Mainichi Ie ni Kuru Gal ga Kyorikan Zero Demo Yasashiku nai - Ch. 5

Contributor
Be honest if the main girl was drawn as a real overweight whale how many of you would read this.

On a semi related note.
https://mangadex.org/title/2b696f83-e197-45a7-9b4c-4703e8d0adbb/pocha-pocha-suieibu

To address a few other posters talking about reducing food consumption here we are still stuck at the calories in calories out trap, which is extremely limited and is promoted by companies like coca coola because it doesn't actually address the real issue with how the body regulates its weight since it only checks the accounting of how much energy is going in and out of the body system when what we need to focus on is the why and how of our hormonal regulatory systems that control how hungry we feel and what our body does with the food we consume because it can do things like uncoupling mitochondrial function that burns more energy to generate heat upping the metabolic rate and increasing the calories out at the other end it can induce lethargy; minimising energy expenditure on movement so that the metabolic rate goes down and reduces the calories out. Both of these are ultimately hormonally controlled and heavily affected by what we eat, how often or in what format we eat because of how this affects hormones like insulin. On the other side of the equation factors like food satiety acting as another crucial factor driving the calories in, foods high in essential nutrients such as protein, cholesterol, or various minerals will stimulate a feeling of satiety sooner thus lowering appetitie, but if the diet is low in satiating nutrients, more will ultimately need to be consumed until enough have been ingested to reach a state the body is happy with.

If you only focus on "calories in vs calories out" (aka CICO) your body will find ways to compensate, you might initially lose weight but find it rebounds.

Dex-chan lover
Be honest if the main girl was drawn as a real overweight whale how many of you would read this.
There is no universal "overweight" look. Same amount of overweight mass on the same bodyheigt can look vastly diffferent (and thus vastly more ore less good) depending on where the fat gathers and how the rest of the body is formed. Eg fat rolls with tiny boobs and broad hips look way worse than on a body where there are also big boobs and thus a more classically "attractive" body proportion is still present. It also is a huge matter of how flabby the overweight mass is. In case of the manga, the way the girl is designed, its not really unrealsitic. I know a chubby girl with roughly the same bodytype and it looks fine.

Dex-chan lover
(I'm going to assume around 5 foot 6/ 170cm, maybe slightly shorter since Japan)
The average height for adult women is 1m58. 1m70 is too "big" for what she look like, she was not draw taller than everyone else so it's safe to assume that her height is between 1m40 to 1m50 since she is young and still growing.

Dex-chan lover
Instead of hollywood homely, she's hollywood fat.
But yeah, agree with others here, 66 kg for her is not really that fat.

Dex-chan lover

On a semi related note.
https://mangadex.org/title/2b696f83-e197-45a7-9b4c-4703e8d0adbb/pocha-pocha-suieibu

To address a few other posters talking about reducing food consumption here we are still stuck at the calories in calories out trap, which is extremely limited and is promoted by companies like coca coola because it doesn't actually address the real issue with how the body regulates its weight since it only checks the accounting of how much energy is going in and out of the body system when what we need to focus on is the why and how of our hormonal regulatory systems that control how hungry we feel and what our body does with the food we consume because it can do things like uncoupling mitochondrial function that burns more energy to generate heat upping the metabolic rate and increasing the calories out at the other end it can induce lethargy; minimising energy expenditure on movement so that the metabolic rate goes down and reduces the calories out. Both of these are ultimately hormonally controlled and heavily affected by what we eat, how often or in what format we eat because of how this affects hormones like insulin. On the other side of the equation factors like food satiety acting as another crucial factor driving the calories in, foods high in essential nutrients such as protein, cholesterol, or various minerals will stimulate a feeling of satiety sooner thus lowering appetitie, but if the diet is low in satiating nutrients, more will ultimately need to be consumed until enough have been ingested to reach a state the body is happy with.

If you only focus on "calories in vs calories out" (aka CICO) your body will find ways to compensate, you might initially lose weight but find it rebounds.

Calories in calories out does actually work. It's not a trap at all.

If you do stick to a bunch of "zero calorie beverages" that aren't just plain water, yeah there is research saying that that ultimately increases your desire for sweets/sugar (I forget specifics on what I read). So do beware of that.

But on CICO, you will be doing it for the rest of your life. And that your "calories out" will decrease as you lose weight. So don't rush it, don't do it in a way that feels like torture. You're going to have plateaus, you're going to have even minor reversals if you're hyper fixated on it. It's okay. The rest of your body needs time to adjust to what you're doing. Sometimes you'll have off days.

You also have to learn that it's okay to feel hungry, and what satiety actually feels like. Since hunger only indicates the body wants food, not that it needs a lot of it. Satiety isn't feeling bloated too.

Your hormonal balance, your satiety, etc will change as you lose weight (particularly belly fat) too. Alongside your general eating patterns changing with it. And you should notice it, provided you didn't make it an ordeal (where in that case, your body's too busy still screaming at you that it's too uncomfortable for you to notice).

-

Frankly: my first year/ year-and-a-half, I still ate almost exclusively junk and fast food. I even still had regular (but decreasing) empty calories, like soda/diet soda.

I completely ignored weight until someone told me I looked like I lost weight. And the first time I weighed in after over a year, I was down 20 pounds.

(Yes I did do some exercise during this time too, but 10-15 minutes a week max, and several times less than that. This increased in frequency and regularity over the years).

I'll also admit that by the 3rd year, I did seek food alternatives, namely learning to cook some delicious meals for myself. Taught me how much restaurants and premade/packaged foods tend to overload on fats/sugars/salts. And well, the activity in the kitchen from cooking and cleaning probably helped increase my calories out.

-

For closing clarity: I feel I mostly agree with what you've said, other than framing it as a trap. I feel we are mostly in agreement about the specifics, but the overall consensus on it is very different.

Dex-chan lover
The average height for adult women is 1m58. 1m70 is too "big" for what she look like, she was not draw taller than everyone else so it's safe to assume that her height is between 1m40 to 1m50 since she is young and still growing.
That's probably too short of a range, considering how she looked initially. Most growth spurts happen in early to mid teens for boys and girls, and typically earlier for girls. I'd assume she's maybe 6 to 8 cm (2.5-3 inches) from her end height, so I assume around 152cm (5 feet).

Was going by the listed number in the previous chapter when she input her weight/height, though I assume that was the "game defaults".

If she were around 152-153cm, then yeah, she would fall into the overweight category by adult calculation for her previously mentioned weight. But she still barely looks it, especially in recent chapters. Even initially, I would assume she's barely into overweight category at worst.

Either way, there's a reason the reader doesn't get to know her height. At least for now. Because that would probably put in large amounts of disbelief if done wrong.

Contributor
Calories in calories out does actually work. It's not a trap at all.

If you do stick to a bunch of "zero calorie beverages" that aren't just plain water, yeah there is research saying that that ultimately increases your desire for sweets/sugar (I forget specifics on what I read). So do beware of that.

But on CICO, you will be doing it for the rest of your life. And that your "calories out" will decrease as you lose weight. So don't rush it, don't do it in a way that feels like torture. You're going to have plateaus, you're going to have even minor reversals if you're hyper fixated on it. It's okay. The rest of your body needs time to adjust to what you're doing. Sometimes you'll have off days.

You also have to learn that it's okay to feel hungry, and what satiety actually feels like. Since hunger only indicates the body wants food, not that it needs a lot of it. Satiety isn't feeling bloated too.

Your hormonal balance, your satiety, etc will change as you lose weight (particularly belly fat) too. Alongside your general eating patterns changing with it. And you should notice it, provided you didn't make it an ordeal (where in that case, your body's too busy still screaming at you that it's too uncomfortable for you to notice).

-

Frankly: my first year/ year-and-a-half, I still ate almost exclusively junk and fast food. I even still had regular (but decreasing) empty calories, like soda/diet soda.

I completely ignored weight until someone told me I looked like I lost weight. And the first time I weighed in after over a year, I was down 20 pounds.

(Yes I did do some exercise during this time too, but 10-15 minutes a week max, and several times less than that. This increased in frequency and regularity over the years).

I'll also admit that by the 3rd year, I did seek food alternatives, namely learning to cook some delicious meals for myself. Taught me how much restaurants and premade/packaged foods tend to overload on fats/sugars/salts. And well, the activity in the kitchen from cooking and cleaning probably helped increase my calories out.

-

For closing clarity: I feel I mostly agree with what you've said, other than framing it as a trap. I feel we are mostly in agreement about the specifics, but the overall consensus on it is very different.

I think you might have missed my point here mate.
You can restrict energy intake but it's far more productive to understand how food affects your body and use that to control what and when you want to eat.

Dex-chan lover
I think you might have missed my point here mate.
You can restrict energy intake but it's far more productive to understand how food affects your body and use that to control what and when you want to eat.

Ah I see. I agree with that. I feel you should have just said that then honestly, but fair enough.

Users who are viewing this thread