[Mainsite] Titles in romaji

Contributor
Some people are angry because the english main title of some manga was changed to the romaji one.

I know there is the project to localise the language of the titles displayed. And I remember that there was a thread about which one to choose english or romanji for manga (funnily there isn't this problem with manhwa or manhua).

So I would like a definite answer to link it to angry people...Because while Mangadex is free and ad free, how does MD dare changing the names of manga, even if it's changed by contributors??

Also there is still the problem with that we can't change the language of the main titles without the API because the setting isn't implemented...:fml:

Last edited:
Solution
Afaik there isn't much of a hard rule, though the tooltip for the title at the top of the series edit page says:
75mlgtE.png

So long as it's not some mtl garbage even an unofficial one based on the JP title isn't really that big of a problem (see twitter oneshots)

The actual big problem though is, what is the series commonly known as, i.e lets a series has had a romaji title for years and all of the sudden someone swaps it over to the official english title, many people will be confused so even if it's the official one it'd probably get changed back again.

But well, "weebs" & "nerds" being what we are, the majority probably prefer it being in Romaji. (When in doubt, Romaji)

But yeah...
File Attacher
Staff
Super Moderator
Afaik there isn't much of a hard rule, though the tooltip for the title at the top of the series edit page says:
75mlgtE.png

So long as it's not some mtl garbage even an unofficial one based on the JP title isn't really that big of a problem (see twitter oneshots)

The actual big problem though is, what is the series commonly known as, i.e lets a series has had a romaji title for years and all of the sudden someone swaps it over to the official english title, many people will be confused so even if it's the official one it'd probably get changed back again.

But well, "weebs" & "nerds" being what we are, the majority probably prefer it being in Romaji. (When in doubt, Romaji)

But yeah.. this will be resolved whenever the alt title rework comes around, since you're supposed to be able to select a preferred language :huh:

Solution
Coming here since I was about to open a thread asking about this.
Recently I was having trouble finding series (mainly ones I already followed, but also works I know when clicking on tags or authors) because their title was changed to an English translation or the English localization, moreso since I usually don't keep up with localizations of any kind, communities and whatelse.
So I wanted to ask if there was a way to change the default for titles to romaji and be done with the confusion...

But yeah.. this will be resolved whenever the alt title rework comes around, since you're supposed to be able to select a preferred language :huh:
... but I suppose that's a feature that's still in the works?
The search function reacts perfectly to Japanese titles and acronyms so I will just keep using that until then.

Double-page supporter
I like the English titles. The updates page is so lacking in information I wish the titles were English. At least I know what I'm reading that way. The picture Art always changes and the titles are illegible gibberish. I like the English titles more...

Dex-chan lover
Poked the devs over the title rework, since the romaji "purists" are title editing works that have official English titles decided by their authors/Japanese publishers...even a hundred chapters in. And the disruption to pattern recognition is seriously getting irritating. :facepalm:
There is also the opposite, when a renowned manga gets an official translation; or even worse, when the author themself is a moron and decide to change the title of the manga, 100 chapter in, with something completely unrelated to the content of the manga items.

What I suggest is an objective and definitive rule on how the manga should be named (whichever they decide to be; I don't care what it is, as long as it's there), and a statute of limitations on the ability to change the "main" title: like, after 2 years, 50 chapters or 30'000 followers the "main" title cannot be changed, no matter what. Any change should be done on the "secondary" titles, or "alternative" titles.

Users who are viewing this thread