiet and meek person, but I don't think being passive is necessarily a bad thing, just as how being dominant isn't always good. We're currently in a stage of social movement where we're trying to change and empower the definition of what it means to be 'feminine', but we have the tendency of cutting out everything that seems to endorse the stereotype of women being less capable or ambitious than men...even if they're just traits that should not carry any positive or negative weight.
But gosh do I love it when BA heroines give awful people a good slap in the face :).

As a fellow anxious girl I kind of get why she doesn't want to make him worry BUT here's the thing: it doesn't work. You'll only make things worse and your relationship will suffer badly. From my personal experience, at least.

It's frustrating that she won't rely on him but I honestly can't blame her. I mean, he never visited when he was at school and went MIA as a hero. For as long as she has known as them, he has hardly been physically there so she probably isn't used to the possibility of getting his help.

Users who are viewing this thread