Mai-chan no Onee-san Shiiku Gohan. - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - Mom's Pepper Steak

Dex-chan lover
I wish this manga removed the cooking scenes where they just talk about the cooking work. The panels talking about how something relates to their dead mother or whatever (like how she mentioned she likes chinese pronunciations of kanji) is fine, but the rest just feels like filler

Dex-chan lover
Man this chapter was cute.
Now Mai chan wants to know more about Tama and doesn't like the idea that someone else knows more about Tama than her.
Tama needing to mentaly prepare was funny too, but in a way I understand.
It can be somewhat stressful for someone that you know to read your works.
Thanks again for the translation.

Dex-chan lover
I wish this manga removed the cooking scenes where they just talk about the cooking work. The panels talking about how something relates to their dead mother or whatever (like how she mentioned she likes chinese pronunciations of kanji) is fine, but the rest just feels like filler
You're missing the point hard, this manga is mainly cooking, the author enjoys that, the story is just to connect each recipe with the next, then comes the wholesome relationship and then their story. All the covers have food too.

Dex-chan lover
If anyone is looking for a yuri element your going to be surely disappointed because I did some digging and web publisher that this comic comes from doesn’t do yuri comics so it’s very likely this will always stay on the up and up.

If anyone is looking for a yuri element your going to be surely disappointed because I did some digging and web publisher that this comic comes from doesn’t do yuri comics so it’s very likely this will always stay on the up and up.
I don't know where you did your digging then considering they publish this, and a quick look at their site show at least a few other yuri among their published title.

I don't expect much yuri though. At best a time-skip/epilogue that show them still together, I would be surprised if we get more than that

Dex-chan lover
I don't know where you did your digging then considering they publish this, and a quick look at their site show at least a few other yuri among their published title.

I don't expect much yuri though. At best a time-skip/epilogue that show them still together, I would be surprised if we get more than that

Actually that manga is shoujo ai rather than yuri, the publisher does actually print two Yuri titles Kukkorose no Himekishi to nari, Yuri Shoukan de Hataraku koto ni Narimashita and Satsuriku no Kuindeddo – 7-nin no Onna Shikeishuu (although mangadex doesn’t list the last one as Yuri despite the sex scenes in chapter 2!) but that’s 3 out of 89 manga’s. It’s safe to say they publish the occasional yuri but they are most certainly not a Yuri publication, the yuri is kind of a subplot in both of the above mangas.

Maybe I was wrong to say they don’t publish yuri but they don’t do it to any extent. Look this is the story of found family, not yuri so get your mind out of the gutter my lad. They are not getting together for this is a cooking manga and while Futari de Okashi na Kyuujitsu o does exist it’s primarily an LGBT manga which is an entirely new kettle of fish the west can’t even begin to fathom!

Dex-chan lover
Actually that manga is shoujo ai rather than yuri,
There's a very fine line between the two that's nearly invisible. A lot (probably most) fans in the west treat the two as identical, which seems to be the case here. Interestingly it's quite different with shounen ai and yaoi, with the difference being much clearer.

Look this is the story of found family, not yuri so get your mind out of the gutter my lad. They are not getting together for this is a cooking manga and while Futari de Okashi na Kyuujitsu o does exist it’s primarily an LGBT manga which is an entirely new kettle of fish the west can’t even begin to fathom!
It being about found family is quite true, Mai & Tama's relationship is much more like siblings or even mother/daughter, with Mai being somewhat of a mother figure to Tama, despite being younger.

I don't think the person you replied to had their mind in the gutter. Instead they seemed to be thinking more of a shoujo ai thing than a sexual one, which is supported by their example of a "yuri" manga by the same publisher being described as "shoujo ai" by you. You might want to reconsider your response, because it came across pretty rude.

Hikaru's really cute being happy about her award!

image.png

Dex-chan lover
There's a very fine line between the two that's nearly invisible. A lot (probably most) fans in the west treat the two as identical, which seems to be the case here. Interestingly it's quite different with shounen ai and yaoi, with the difference being much clearer.
I believe the line between yuri and shōjo ai is the depiction sex, for example Yuri is my Job has this sex scene, meanwhile My Girlfriends Not Here Today depicts the same act in this way! I bet you can’t guess which of these two mangas are tagged as yuri on mangaupdates.

Dex-chan lover
I believe the line between yuri and shōjo ai is the depiction sex, for example Yuri is my Job has this sex scene, meanwhile My Girlfriends Not Here Today depicts the same act in this way! I bet you can’t guess which of these two mangas are tagged as yuri on mangaupdates.
It's not as clear as you want to pretend it is, for example a rather popular shoujo ai manga being named Yuru Yuri. Most fans in the west consider that yuri for rather obvious reasons.

I take back my pretty rude assessment, your insistence on doubling-down on semantics shows you're either being a deliberate asshole, or simply can't admit when you're wrong.

Dex-chan lover
I take back my pretty rude assessment, your insistence on doubling-down on semantics shows you're either being a deliberate asshole, or simply can't admit when you're wrong.

I was talking about the Japanese definition, I know perfectly well it’s all just Yuri to the west. But as someone who’s been reading manga since 2003, I’m too well indoctrinated in the Japanese definition that fool heartedly assumed we were talking on the same wavelength. As much as I despise lack proper differential I have begrudgingly accepted that mangadex will never separate Shōjo ai and Yuri into two separate categories because it uses the modern western prospective.

Dex-chan lover
Both are tagged as yuri

Yes but it’s like how netorare is cheating but not all cheating is netorare. Some people like to make a distinction between the two as your going to have a hard time getting your rocks off to shōjo ai.

Aggregator gang
I was talking about the Japanese definition, I know perfectly well it’s all just Yuri to the west. But as someone who’s been reading manga since 2003, I’m too well indoctrinated in the Japanese definition that fool heartedly assumed we were talking on the same wavelength. As much as I despise lack proper differential I have begrudgingly accepted that mangadex will never separate Shōjo ai and Yuri into two separate categories because it uses the modern western prospective.
Wut, shoujo Ai has always been a Western thing, made up by and used by Western people, never being a thing used by the Japanese, for them it was always yuri and nothing more, that situation only came to change when Girl love aka GL did take off on the 2000s as a synonymous term for yuri, so if the modern Western prospective is to use only yuri and phase out shoujo ai, then that is nothing more than aligning to the Japanese prospective.
Besides, this series is tagged yuri by Yurinavi and some Japanese digital stores have tagged it as romance, so voices calling it yuri are coming from both Japan and the West.

Dex-chan lover
Wut, shoujo Ai has always been a Western thing, made up by and used by Western people, never being a thing used by the Japanese, for them it was always yuri and nothing more, that situation only came to change when Girl love aka GL did take off on the 2000s as a synonymous term for yuri, so if the modern Western prospective is to use only yuri and phase out shoujo ai, then that is nothing more than aligning to the Japanese prospective.
Besides, this series is tagged yuri by Yurinavi and some Japanese digital stores have tagged it as romance, so voices calling it yuri are coming from both Japan and the West.
Oh today I learn. Thanks for the information! I normally straight up avoid shoujo ai stories as it never going to be racy enough for my tastes. Although some of them have some juicy plots, like yuri is my job, where Goeidou is hands down the best character in the series and I’m going to drop it if she leaves.

Dex-chan lover
I was surprised by this recipe. I saw "pepper steak" and I was thinking "Oh, something Western" and was picturing a, like, steak, covered in peppercorns . . . Now I want a steak . . .
Don't get me wrong, it seems like a nice recipe, I'm just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread