Make it really hard to just whimsically change Title names.

Dex-chan lover
This is a constant pain. Original language title changed to English equiv. Next guy changes it back to Original language. It's a little tug of war with posters.

re: please go home! akutsu san
re: isekai shokan ojisan no ju muso life sabage suki salary man ha kaisha owari ni isekai he chokuki suru

Just to name two from today I follow. Russian, China and others. Don't have this problem. Only Japanese titles suffer this problem. Reminds me of when Google had to step in and correct 1000's for Japanese words (google translate) that were sabotaged by incorrect suggestions.

My take on this. The title should be not changed easily. I dread to say this "It should be moderated." Prove why the tittle should be changed. ie: a missing space, sometimes wa and wo in the title wrong. Or other language syntax problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 5
Contributor
Not allowing people to change title is not a good solution. You'll just have a ton of alt title with their variant...

We already have problems like 5 alt japanese romaji title because people don't read rules...
With people writing for example ō or ou or oo and people putting space before particles or not...

Edit: Just so you, reader, know, MD only want to use the ou way for romaji!

Contributor
This is really only happening because some people either don't know or don't respect that there is a guideline regarding Main Titles:

MD Title Guideline.JPG

According to this, unofficial English titles should not be used as Main titles. It has to be either official (i.e. title used by an official Licensor) or the romaji title.

Dex-chan lover
According to this, unofficial English titles should not be used as Main titles. It has to be either official (i.e. title used by an official Licensor) or the romaji title.
so an eff ton of mangas not having official english title should be reverted then :kek:

Dex-chan lover
so an eff ton of mangas not having official english title should be reverted then :kek:
I think so. But with some exceptions. The kind people who work in Russian, Korean and Chinese manga's do so by releasing in English tittles. Only using a official, original tittle would severely limit it's readership in the case of those three languages. MD is very concentric around romaji tittles to the point about anybody can get the gist of it. I don't know the language, but I can follow sometimes reading the tittle.

Contributor
Note that the rule says:

2.4.1. The language set for a title should reflect the official or officially localized name for that language region.

It does NOT say official English localized name.

According to the rule, Атака титанов would be a valid main title for Attack on Titan since that's the official Russian title. You're not likely to see it often, but it would be totally OK by the rules. It's an official localized title. Totally valid. That's just one of many examples. Same would apply for an official Spanish title, official French title, official German title, official Korean title... I'm pretty sure that is not the intended outcome. This ambiguity is partially what feeds edit wars.

I think there are a few of ways to approach this:

Option A - Declare we're an English-centric site
Staff decide to insert the word "English" into the existing rule. Screw the non-English world. Personally, saying only English localized titles makes as much sense to me as saying only official German localized titles. Why alienate all of the international readers who may not know English? I don't think this option reflects the values of the site, as evidenced by all of the localization efforts the team has put into the site over the years.

Option B - Go purist
Original titles (Romanized) only. The MAL approach. I think this is a bad idea for the same reason many users don't use MAL anymore. It is more defensible than Option A, being fair to all, but a lot of readers would hate it.

I'm one of the people that like to see titles in my own language. However, I acknowledge it is selfish and ethnocentric of me to force my native language preference on others. Whenever I try to evaluate the fairness of a system, I try to put myself in the shoes of the most disadvantaged party. I don't think a Brazilian reader shouldn't have to be forced to have a bunch of titles in English any more than I should be forced to see default titles in Brazilian Portuguese on a Manga site.

Those two options are the low-effort options, involving a simple rule change. The next one would require a bit of work.

Option C - User preference
We have all of the data points in the database that we need. We have country of origin for the work. We (usually) have the title in the matching language. We have titles in various other languages. There's no need to have the main title field at the top of the edit page anymore. Sites like Kitsu follow this approach with great success.

An example of the priority could be:

1. User preferred language, if it exists
2. Official Country, Romanized, if it exists
3. Official Country, Native Script, if exists
4. Legacy Main Title

What's that Legacy Title thing all about? Well, that's your fallback. Some titles only have the main title. You don't want people making new ones or really using them anymore, but things could break for a lot of titles if you didn't provide a mechanism to display them if they're all that exist. There are a couple of ways to handle that. One way is make them read-only and totally hidden from editor/contributor view. Another imperfect way is create a dummy language called "legacy title" and move it in there, so that editors can remove them over time as part of data cleanup efforts, similar to when we added support for multiple language titles in the first place. I'm just brainstorming here. I'm sure the big brains on the API and UX teams could come up with something better.

I'm not saying the priority order I came up with is perfect. You could argue a different order. Even better, design the user preference system so that they can order them themselves!

If you have a preference system, then users could decide they want to see titles in their own language, romaji, or whatever, and then everyone is happy. Main Title edit wars over.

It would take more work than the first two options, but I think the results would be worth it.

EDIT: Just saw this: https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/display-manga-titles-in-preferred-language-planned.1107045/

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Note that the rule says:

2.4.1. The language set for a title should reflect the official or officially localized name for that language region.

It does NOT say official English localized name.

According to the rule, Атака титанов would be a valid main title for Attack on Titan since that's the official Russian title. You're not likely to see it often, but it would be totally OK by the rules. It's an official localized title. Totally valid. That's just one of many examples. Same would apply for an official Spanish title, official French title, official German title, official Korean title... I'm pretty sure that is not the intended outcome. This ambiguity is partially what feeds edit wars.

I think there are a few of ways to approach this:

Option A - Declare we're an English-centric site
Staff decide to insert the word "English" into the existing rule. Screw the non-English world. Personally, saying only English localized titles makes as much sense to me as saying only official German localized titles. Why alienate all of the international readers who may not know English? I don't think this option reflects the values of the site, as evidenced by all of the localization efforts the team has put into the site over the years.

Option B - Go purist
Original titles (Romanized) only. The MAL approach. I think this is a bad idea for the same reason many users don't use MAL anymore. It is more defensible than Option A, being fair to all, but a lot of readers would hate it.

I'm one of the people that like to see titles in my own language. However, I acknowledge it is selfish and ethnocentric of me to force my native language preference on others. Whenever I try to evaluate the fairness of a system, I try to put myself in the shoes of the most disadvantaged party. I don't think a Brazilian reader shouldn't have to be forced to have a bunch of titles in English any more than I should be forced to see default titles in Brazilian Portuguese on a Manga site.

Those two options are the low-effort options, involving a simple rule change. The next one would require a bit of work.

Option C - User preference
We have all of the data points in the database that we need. We have country of origin for the work. We (usually) have the title in the matching language. We have titles in various other languages. There's no need to have the main title field at the top of the edit page anymore. Sites like Kitsu follow this approach with great success.

An example of the priority could be:

1. User preferred language, if it exists
2. Official Country, Romanized, if it exists
3. Official Country, Native Script, if exists
4. Legacy Main Title

What's that Legacy Title thing all about? Well, that's your fallback. Some titles only have the main title. You don't want people making new ones or really using them anymore, but things could break for a lot of titles if you didn't provide a mechanism to display them if they're all that exist. There are a couple of ways to handle that. One way is make them read-only and totally hidden from editor/contributor view. Another imperfect way is create a dummy language called "legacy title" and move it in there, so that editors can remove them over time as part of data cleanup efforts, similar to when we added support for multiple language titles in the first place. I'm just brainstorming here. I'm sure the big brains on the API and UX teams could come up with something better.

I'm not saying the priority order I came up with is perfect. You could argue a different order. Even better, design the user preference system so that they can order them themselves!

If you have a preference system, then users could decide they want to see titles in their own language, romaji, or whatever, and then everyone is happy. Main Title edit wars over.

It would take more work than the first two options, but I think the results would be worth it.

EDIT: Just saw this: https://forums.mangadex.org/threads/display-manga-titles-in-preferred-language-planned.1107045/
Option A IMHO not workable. MD caters to the WORLD. By following "A option" We could lose all other languages and trans groups. JP trans groups are always looking for translators. And so are many, many other language trans groups. Biggest reason "A" won't work. Some Spanish groups wait for an English translation to do a Spanish version. Flip side it could lead to some Engrish errors. re: look up "All your bases belong to us"

Option B IMHO also not workable. This would be a big "F-U" to any non-Japanese groups. Ok, I could miss out on a great Russian manga. If there is no translation to English. My preference is set to English. I very well could be missing out on some great stuff.

Option C Thanks for the forums pointer. If the devs make that work there will be a conflict for me. My preference as stated before is English. But I am sort-of-a-purist-of-kanji-tittles-wanted. If there was a planned option of separate language + tittle language. It would be English trans, Kanji tittles. Kinda makes me a freak.

Thanks for realizing there is a tittle war among power posters (they are the only one who can make a change) besides management.

Users who are viewing this thread